Hamer Fan Club Message Center

1974 Les Paul Custom for sale - Mick Ronson Model

There's another thread about the "safari" that led me to this guitar.  It's a 1974 Twentieth Anniversary Les Paul Custom.  Mick Ronson was known to love these.  The finish reminds me of a satin finish with just a little bit of gloss.  I'd rate the finish as all original, but a "6" in condition.   I think the storage of this guitar since the owner died in 1991 caused the "satin" effect.  It has Dimarzio Dual Sound pickups with the obligatory switches added. 

This is a "fretless wonder", but it has plenty of fret left.  The case is original.  Cool business cards,  strap, "vintage" Whirlwind cord and some pics in the case.  The guy died 28 years ago and the guitar hasn't seen the light of day since.  I'll include new strings, but you'll have to have the guitar set up.  I'm just moving it along.

Weight is 9.4lbs.  Witch hat knobs are long gone.  This is a player.  But I think it's a sleeper.  Looks like it had a synth pickup at one time.  But no extra holes down by the strap button. Two mahogany plugs just above the bridge. You decide. 

These go for more than 4K, when they're in good condition.  I need $2,600 shipped.  The guitar is 45 years old.  And it is cool.  Just one pic.  If you need more, I can try to accommodate. 

Thanks.

wn6ruoy.jpg

I don't think those two little plugged holes between the bridge and the bridge pickup are from a Bigsby. I'm pretty sure that they are from an Arp Avatar guitar synth pickup. I had an Avatar back in the late 70's mounted on a LP Custom very similar to your guitar. GLWS!

3 hours ago, Camstone said:

I don't think those two little plugged holes between the bridge and the bridge pickup are from a Bigsby. I'm pretty sure that they are from an Arp Avatar guitar synth pickup. I had an Avatar back in the late 70's mounted on a LP Custom very similar to your guitar. GLWS!

I stand corrected.  Thanks!

."...I think the storage of this guitar since the owner died in 1991 caused the "satin" effect. ....."

Can you (or anybody) explain how that happens?    

And it only happens to what kinds of finish?    I assume it doesn't happen to a gold top?

7 hours ago, Pieman said:

."...I think the storage of this guitar since the owner died in 1991 caused the "satin" effect. ....."

Can you (or anybody) explain how that happens?    

And it only happens to what kinds of finish?    I assume it doesn't happen to a gold top?

The family told me the guitar was in storage since 1991.  The finish appears to be more satin than gloss.  I think heat and humidity were involved.  They lived in Wildwood Florida.  I just don't want any surprises about the finish.  And "satin" is the best description.

Archived