Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Damn you, thief!

JGravelin

Someone broke into my truck in the middle of the night and stole my main everyday gigger bass cabinet. The cab itself was nothing fancy: an 80s Sonic cab - but I loaded it with an Eminence Kappalite 3015 and as a stand-alone cab with any head I might use: totally killed!!!

I have to accept partial responsibility here because I chose to leave it in the bed of my old truck (with topper on, everything locked), but still it bothers me. No renters insurance here and my vehicle insurance won't cover it. I have other cabs so it's not the end of the world but I really hate these feels I'm feeling right now. Grrr.

Report and photos filed/sent to the police. Calling all music stores and pawn shops in a 50 mile radius tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll see it again, maybe I won't. C'est la vie.

I’m sorryJosh. It is obvious you are a great guy with good character. This sucks. I do hate thievery.  Hit the local jams as well...and tell everyone ....if the thief tries to sell at a pawn shop you’ll get him....and if he tries to make it his own bass cab to play, you might catch him.

That really sucks. I know what it’s like to have someone break into your vehicle and steal something  

My first week of undergrad, somebody took a screwdriver to the door lock of my ‘91 Chevy S10, tore the dash out to rip out the CD player and about 5-10 CDs I had lying in the seat. The police found a guy a few blocks away with some of the CDs I said I was missing. Never got them back...

the insurance covered the body damage to the door and the CD player but they weren’t fast about it. 

I hope you get your stuff back. 

Do you have any pictures you could post?  I am making a south TC metro GAS run and I am always am checking out the local craigslist and Facebook Marketplace section.  I will gladly keep a eye out for your stuff. Just remember the guy(s) who stole your stuff aren't master thief's. 

I’ll keep an eye out in the Sioux Falls area. Getting ripped off is the worst!!!  That Cab have anything special on it? Load number anything like that?

Would a fellow musician steal from another? I find that hard to believe. I'd bet the guy thought it was a subwoofer and either has it hooked up in his trunk or will peddle it as such. I think all of us have felt the sting and feelings of violation when someone takes your stuff, especially when it's a breakin. I hope you find your gear, Josh. I hope you or "they" catch this guy. 

Thank you for the support everyone. At the end of the day, it's not a catastrophic loss but dang it: I loved that cab, have a long history with, and I want it back! I believe the dude(s) who took it will get caught here and when that happens I plan on prosecuting to the full extent of the law. I'm sorry that people in the world have drug problems, struggles, are broke - heck, I'm broke right now too! But. I don't steal, thieve, or deceive in an effort to make my life better. I'd rather starve, honestly.

As for damage to the truck, the topper lock was broken and I think I can fix that.

Here's a photo of the cab. It's distinctive due to the front foam mounting stuff fell off. Contacting all pawn/guitar shops in a 50 mile radius today.

Sonic - Eminence speaker bass cabinet Josh Gravelin(3).jpg

PTM, it's the standard 3015. After a few weeks of break-in time, it transformed the cab into a serious bass cannon that could cover just about any room/stage. Best stand-alone cab I've ever had: nice and deep, plenty of cut in the upper mids, and seriously solid tone: highly recommend for any bass player that might be reading.

If you are in the Long Island, New York area in the near future or know of someone who is, I have an SWR Triad Cab you can have to get you by for the time being... just sitting here gathering dust... Had one of my Pedulla MVP basses stolen from me... TWICE... and with the help of local guitar shops and the police, recovered TWICE... Figure its time I pay up on the good karma shown to me...

PM me if you are going to be in the area or know someone who is...

01.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

No word from the police dept or any of the pawn shops and music stores yet. My best guess is that some guy decided to throw this cab in the trunk/hatch of his car and use it as a sub box. Enjoy the deep lows, whomever you are.

Over the years I've grown to love a good single 15" cab. Normally I like 10"s or 12"s (that's what she said), but there's a thing happening in the low mids with a 15" cab that I love at close range, ie: the distance between the cab and my mic stand on most gigs: a density in the low mids from 150 - 400hz that I can feel. I like this!

It occurred to me that I had a totally blown up Trace Elliot 715x 500w/15" speaker combo stashed away in a closet for so long that I forgot about it. It was given to me at a guitar shop I worked in years ago, deemed a basket case by the amp tech there and too expensive for the owner to deal with so he asked me to make it disappear. I contacted Trace, they said they could fix it but it would be very costly: output transformer fried, part of the PCB board cooked, and the 15", crossover, and tweeter blown out. I also realized that I had an old Eminence 15B from like 18 years ago in that same closet so I gutted that cab, popped the old Eminence in and viola!!: a working 15" cab again.

