Hamer Fan Club Message Center

R9 Brazilians, anyone get one?

Tortious

I see them for like $11-12k at Music Zoo for the aged ones, that does nothing for me. Apparently Dave's is carrying them too, but has no pictures or pricing of their Gibson inventory on their site. I've seen a few used ones pop up there and get snatched up for 7 grand within minutes (though an '03 Bigsby-equipped one seems to be languishing at that price).

I'm curious if anyone has one, or even played one of the current ones. I think there's a lot more compelling stuff in that price range, but I do wonder if they bother to put a little bit of QC effort into them. Curious if they can compare favorably to some of the high end copy builders or a full on Historic Renovations job.

Okay, here is an opinion from another angle.  I KNOW that a lot of people think that, "Only a Les Paul is a Les Paul".  BUT, for under $5k, you can pick up a PRS Modern Eagle 1for (probably) under $5k. What is so special about that? Well, it has a solid Brazilian Rosewood NECK. And is magic. Granted, it is a 25" scale. ("How unauthentic!")

FWIW, mine is a singlecut WITH trem. I would, SERIOUSLY, stack it up against any Gibson LP I have ever played.....For playability, tone, balance, etc. The pickups (57/08s) are spectacular. And the original suede leather hardshell case, alone, some say, is worth $1k.

So, you want to pay THOUSANDS above the otherwise market value of an R9 because it has a Brazilian BOARD? Well, cool. Knock yourself out. Not in my world. Ever hear about "the greater fool theory?"

For that matter, I have had three Nik Hubers with solid Brazilian NECKS. My average purchase price? Roughly $4500. I have never played ANY Les Paul that I would pick over any of the three in terms of tone or playability. (I am not stupid.....I WOULD take an original 50s version. But I would flip it).

8 minutes ago, django49 said:

Okay, here is an opinion from another angle.  I KNOW that a lot of people think that, "Only a Les Paul is a Les Paul".  BUT, for under $5k, you can pick up a PRS Modern Eagle 1for (probably) under $5k. What is so special about that? Well, it has a solid Brazilian Rosewood NECK. And is magic. Granted, it is a 25" scale. ("How unauthentic!")

FWIW, mine is a singlecut WITH trem. I would, SERIOUSLY, stack it up against any Gibson LP I have ever played.....For playability, tone, balance, etc. The pickups (57/08s) are spectacular. And the original suede leather hardshell case, alone, some say, is worth $1k.

So, you want to pay THOUSANDS above the otherwise market value of an R9 because it has a Brazilian BOARD? Well, cool. Knock yourself out. Not in my world. Ever hear about "the greater fool theory?"

For that matter, I have had three Nik Hubers with solid Brazilian NECKS. My average purchase price? Roughly $4500. I have never played ANY Les Paul that I would pick over any of the three in terms of tone or playability. (I am not stupid.....I WOULD take an original 50s version. But I would flip it).

So, you’ve never owned an R9 Brazilian?

DGS has had a few, but they go fast.  I found one recent previous DGS listing via Google to use as an example (barely used but still used at seven grand, no affiliation, BTW), there's probably some more sold CS Brazilian '59 LP reissues from  DGS  to find in the Google archives:

https://davesguitar.com/products/gibson/historic-59-reissue-les-paul-standard-brazilian-18-6/

To be honest, rosewood is rosewood to me. I prefer ebony and I also like maple enough. With the new trend of roasted maple there should be no finish required. I wouldn't recognize R9 rosewood anyway. Did Hamer use it on their guitars? I only have two Hamer guitars with rosewood board, I see no magic in there.

1 hour ago, Hamer_SS_guy said:

To be honest, rosewood is rosewood to me. I prefer ebony and I also like maple enough. With the new trend of roasted maple there should be no finish required. I wouldn't recognize R9 rosewood anyway.

Couldn't have said it better.  

Did all 4-digits have brazilian? I doubt it, but I guess some had it. One of mine I'm 99% sure has a braz board. The others, could be I don't know.

For 5 K you can (probably still) get a 4-digit if you look around. I'd take a 4 digit any day over a 10K LP (okay, not if you gave the LP to me for free.... but if I had to choose from shelling out 5 K on a 4 digit or 10 K on an LP). And I'd take a 4 digit any day of the week over a PRS or a Huber or most other hot TGP fashion brands.

3 hours ago, Hamer_SS_guy said:

To be honest, rosewood is rosewood to me. I prefer ebony and I also like maple enough. With the new trend of roasted maple there should be no finish required. I wouldn't recognize R9 rosewood anyway. Did Hamer use it on their guitars? I only have two Hamer guitars with rosewood board, I see no magic in there.

+1.  As long as it ain't Richlite.

14 hours ago, crunchee said:

+1.  As long as it ain't Richlite.

Nothing wrong with Richlite.  I’ve had 3 guitars with it (still own 2), and it’s virtually indistinguishable from ebony.  

7 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

DGTs & Hubers ROCK!

Im sure they do. But I'd still take the 4-digit Standard. 'Cause the rock the most. :-)

7 minutes ago, jim777 said:

For a lot of people, it seems their eyes see "Brazilian" and their brain translates that to "MAGIC".

It certainly is for resale value, though.  Not that I understand it.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, edgar_allan_poe said:

When I was active in the guitar trading/buying scene i made sure I got Brazilian whenever I could.  I did it for resale value.  Guitars with Braz boards move quicker and for more money and there is no disputing that fact.

However...if I had a dollar for every time I heard somebody (usually on TGP) look at a photo posted on the internet and claim they could tell it was Brazilian (which you can't tell from a photo, sorry), I'd be retired in a tropical paradise right about now.

13 hours ago, cmatthes said:

However...if I had a dollar for every time I heard somebody (usually on TGP) look at a photo posted on the internet and claim they could tell it was Brazilian (which you can't tell from a photo, sorry), I'd be retired in a tropical paradise right about now.

In fact, the only thing sustaining the "value" of Braz Rosewood is TGP and the dopes who believe what they read there.
The only thing which makes one more expensive than the other is perceived value. They say perception is everything but you can't hear or feel a difference.

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

In fact, the only thing sustaining the "value" of Braz Rosewood is TGP and the dopes who believe what they read there.
The only thing which makes one more expensive than the other is perceived value. They say perception is everything but you can't hear or feel a difference.

Most of the guitar industry is based on "perceived value"..Besides if you suck, 7k and Brazilian Rosewood isn't going to make the suck go away. 

Just now, bubs_42 said:

Besides if you suck, 7k and Brazilian Rosewood isn't going to make the suck go away. 

Well, you just saved me $7,000!

Thanks, bubs!

6 hours ago, kizanski said:

Partially true...I agree that there is little to no difference in tone or feel between the two.  However, the expense of Braz is also somewhat based on the fact that it is rare.  So supply and demand will always be in its favor.

52 minutes ago, edgar_allan_poe said:

Partially true...I agree that there is little to no difference in tone or feel between the two.  However, the expense of Braz is also somewhat based on the fact that it is rare.  So supply and demand will always be in its favor.

Who let this guy back in?

23 hours ago, cmatthes said:

...surrounded by rosewood trees.

Archived