Hamer Fan Club Message Center

APOLOGY and...does your partner have much influence over your purchases and sales?

polara

First, a LOUD AND PUBLIC APOLOGY to JustKid, who was ready to buy the Hell Standard Custom. But before money could change hands, Missus Polara let me know she was pissed. Pulling out of a deal is not my normal modus operandi, and I feel bad. But better disappointing you than disappointing my wife!

At one gig, she was so impressed with the guitar that she introduced "Kevin" (her name for it) as the third member of the band. She's repeatedly said to never sell it, and I kinda... ignored her. I should count myself lucky to have a spouse who's mad at me for SELLING gear.

Do any of you have a significant other with strong opinions about your guitars, amps, or what have you? Or are we all brave lone wolves who play by our own rules?

Oh man!

My wife still comments on how she hated all those, "Whachamacallit black boxes in the living room when we were in Los Angeles"......That was a dozen years ago.  (Amplifiers, cabinets, not to mention black hardshell cases). She would, sometimes, walk into the room backwards to make a point.

Now, with a bit of extra space, there is very seldom any major  intrusion into spaces she frequents. But is is pretty much aesthetics.....She just does not want to have to see them or stumble over them. We have sort of separated our "finances" sufficiently that we can each buy/sell as we please without impacting the other or having to switch to Kraft M&C. So, when a big box arrives, she just rolls her eyes.

When an "opportunity to buy something special" recently came up, I was dragging out every reason I could think of to NOT buy. She went all Nike on me......"Just do it already!" Well, who am I to argue with her? 😏

I can't say my wife complains about me selling gear, other than to let me know that I need to do more of that.  There is, however, my first nice guitar, a Martin OM-21 that my wife bought me many years ago that will be passed onto my kids when I leave this gawd forbidden planet.

I think there will be disappointment for JustKid, but your track record here speaks to the fact that you're no Brent.  I won't use the "rocks" with it, 'cause he doesn't.    For my wife and I, anything we buy over a certain dollar amount needs to be discussed and agreed upon.  There haven't been many times where there was a veto.  I'm not a drinker, so she usually just chalks it up to being the amount I'd have spent on beer over the years.  

I'm actually wondering if I've never been married and have no kids if buying a sports car now that I have a truck to daily drive is still emblematic of a mid-life crisis.  

I also still have all my hair... but the last girl I dated seriously was 22... last summer/fall.  

So many questions.

My wife does not interfere with sales or purchases, but she always says she misses whatever has moved on and that I should have kept it.   I promised her and myself I'd remain at the 45 my wall can handle with the pegs perpendicular to the wall so all the guitars are viewed flat.   I am currently at 46.  She wants me to hang four hooks over my desk, so far I have resisted. 

My wife and I both play. Lots of bands, projects, and rehearsals. We have over 30 guitars, basses, and acoustics. She has a few favorites that I can't touch, the rest is for me to enjoy GAS. Typically one in / one out, give or take... mostly for storage space (!). That's a lot of cases.

6 hours ago, Camstone said:

As of today, I have 23 electric guitars. They are all sunburst, every one.

Missus Camstone can't tell the difference between any of them, cause they all have the same finish.

So what you are saying is - to date -  she has never seen anymore than two of them at the same time and is convinced that's all you own ?!?!?!

My man, you are friggin' brilliant ! ! !   :lol:

I'm still single....what is this "wife" thing you speak-of???

I buy what I want,

when I want,

how I want,

where I want,

with-whom I want.....

Jakegirl is the one who told me to stop procrastinating and to get on the Shishkov list again.

She knows how much I love 0006 and how I say it is the finest guitar I have ever played or had.

I always run my selling impulses by her as she knows what is special to me and has kept me from making a couple mistakes.

I always ask her for guitar finish opinions as she has an excellent eye for fashion and what looks good in almost any situation....except when it comes to orange. She’s not quite the fan I am.

But she always tells me to get whatever makes me happy, gear-wise.

I am blessed.

3 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Shatner and Spader were the best together! I just started watching again! Timeless.

The writing, cast, Shatner and Spader out on the balcony... one of my all-time favorites!.. Timeless indeed 😆

I have 38 electrics, 4 basses, and 9 acoustics in my collection.

My collection has been self supporting for many years now.

I can buy as many guitars as I want and spend as much as I want on a guitar or guitars.

All I have to do is purge a few guitars and I have mad money to spend.

Since most of my scores are from pawnshops , I usually make a decent profit when I sell a few of them.

I'm getting ready to have a 6-10 guitar purge in the next few months.

I'll then have some mad money to find the guitar or guitars for my collection.

My wife has suggested on multiple occasions to sell all my guitars and just buy 2 or 3 REALLY nice expensive ones.

I thought about it for a few seconds and forgot about it.

I think it would be a lot harder to sell 3 very expensive guitars if I was in a financial crunch and needed money quickly.

For now, I like having the collection I have, and plan on keeping that way for a while.

I'm currently married, and can buy just about anything I want without wifey's permission. I make the money, so I decide how it's spent. 

Right now, I have 8 guitars (4 Hamers, 4 Gibsons). I'm slowly trying to get rid of all my Gibsons.

1 minute ago, gtrdaddy said:

1 is good! Sounds like overkill to me!

I've got 2 for sale currently on Reverb. I'll probably end up keeping my '89 LP Custom, as I've had it for almost 30 years. I'll probably keep my '02 SG Supreme as well.

Archived