Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Charvel Custom Shop celebrates its 40th anniversary

I know it's a different thing with basses as the string tension is significantly higher but maybe this could work here, too. I am a member of a bass forum and some of those guys with a similar problem did the following: First loosen the truss rod nut. Then put the neck in a vice. Make sure to use rubber pads or such in order not to damage the neck where it is in the vice. Try to bend the neck in the relief direction (but don't break it!) and hold for a little while. Check with a straight edge if the neck has moved and has relief now. If not you can try to place the neck on a work bench. Then use a clamp and place it around the middle of the fret board (again make sure you use a rubber pad or such where the clamp touches the neck) and apply pressure to the neck by tightening the clamp. Be careful, not too much at once. Leave it sitting there for a couple of days. Take the clamp off and check with a straight edge if you have relief. If not or not enough, try again. Sometimes those guys apply moisture and carefully use a heat gun to dry it. I guess this all depends on if the neck has a finish applied or not as finished necks will not "suck up" the moisture. The neck needs to be held in this position for some days. Maybe this helps.

If that doesn't help you can remove the frets, tighten the truss rod so it has a slight back bow. Then plane the neck and and redo the radius. recut the fret slots and refret it. This way at least you don't have to change the truss rod.

Ahh.. so it does have a two way truss rod. Fender and Carvin/Kiesel use those. I've never really had to use one to put relief. Thankfully I haven't had any truss rod issues with a guitar... yet.

8 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

Ahh.. so it does have a two way truss rod. Fender and Carvin/Kiesel use those. I've never really had to use one to put relief. Thankfully I haven't had any truss rod issues with a guitar... yet.

What makes you think that? The repair option I suggested can be applied to a one way truss rod.

I love all things Charvel/Jackson but really hate that Fender owns them. Fender treats them like crap!! They limit their space and took some of their Luthiers. It makes me sick. I love the Star body. I have a Charvel Star. Black with just one humbucker. It`s the import model but one day I will find a USA one!!

5 hours ago, Hardrockracer said:

First loosen the truss rod nut. Then put the neck in a vice. Make sure to use rubber pads or such in order not to damage the neck where it is in the vice. Try to bend the neck in the relief direction (but don't break it!) and hold for a little while. Check with a straight edge if the neck has moved and has relief now. If not you can try to place the neck on a work bench. Then use a clamp and place it around the middle of the fret board (again make sure you use a rubber pad or such where the clamp touches the neck) and apply pressure to the neck by tightening the clamp. Be careful, not too much at once. Leave it sitting there for a couple of days. Take the clamp off and check with a straight edge if you have relief. If not or not enough, try again. Sometimes those guys apply moisture and carefully use a heat gun to dry it. I guess this all depends on if the neck has a finish applied or not as finished necks will not "suck up" the moisture. The neck needs to be held in this position for some days. Maybe this helps.

Thanks for the tip... Believe it or not, I've already tried this... but I think I'll try it again for a longer period & this time under humid conditions... meh, now that I examine it closer, I think I'll just have it planed as it needs new frets anyways & it's really not that far off... I oiled it, maybe that'll help?.. Don't laugh... much to my surprise, it actually worked on a severely warped Butcher Block cutting board...cAfGZ7j.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived