Hamer Fan Club Message Center

My last two suspensions from the Gear Page

MCChris

12 minutes ago, Funky Chicken said:

I migrated to TGP from the old Birds and Moons forum. I tend to stay in my lane there-plenty of epic douches around but there are a few old timers that are good people. I will share a funny TGP story with you. 

in 2011 a TGP get together/pig roast  was held here in Raleigh. A member got hold of his neighborhood pool/clubhouse and about 50 people showed up. I figured it would be a good way to check out gear, and I was correct-people brought tons of stuff. Ron Thorn actually made the trip and I got to chat with him for a while, Stu Carter from Fatsound (pre-collapse) came with a couple of unobtainium amps, and it was generally a good time. Most of the attendees didn't fall into the typical TGP know it all basket. 

Then they started playing.

The actual guitar playing was uniformly awful. I can't remember a single person playing that I thought I could learn anything from. Please do not misinterpret this as tooting my own horn-it was just a room full of guys with high end gear that couldn't play.

Could. NOT. Play.

Guys had driven 400 miles with $5K guitars that they did not know how to tune. I plugged into someone's PWE Event Horizon head (an amp I really wanted to check out) and played a handful of first position chords, letting them ring out a bit. Guys started swarming around me looking at my left hand-"what is that, man?"-um, it's an A chord. It was really unbelievable. I spent the last couple of hours teaching guys stuff that most middle school aged guitar students have moved on from. When I think about it, it still blows my mind.

That was a "wow" moment for me. I've always thought I'm a pretty poor, albeit mid-level player. I just don't try to get much better. But that sounds like it is much worse than my playing. Maybe I should go to the next one. I may be a Rockstar for once in my life! 

I find these stories interesting. I've been on the TGP a handful of times in the past 6 years or so. I've never run into any douchebaggery but I'm not really reading anything other than something I'm looking for. I did sell a guitar or two there with no problems back in the day. 

15 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

Am I the only one who hears it as more of a Prince/Smokey Robinson/Temptations/Motown nod than a Bee Gees falsetto? 

Love that inverted Tele. Always wanted to do that too, but make the knobs/controls correct for a righty.

About the Gear Page: The last time I went there was a few years back when I DuckDuckGo'd the whereabouts of Rebecca Dirks to see why she was no longer on Rig Rundown, and I was forwarded to TGP to be exposed to a world of intense douchebaggery that ran about ten pages deep. Holy jeebus that place is full of the worst kinds of smarmy whiteknighting knowitall fucktards that would lecture each other on the color of their shoe laces if they were given a keyboard and an audience.

Made me appreciate this place again for sure. I don't know how some of you indulge in that shit. I'd be in a fight every day.

I never listened to  Prince/Smokey Robinson/Temptations/Motown so I wouldn't know. I associate most falsetto with Bee Gees simply because it was my most hated period in music history. But, I do understand what you are referring to with Motown or R n B. I simply prefer screaming. 

14 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Ting, 

Jagger also famously used his falsetto on “Fool to Cry”..,but it wasn’t for the entire song. From Black and Blue all the way to Tattoo You, he seemed to really like the falsetto bit.

I played a little of those songs and realized I had heard them. I remembered turning the radio off when they came on, lol. 

39 minutes ago, Funky Chicken said:

I migrated to TGP from the old Birds and Moons forum. I tend to stay in my lane there-plenty of epic douches around but there are a few old timers that are good people. I will share a funny TGP story with you. 

in 2011 a TGP get together/pig roast  was held here in Raleigh. A member got hold of his neighborhood pool/clubhouse and about 50 people showed up. I figured it would be a good way to check out gear, and I was correct-people brought tons of stuff. Ron Thorn actually made the trip and I got to chat with him for a while, Stu Carter from Fatsound (pre-collapse) came with a couple of unobtainium amps, and it was generally a good time. Most of the attendees didn't fall into the typical TGP know it all basket. 

Then they started playing.

The actual guitar playing was uniformly awful. I can't remember a single person playing that I thought I could learn anything from. Please do not misinterpret this as tooting my own horn-it was just a room full of guys with high end gear that couldn't play.

Could. NOT. Play.

Guys had driven 400 miles with $5K guitars that they did not know how to tune. I plugged into someone's PWE Event Horizon head (an amp I really wanted to check out) and played a handful of first position chords, letting them ring out a bit. Guys started swarming around me looking at my left hand-"what is that, man?"-um, it's an A chord. It was really unbelievable. I spent the last couple of hours teaching guys stuff that most middle school aged guitar students have moved on from. When I think about it, it still blows my mind.

