Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Talladega with Schlabotnik/Ultimate set

Gabe

And here are my Fender CS guitars.

2005 '59 Esquire (with Kinman Broadcaster set), so now it is a Tele.

2004 '54 Stratocaster 50th anniversary MB by John Cruz(with the original CS pickups)

Tele.jpg54Stratocaster.jpg

Gabe 😀😀

Yes, do tell on how the pickups sound.  I replaced the bridge pickup in my Tally almost immediately with a Duncan custom shop “brobucker” that made a huge improvement. However, I love the stock neck pickup and have kept it in there for the life of the guitar. 

Ting! I can't believe you missed the Shlabotnik backstory - apparently it's been floating around on the HFC for a number of years.

Joe Shlabotnik. Best baseball loser and Charlie Brown comic reference. Pickups made from Unobtainium, possessing all the super-secret magic sauce, extra-special magnets blessed and anointed by all the best guitar players you've ever/never heard of ...

Something like that.

I was hired to build the pickups but didn't name them. The Shlabotnik set .. now known/called The Ult set : a lower output PAF variant, Alnico 2 in both positions, calibrated for a lovely and most delicious balance switching across the pickups, designed specifically for the 1st Shiskhov Guitars "Ultimate" models: 7.6k neck, 8.8k bridge +/- 3%

All handwound and assembled by yours truly!

4 minutes ago, JGravelin said:

Ting! I can't believe you missed the Shlabotnik backstory - apparently it's be floating around on the HFC for a number of years.

Joe Shlabotnik. Best baseball loser and Charlie Brown comic reference. Pickups made from Unobtainium, possessing all the super-secret magic sauce, extra-special magnets blessed and anointed by all the best guitar players you've ever/never heard of ...

Something like that.

I was hired to build the pickups but didn't name them. The Shlabotnik set .. now known/called The Ult set : a lower output PAF variant, Alnico 2 in both positions, calibrated for a lovely and most delicious balance switching across the pickups, designed specifically for the 1st Shiskhov Guitars "Ultimate" models: 7.6k neck, 8.8k bridge +/- 3%

All handwound and assembled by yours truly!

The Ult set I put in my Studio Custom are really something else. Lots of small details I’m still discovering. Example is the potting is enough to suppress squeal, yet they ring as if they are ready to take-off.

Ting, I'm not aware of any demos of the Shlabotnik/Ult set but here's the Charlotte set demo:

The Shlabotnik/Ult set is slightly lower output and leaning hard toward a classic, vintage, idealized PAF tone. And much to my delight, many have said I nailed it in that regard.

First batch Shishkov Guitars purchasers and anyone else ---  please chime in and tell Ting all about it!!

....this bit.... " potting is enough to suppress squeal, yet they ring as if they are ready to take-off. "

Truth. Months went into the pickup coil design and offset to encourage all the good kind of harmonic feedback. Potted just enough to quiet 'em down but still keep all the sweet stuff. Rock, blues, jazz, country twang, Cheap Trick...those Shlabotniks can do it!

Archived