Hamer Fan Club Message Center

David Gilmour Auctioning 120 Guitars, including the BLACK STRAT.

Oh damn. Wow. That guitar is iconic. I wonder if some company will buy it to try to replicate the secrets it holds.

https://www.christies.com/features/David-Gilmour-legendary-Black-Strat-comes-to-auction-9637-3.aspx

3 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

#0001 ought to have more interest from collectors than the black Strat.  Both will go way beyond that $150,000 estimate.

Those 'estimates' are complete B.S.  The Cult of Celebrity will put many prices head-to-head with Clapton's auction results.  Remember Ringo Starr's auction?  His Hamer Newport had an estimate of $2-3K....it sold for $7,000.  I doubt he even PLAYED it.

Yeah, looking at these items, those estimates are all low. Many are incredible collector's guitars in their own right, but the fact that they were used on famous recordings makes them even more so.  Pre-production 1954 Strat? DAAANNG.

Reading the article, they are going to have a bunch of previews in various locations before the auction, so they'll be probably flying those guitars first class, unless Christie's has its own jet.  It's gonna make a ton of $$$... but the amount of money spend marketing them all will also be $$$.

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

I'd rather have #0001, honestly.  THAT shit is hot!

57608518.jpg?w=380

Meh. It doesn't appear vintage correct when compared to my FCS Limited Anniversary Edition '54 Reissue Yamano Custom Shop Special Order # 54 of 54 signed by the estate of Buddy Holly.

5 minutes ago, cynic said:

Meh. It doesn't appear vintage correct when compared to my FCS Limited Anniversary Edition '54 Reissue Yamano Custom Shop Special Order # 54 of 54 signed by the estate of Buddy Holly.

True, but I still like it. 

The hype referred to Gilmour's "private collection". Apparently he collected for the sake of collecting as well as acquiring an assemblage of utility instruments...which, of course, he could afford to do. I'd be willing to bet Gilmour never used the White Penguin professionally, although it makes an appearance in Kate Bush's "Love and Anger" video starting at around the 3:10 mark. 

Paging Ben Shin!

Theres a great book about it entitled “Black Strat”, or something, written by his long-time tech. I was surprised to learn it spent a really long time on the wall of a Hard Rock Cafe, and when he asked for it back, they had lost/mistreated it, lost the case, etc, and it needed a fair amount of work done. Seems to have pulled through, haha.

I saw him play the Black Strat at Radio City on the “On an Island” tour. It was the last tour with Rick on keys before he died, and Graham Nash and David Crosby came out to sing all the harmonies for the title track, Shine On, and Find the Cost of Freedom. Unreal.

I also saw him play the Red Strat at the old Yankee Stadium on the Division Bell tour in 94. Didn’t even post a picture on the Christie’s auction- Seems like a steal at 25K...

😆

6 hours ago, kizanski said:

Any idea why he's auctioning all of these off?

Because he's joining a death metal band and needs heavier artillery?

5 hours ago, geoff_hartwell said:

Theres a great book about it entitled “Black Strat”, or something, written by his long-time tech. I was surprised to learn it spent a really long time on the wall of a Hard Rock Cafe, and when he asked for it back, they had lost/mistreated it, lost the case, etc, and it needed a fair amount of work done. Seems to have pulled through, haha.

One can wonder how many instruments donated to the Hard Rock Cafe and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame have had parts changed or even been switched with replicas.  No one will play those instruments again, so would anyone really notice if the pickups under the covers are original?

18 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

I wonder if some company will buy it to try to replicate the secrets it holds.

I don’t believe there is any!

22 minutes ago, texwest said:

Here's David about it.

Good for him..........................seems like a really nice guy with a good heart. What is that saying........................................ what you give to others while your here is what you get to take with you when you leave.

Archived