Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Kiss Feud

See the boys have taken things up notch. I read in Loudwire yesterday the interview with Gene and Paul and thought they were being a little too harsh on Ace and Peter. I’m not disagreeing with their assessment of events but it was a long time ago. Do you really need to dig it up and expose old wounds to the public ?? Well Ace took exception and fired both of his barrels on social media. Let the games begin. 

And I just read yesterday that they were all buddies again, that Gene jammed with Ace in Australia or something, co-wrote some songs on Ace's new project, and Ace fired his backup band and hired Gene's backup band. Not that I care, but the publicity machine seems to be ratcheting up for a new tour. Or something.

1 hour ago, Ed Rechts said:

Why am I not surprised KISS has evolved into the Kardashians?

While not as big, Gene still wears his ass for a hat.

Ace playing a Ovation Breadwinner before they had a record Contract...

Kiss 1.jpg

Kiss 2.jpg

I think they're doing this stuff to divert attention from Paul's blown out voice.  Eddie Trunk had a couple of spots about that and said some folks on the recent Kiss cruise said it seemed like a track may have been playing for his voice.  He also noted that Gene is not doing his usual touting that all of Kiss' vocals are live.  

When Paul has tried singing I Was Made For Loving You it has been like watching a car race waiting for a crash.  There are songs KISS can play that should not be so difficult to sing if they are willing to take a chance on changing up the setlist.  With Ace and Peter gone they could play anything, but the setlist has been way too safe with songs that go over well.  These guys are KISS, so they should be bigger than the songs.  Dropping Lick It Up is not going to ruin everything. 

Yeah, sadly, too many people will buy tickets anyway.  And this will not prevent them from doing it and it will encourage other acts to just do it as well.  The rumor mill says Van Halen will tour with the full original band this year.  Roth has never sounded very good live, but that will be the hook for people to buy tickets.  I saw an article where Gene said that there may be a few shows where Ace and Peter join them on stage.  I'm sure that will sell some of the tickets.  

Foreigner announced Lou Gramm appearing at a few shows, but no one would know which shows until they happened.  Seeing Ace pop up with KISS on the final tour is going to be hit or miss, mostly miss.  To make it work they are going to need some distance between them because if Ace tries hanging around too much all the old problems will creep back in.

57 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

They need to hire the Hottest (Kiss cover) Band in the Land, then sit back and count Brinks trucks with their feet up.

I agree. Specifically I was thinking it should be MINI Kiss or one of the women Kiss bands, or both. Maybe a Battle of the Kiss cover bands.

I am someone who thinks Paul Stanley is up there with Dio and Bruce Dickinson when to comes to one of the best ever vocals in rock, however, he aint 32 anymore and a guitarist can play, to a degree, till he's a hundred but if a rock singer loses even 30% of his vocal ability then IMO he's lost all of it.

2 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

If he does show up, I hope they put him onstage with Thayer, possibly trading licks on the Ace-penned songs, so we can bring this fucktardery to it's inevitable conclusion

i believe Tommy Thayer was Ace's guitar tech before Ace resigned from the band. He would probably have to teach Ace how to play his guitar parts correctly to play them right. There may be some resentment from the fans that Tommy is wearing Ace's makeup & costume, but he nails the guitar parts, doesn't get drunk/high, doesn't argue about money, and is a team player/yes man to Gene & Paul. He also got a college degree recently, gives a portion of his Hughes & Kettner amp sales to charity, and started a charity foundation. He's held that gig for a long time and hasn't screwed up compared to Ace. Tommy Thayer is ok with me, but Ace should be allowed to be part of KISS and not be a part time/special appearance guest musician. 

Guitar George

8 minutes ago, Hamer95USA said:

I believe Tommy Thayer was Ace's guitar tech before Ace resigned from the band.

Tommy Thayer was the band's personal assistant.  He was the guy who took care of last minute details for them.  I saw Tommy getting the guys from a van to a hotel, watching out for trouble as Gene and Paul signed autographs while Ace and Peter slipped past everyone. 

7 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

I know I'll get slagged for this by the KISS fan bois on here, but I see him more as the showster front-man type than those operatic vocalists you mentioned. I really gotta wonder that if he did less time pushing his voice in those trademark enthusiastic stage rants,  he could probably sustain the actual singing he needs to do for 90 minutes or whatever length the band carries on . I wonder if they're afraid to let Gene do the talking between songs for fear he'll lapse into some kind of revival-tent preacher sales-pitch for money from the audience?

Not by me, Kiss is a great band and they all have a certain talent leading to their success.....but Paul is not a great singer at all, he's fine for their music, in fact he's the BEST for their music. In the 70's (approx 76 or 77)I had a chance to buy Pauls Black Firebird from the Alive 2 cover, I wasn't really interested as I did not really like KISS, I guess the fact that I had NO money back then played into it too. I also met them when they rehearsed in a small practice studio in The Bronx, just a bunch of guys, no makeup, had no idea who they were....after they left the studio guy told me they were Kiss and showed me their poster on the wall.....didn't mean much to me then, not sure if I heard of them yet. And YES I wish I had Pauls guitar today, I think it was something like $1200 back then. I've heard it was lost or broken over the years, but I don't follow them enough to know.

5 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

Someone on this message board has a replica of that FB, can't remember who. I dug that one.

Always liked Paul's taste in Gibsons. And he did make the Iceman iconic.

Yeah. I agree. I would have loved to buy a Firebird back then, because I loved Johnny Winter back then too. I just stubled across the guitar hanging in a window on 48th Street NYC around 76/77. I liked the guitar before I even saw that it belonged to Paul.

Archived