Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Can I get your opinions?

Travis

Ok, I posed this question to my wife just now:

”if money is no object, does it make sense to have a bunch of different guitars or several of the same guitar set up completely differently?”

Her response: “a bunch of different guitars”

now, to me, that sounds like permission...  😉

30 minutes ago, Toadroller said:

Well, is it?

We have something sizeable going this year. As of 1/1/20, it will not be a factor. 

11 hours ago, Travis said:

Ok, I posed this question to my wife just now:

”if money is no object, does it make sense to have a bunch of different guitars or several of the same guitar set up completely differently?”

Her response: “a bunch of different guitars”

now, to me, that sounds like permission...  😉

If money is no object, you do both. Either way, "permission" is for man-children.  

10 hours ago, Dutchman said:

I’ve found it’s easier to get forgivness than it is permission. But I’ve been married 3 times so my advice is kinda shaky 🤯

+1 on begging forgiveness vs. asking permission. That said, my one and only wife has been a real sport in enabling/perpetuating my disease. This, all while questioning my need for more guitars. How can you go wrong there?

"Ooh, look baby- a purple '89 USA Cali LE just popped up on Reverb!"

"Don't you have one of those?" 

"Not like THIS one!"

"I hope you're not gonna put that on the credit card! Besides, don't you have a birthday coming up in 6 months?"

"Why yes, yes I do. But that Cali is not gonna be there in 6 months, trust me!"

"Well, we can make this an early b-day present; are you okay with not having something to open that day?"

<Hitting the BUY button> "I'm sorry, what did you say, dear?"

Just remember - angry hooters aren't for squeezing.

That said, get a variety of guitars, but find a good one of each. If you get the same kind every time, you'll always pick up the one the feels the best, making dust collectors out of the others (which is why so many great Hamers left here). Getting a good example of different types gives you options based on the situation or what you're in the mood for.

15 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

Just remember - angry hooters aren't for squeezing.

That said, get a variety of guitars, but find a good one of each. If you get the same kind every time, you'll always pick up the one the feels the best, making dust collectors out of the others (which is why so many great Hamers left here). Getting a good example of different types gives you options based on the situation or what you're in the mood for.

Somehow, I've managed to avoid that scenario. Sure, I have my faves but I find the time to pick up almost every one of my Cali's (including the double neck) at least once in a week. Truth is, they're all on pretty equal footing as far as playability and quality go. I've made a few small adjustments to create a little variety and give each it's own subtle, distinctive voice- different pickups, different tunings, different trems (Schaller or OFR) , some with kill switches, others with push/pull pots for coil splitting. But by and large, they all play really well.

The bitch is gonna be trying to decide what goes when its time to thin the herd. We have tentative plans for early retirement to a nice beach property that won't likely accept the entirety of the herd as it now stands. 😕  

FWIW, when I was collecting (and not actively playing in a band), my, er, philosophy was to take a "one of each"/"token example" approach. I had one Les Paul, one P-Bass, etc. and if a nicer example came along, I'd often recycle. The idea was that the collection was somewhat of a retirement nest egg.

Beginning around 1997, however, my collection was slowly thinned out, because for our household, money did become an object. 

Sold off the bulk of the remaining instruments in 2016, following retirement from the day job. Don't want the Missus and the Princess to be saddled with the responsibility of handling and dispersing a buncha heavy guitar cases (and their contents) after I'm gone. The special bank account we set up is easier for them to access.

The point is, the Missus and I communicated about my approach all along, and I followed through with my ultimate plans. The one bit of bitterness toward the way things turned out is that I had to sell off a lot of them at various times due to economic circumstances beyond our control. Every single instrument sold when I had to sell something would have appreciated considerably in value by now. At the time, I'd had to treat 'em like an investment that was cashed in early, and while that was being pragmatic, I still get resentful when I recall what happened and why, and one bizarre fantasy bucket list item for me is that I'd still like to dance on the graves of a couple of big business power mongers that put us in such undeserved circumstances.

But I recognize that life's not fair, and things turned out OK. We're living comfortably if not luxuriously...but we've never aspired to a life of luxury anyway. The point is, IMO collecting needs to consider ultimate (financial) circumstances down the road. 

12 hours ago, Travis said:

We have something sizeable going this year. As of 1/1/20, it will not be a factor. 

Wow. Count your blessings. And congrats. :)

I love getting different guitars and don’t like redundancy...so only one P90s, one Tele, one sss Strat, one 2 bucker guitar with PAFs, etc.

In my 40 years of collecting, I tended to go for customs, one-offs, limited runs and prototypes, no two ever the same, although some were pretty close.  Since everything hangs on the wall, it had to catch my eye and make me happy.  I gig with only about a half dozen, all custom made for me, so the rest primarily serve as eye candy, although they do get played from time to time.  I also got into neon big time for awhile and still seem to collect and turn over amps on a regular basis, although no more big stuff.  My dreams of playing the big stadium shows never panned out, although I did do a show at the Hollywood Bowl back in the 60’s.  As I collected and hung guitars, neon signs and other memorabilia, I’d have to reconfigure their placement to make more room.  Now and then, the Mrs. would come down to the band room and take a count, then accuse me of adding more.  Then she stopped counting and would just say, “Hey, I haven’t seen that one before.”  I’d deny it was new and tell her that I just moved it from the corner.  Eventually, she just stopped coming down. 

2 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Wow. Count your blessings. And congrats. :)

I love getting different guitars and don’t like redundancy...so only one P90s, one Tele, one sss Strat, one 2 bucker guitar with PAFs, etc.

Well...  techincally, money isn't the issue now either. It's "priorities"....

Our once per year vacation is in less than 2 months, savings, retirement, the boy's college, paying off the house on an accelerated plan, etc...  

I did way more collecting years ago when I was less financially responsible.  It was fun and I had a bunch of cool guitars.  Now is a totally different story.  That being said, after this year with some of the stuff we have going, I can get into some REALLY cool guitars.

I like what you're saying.  Perhaps "one of everything" is the way to go...  :lol:

I prefer variety. I have owned and bought, sold and traded well over 100 guitars at minimum. Recently I was up to 16 guitars. I have imposed my own limit to 10. I am down to 9 right now which means...... I am looking for another one. The hardest part is which one, where and at what price-Ugh!!

Archived