Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Studio Recording Equipment

My kid was diagnosed with leukemia back in the summer, so there's not been any desire to do much other than help with her recovery, plus I got bad news about my hearing yesterday - it's shot. Big dip starting at 500hz (!), and my high-end hearing starts dropping at 4khz with absolutely nothing above 8khz.

I'm going to keep my mixer, monitors, and a few mics in case I ever want to get a "point-in-time" recording of happenings in the jam room, but there's no point in keeping any outboard equipment.

On my local CL with prices - https://bham.craigslist.org/msg/d/graysville-studio-and-recording/6816308064.html

That link has preamps, compressors, gates, a couple of patch bays, and some cables/snakes. HFC deal on shipping.

18 minutes ago, atomicwash said:

So sorry about the leukemia & hearing loss. That's awful!

Thanks. She's home now after five months in the hospital for chemo, and hopefully can restart school sometime in the next few weeks.

I thought wanting to play music and record would probably return once things got back to "normal", but with my hearing getting worse, there's no point in recording.

Glad to hear that your daughter is home from the hospital, and fully on the road to recovery.   Thank goodness for that.   

As others have said, sorry to hear of the hearing loss; I have some of that myself.    

Hang in there.  

3 hours ago, a.bandini said:

Glad to hear that your daughter is home from the hospital, and fully on the road to recovery.   Thank goodness for that.   

As others have said, sorry to hear of the hearing loss; I have some of that myself.    

Hang in there.  

Thanks! I had my hearing tested a few years ago and it wasn't bad at all. This time, not so much.

And what's a for sale post without pics?

The kid who was so strong and never knew anything other than... well... in her words "I was over it the first day when you guys said I was going to live. Why are you still upset?" 

IMG_0534.JPG

Amen! 

Id only add a gentle suggestion to keep writing and playing and recording music. The process is still the best therapy I know of.

And if critical listening/mixing feels like a huge hurdle, record everything with generic sounds (midi drum tracks, midi keys/synths and standard plug ins for instruments) and borrow another set of ears to mix for you, or help mix. You might be surprised what you come away with, and the process will be worth it on its own.

Its obviously a tough time for you and your family, but you and your daughter seem to have a beautiful, amazing approach.

All the Best,

😊

GH

Thank guys! All the credit goes to her. There were some very scary times, especially early on, but, as we learned, the kids take control of their health, our job was support.She's done with chemo, in remission, and we just scheduled the removal of the line in her chest.

Things are slowly returning what will be the new normal. You can just see her eyebrows growing back in that pic, and she has the slightest fuzz on her head now! It looks way darker than it was before. We'll see if it grows in differently. Her school can't wait to have her back, and she can't wait to go back (8th grade art kid going to the Alabama School of Fine Arts). We're just happy to have her home! After her first round and she learned she was old enough, she didn't want us spending every night with her in her room. I didn't call our house "our home" until she was back.

Oh man, what a sad post off the bat. :( Two of my (probably most of ours) worst nightmares.

Happy to see she’s back home and things are on the upswing. 

Now if there was only something that could be done for your hearing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2019 at 10:56 PM, Bloozguy said:

Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is an amazing positive attitude. You certainly raised her right!

You tell that angel that she is our hero and an inspiration. What a beautiful warrior.

I’m sorry about your hearing. I have tinnitus and some high freq roll-off. But I am fine. 

Archived