A couple days later, my pal PTM and I were talking and the theft came up. Things got quiet in conversation and I heard "click, click, click" in the background. He then informed me that a new Eminence Kappalite 3015 was on it's way to me via Amazon - the same speaker in my old cab that was stolen. Paul, my friend: thank you.

Speaker arrived. Speaker didn't fit as the basket was ever-so-slightly larger! Router. Wood shavings/dust. Problem solved! Since I was in there, I noticed the cab was lacking what I felt to be the right batting/insulation internally so I added some. Saturday night gig, loud-ish 5 piece band ...the new repurposed cabinet KILLED. This combo cab is shallower and smaller overall than the old Sonic cab but I heard no chuff, huff, or puff ...it hung in there all night, dense yet articulate and punchy ...dare I say even better than the Sonic cab with the same speaker?

Depending on the gig, both my Ampeg PF350 and old Eden Highwayman 500 both fit in the slot with room to spare. I hardwired a 1/4" jack directly to the speaker. Thank you Paul. This thing rips.

DSC03521.JPG

DSC03522.JPG

13 minutes ago, JGravelin said:

No word from the police dept or any of the pawn shops and music stores yet. My best guess is that some guy decided to throw this cab in the trunk/hatch of his car and use it as a sub box. Enjoy the deep lows, whomever you are.

Over the years I've grown to love a good single 15" cab. Normally I like 10"s or 12"s (that's what she said), but there's a thing happening in the low mids with a 15" cab that I love at close range, ie: the distance between the cab and my mic stand on most gigs: a density in the low mids from 150 - 400k that I can feel. I like this!

It occurred to me that I had a totally blown up Trace Elliot 715x 500w/15" speaker combo stashed away in a closet for so long that I forgot about it. It was given to me at a guitar shop I worked in years ago, deemed a basket case by the amp tech there and too expensive for the owner to deal with so he asked me to make it disappear. I contacted Trace, they said they could fix it but it would be very costly: output transformer fried, part of the PCB board cooked, and the 15", crossover, and tweeter blown out. I also realized that I had an old Eminence 15B from like 18 years ago in that same closet so I gutted that cab, popped the old Eminence in and viola!!: a working 15" cab again.

A couple days later, my pal PTM and I were talking and the theft came up. Things got quiet in conversation and I heard "click, click, click" in the background. He then informed me that a new Eminence Kappalite 3015 was on it's way to me via Amazon - the same speaker in my old cab that was stolen. Paul, my friend: thank you.

Speaker arrived. Speaker didn't fit as the basket was ever-so-slightly larger! Router. Wood shavings/dust. Problem solved! Since I was in there, I noticed the cab was lacking what I felt to be the right batting/insulation internally so I added some. Saturday night gig, loud-ish 5 piece band ...the new repurposed cabinet KILLED. This combo cab is shallower and smaller overall than the old Sonic cab but I heard no chuff, huff, or puff ...it hung in there all night, dense yet articulate and punchy ...dare I say even better than the Sonic cab with the same speaker?

Depending on the gig, both my Ampeg PF350 and old Eden Highwayman 500 both fit in the slot with room to spare. I hardwired a 1/4" jack directly to the speaker. Thank you Paul. This thing rips.

DSC03521.JPG

DSC03522.JPG

Great to hear stuff like this. Too bad it had to happen this way, but glad your back up and running with a 15” cab again. 

Gino and Travis .. yeah it was a bummer and thank you for the well-wishes. Thievery sucks - both for the people who get stolen from and for the situation that drives the perpetrators to do it. As a musician who had his ups and down, believe me I know what it's like to be rock-bottom poor ...but I would never, didn't ever, consider stealing from someone else to be the quick fix for my situations.

A happy ending here yeah. Thanks to PTM in large part. Any bass players who might read: if you've got a stand-alone cab and want to get the absolute best from it: Kappalite 3015. Not the LF version.

Rock forth!

Glad to hear that there was a somewhat happy ending. Hopefully it'll show up.

I sometimes thing part of my reason for favoring combo guitar amps is that most people will run away in fear the second they try to lift one. Have fun with that new speaker!

And YEAH, some eminence drivers have HUGE frames, even for guitar. Kills me because I love combos, but a lot of the eminence speakers won't clear the transformers in a lot of tube combos.

My Trace 1x15H Cab is the "Grab and Go" to every gig.  I was using a 4x10H, which sounded nice (especially when I was using a 12 string bass), but the 1x15 is a great all around bass cab.

Glad to see you have a new cab. Stylish too. I hate thieves. So I still hope your old cab finds it's way back to you. Take care!

Archived