I was at that, left before the playing started though.

1 minute ago, Funky Chicken said:

I remember you being there. Irish exit FTW.

IIRC I was going to see Rush in Greensboro that night.

On ‎02‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 7:15 PM, SteveB said:

because the average TGP'er is WAY more legit than GCJr, don't ya know.

Just what I was thinking.  Only when I thought "more legit" it actually came out "severely lacking in soul." 😛 

Don't feel bad, MCChris. I got suspended for a week a couple of weeks ago for making an off color remark which the mods didn't like either. Too much being PC on there along with the douchebaggery, wanna be know it all crap going on. I don't enjoy participating on threads to share my experiences about gear that I've owned without someone being derogatory or condescending towards what I own or have. There are a couple of people I know on there that I know are experienced, knowledgable veterans that imparts good advice. 

I've bought and sold a bunch of stuff in the TGP emporium with very few if any problems over the years. Learned a lot, gotten in some arguments. Mostly good folks with some very noticeable assholery mixed in; pretty much like any local bar I've ever frequented. 

@JGravelin, hope its okay that I've sung your praises over there (and Mike as well, for sure). 😎

I've gotten two warnings there in the past week -- the first I pushed back on with the mod (respectfully) and Big Mike was a bit of a dick about it --- the second warning I didn't even bother... I knew he'd be even more of a dick.... I still wanted to burn the place down but then I remembered I'm not crazy so I didn't.

One of the things I find interesting about GJ jr is how much we project our own expectations onto what we think he should or shouldn't sound like. I've had to check myself on that as well... I'm still figuring him out in my head but there was something pretty cool about his SNL performances -- I have to revisit those when I can find a mirror. (blocked in Canada).

On 2/18/2019 at 6:15 AM, MCChris said:

Last month they gave me a week vacation for describing a Gear Pager as "ridiculous and clueless" for suggesting Philip Sayce should get a day job.

The most recent Beato Video interview with Tim Pierce basically has Tim confirm that his real job is the website/Youtube and teaching - that his session work and gigs have monetarily dried up compared to what they used to pay. In some sense the TGP guy may be right in suggestion that Sayce get a day job - not because he's not a fantastic player, but because the economic models of being a gigging musician might demand a secondary income source... That said Sayce is a monster player and I remember that crazy thread.

Really nice nod to Prince more than the BeeGees to me. I sure dig that V he played. I see that was the Neck P90 the whole song and it looked straight to the amp. B) That Tele was very Cool too.

About the original posting of the thread, I have never signed on there because of all the heavy handed things I have read about over the years. I get enough in real life and we all need a break even if we have to give it to ourselves. Speak your mind but it is sometimes someone else's sandbox and they might lock ya out every now and then. Power is an intoxicating thing in the wrong hands sometimes too.

1 hour ago, edgar_allan_poe said:

I seem to recall someone once asking the question..."How the hell do you get thrown out of a place that doesn't serve alcohol?"  Anyone remember who that was?  lol

In fact, I do.

On 2/28/2019 at 1:25 PM, Dasein said:

One of the things I find interesting about GJ jr is how much we project our own expectations onto what we think he should or shouldn't sound like. I've had to check myself on that as well... I'm still figuring him out in my head but there was something pretty cool about his SNL performances -- I have to revisit those when I can find a mirror. (blocked in Canada).

I've always been kind of ..."meh"... I guess about gcjr. Impressed at times, bored at others. For me though, that was a very cool performance. I felt it.

He played the unedited version of "This Land" on the Daily Show this week.  I hadn't realized until I got the CD that the performances I'd seen on TV to that point had been censored (n-word). In the interview, Trevor Noah asked him why he felt the need to do that, and he said he'd listened again to the version w/o the word, and it just didn't bring home the anger and emotion he was trying to convey.  He came across as uncomfortable - he pretty much said the word made it uncomfortable to listen to, but that the discomfort was partly what he was trying to convey.

On 2/28/2019 at 11:20 AM, Dasein said:

I've gotten two warnings there in the past week -- the first I pushed back on with the mod (respectfully) and Big Mike was a bit of a dick about it --- the second warning I didn't even bother... I knew he'd be even more of a dick.... I still wanted to burn the place down but then I remembered I'm not crazy so I didn't.

Image result for Banned In The USA

Archived