Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PRS DGT owners - would love to hear your thoughts

gwayne

I've been looking at these for awhile and would like some feedback on those who own or have owned them. I've had three different PRS - one McCarty and two CU-22 trems. One of the CU-22s was fabulous and I still wonder why I sold it. I want to try something different and the features on the DGT really has my interest piqued.

Great feeling neck, but a little narrow at the nut.  Big frets and stock 11's play like 10's. Love the pickups both humbucking and split coils sound really good and are usable. Did not like the push pull to split the coils, easy enough to change to push/push. Hangs great on a strap. It took my Shishkov to make it replacable.

ArnieZ

10 minutes ago, ArnieZ said:

Great feeling neck, but a little narrow at the nut.  Big frets and stock 11's play like 10's. Love the pickups both humbucking and split coils sound really good and are usable. Did not like the push pull to split the coils, easy enough to change to push/push. Hangs great on a strap. It took my Shishkov to make it replacable.

ArnieZ

That's quite an endorsement. I know you can't tell much from videos, but I have a feeling that a DGT would mate up very well with my Bad Cat Black Cat 15. (Side note Arnie: Your Artist Ultimate is my favorite of that series, just perfect)

IMO, if you are going to get ONE PRS, that is probably the one to get. I might argue that something like the 513 is "more versatile" but that is a bit different critter, given the longer scale, some switching that takes some getting use to, etc. The DGT is probably the better choice if you were pleased with the CU-22.

At one point or another, I have had three different DGTs. Each one was "a cut above". It finally came down to which one was the "most unique"......So I stuck with the one with an "unobtanium" neck, in a nice "dirty natural" finish. Sold one of the others to a member here, the third on Reverb.

Also, you should be able to find them fairly readily at different price points, depending upon your desires and budget.

36115811871_19dfc0648a_k.jpg

36115813671_1ceb65b08e_k.jpg

I picked this one up last year, and it's as plain as they get - 2012 mahogany DGT Standard.  It sounds and plays great - the neck pickup coil-taps to a great strat sound and the bridge does a pretty good tele approximation (even better the coil taps seem to run about 80% of the humbucker volume, so it gets the strat/tele tones without losing too much volume).  Between the big frets and the scale length .011s are surprisingly easy to play (teles with .010s feel tougher to play in comparison), and that trem is very smooth and consistent (doesn't go out of tune very easily).  It's heavier than I usually prefer (8 lbs 4 oz), but really resonates well. I wish i'd had this when the country band was playing out - I could have played this one for all three sets with all the tones it gets. It's in my top three with my parts tele and my Shiskov Ultimate, and has put a lot of my Hamers back on the basement shelving. 

I made a bad mistake being too tapped out to buy ArnieZ's when he sold it - someday I will get the maple-topped version to compare the sounds.

DGT.png

11 minutes ago, RobB said:

I tried. Lord knows, I tried. It was a fine guitar I’m every way. It was just, meh. PRS’s are an enigma. 

I get it. I lusted after a McCarty for years. Finally found one and flipped it the very next day. Guitar did nothing for me, but I relisted it with better photos and made $200 off of it. Best, quickest flip ever.

2 hours ago, Bloozguy said:

Mine was just a humble goldtop, but I loved it. Sounded great plugged into anything. Hated to see it go. I will replace it someday.

vw03l2bd9wq3n30yhzyk.jpg

Nothing humble about that - David Grissom played it's twin for many years. Since I have an LP Goldtop I will probably go with a sunburst, maybe a 10-top but that's never been a selling point for me.

I've got an '09 DGT that I bought used a few years ago for a killer price.

I've got got 37 electric guitars in my collection, and it's  one of the top 5 best guitars in my collection.

I've got quite a few great guitars in my collection,but these are at the top.

The best being based on tone, feel/playability, and tonal versatility.

My top 5 in no order.

'99 Tom Anderson Hollow Drop Top Classic SSh

'83 Gibson ES-335 Dot

'09 PRS DGT

'03 Tom Anderson Hollow T Drop Top HSH w/ switcheroo

'15 Suhr Classic Pro SSH

Here's a pic of my DGT

16277692486_c7a747010f_b.jpg

I had a solid black DGT come through the shop that still haunts me it was just so damn good. I never in my life thought I'd be impressed with a stock PRS pickup but damn, those were some good tones at every knob tick. If that client of mine ever puts it up for sale, I already called dibs.

Image may contain: guitar

23434834_1754428661525977_33470688389219

23471896_1754428384859338_12711814392522

Simple gold top here as well.  Great tones, definitely trends towards the vintage side.  The neck is pretty much perfect for my hand, and I'm neck agnostic for the most part.  It feels like it just disappears in my hand.  It's definitely a 'greater than the sum of its parts' guitar.  The big frets make the .011s feel lighter, and I love having the two volumes. 

dgt01.jpg

I have owned 3.  The second was my favorite of the three, but the DGT is not my favorite PRS.  My favorite PRSi are the early (2001-2006) Singlecuts.  A little heavy but amazing guitars and the neck is a bit girthier than the DGT.

On 1/31/2019 at 7:41 PM, Jeff R said:

I had a solid black DGT come through the shop that still haunts me it was just so damn good. I never in my life thought I'd be impressed with a stock PRS pickup but damn, those were some good tones at every knob tick. If that client of mine ever puts it up for sale, I already called dibs.

Image may contain: guitar

23434834_1754428661525977_33470688389219

23471896_1754428384859338_12711814392522

I've read over and over that the DGT pickups make the guitar. I found a couple I was interested in that had non-stock pickups, so I passed.

• 2 weeks later...

fullsizeoutput_a1d.jpeg

So you guys were right on the money. Nice neck, incredible pickups - especially the split tones. I think I have used it more in single coil mode than in full humbucker mode. And @Jeff R's comment that it sounds good at every click..absolutely correct. Most of my guitars have 3-4 sweet spots. This DGT has countless. I am truly impressed. My '57 Historic with Seths does a better "woman" tone but the DGT excels at pretty much everything else. I know David and Paul tweaked the design for meany years before putting it into production and I have to say they nailed it. It's weird how it still sounds clean even with a heavy distortion pedal like my Suhr Riot. I guess note definition is what I'm trying to describe. @gtrdaddy is correct that it sounds good with anything. Over the weekend I put it through my Mesa Mark-III, BadCat Black Cat 15R and old Fender Super Reverb. Stellar all around. My favorite pairing so far is DGT > OCD set where it is just breaking up > Bad Cat. 

As far as fit and finish, no surprises at all. Typical PRS build, beautiful Honey 10-top which is more yellow than it appears, dark RW board and rosewood overlaid headstock with inlaid PRS signature. I wouldn't have paid extra for the headstock overlay, but after seeing it, I really like it. I am also digging the birds. They've always been a meh feature on PRS, but I like the current style with the pearled outline and abalone interior. These are very colorful and add a nice touch. The case seems much heavier than other PRS cases I've had. Is that my imagination or have they beefed up their cases a little?

The only PRS that's turned my head in years.  They're really, REALLY good guitars.

Archived