Hamer Fan Club Message Center

hamer diablo vs charvel promod

neastguy

I haven't played both, but own a Diablo and its obviously American, for the price of the Charvel its probably Oriental of one description or another, so for me that would be the question, at my age do I want to start buying Korean shit or do I buy American? The Japanese make some lovely guitars (I have three Tokais that are sensational) but Korean stuff might as well say, "Bland and beige, zero personality and zero chance of it going up in value". Gibson in trouble, BC Rich in trouble, Hamer out of business...I wonder why? Sorry don't want this to sound political.

I believe the pro mods are built in Mexico, so I would say to expect a similar quality to Fender’s Mexican line. 

I haven’t played a pro mod but I’m a huge fan of the old Japanese made Charvels from the 80’s-90’s, the “model” series and the toothpaste logo’d guitars which were on par with the USA Jackson’s of the day. Reason they stopped making those was because they were built so well, they were cutting into the USA Jackson sales. I still have my Charvel 650xl bought new in ‘92 (completely redoing the pickups and electronics...  expect updates relatively soon...)  but I digress...

That being said, I had a Diablo years ago and it was a hell of a guitar. Thick neck for a “shredder.” Put a pair of Duncan Distortions in there and it was an absolute beast. Schaller Floyd, Maple neck, rosewood fretboard and I believe the body was alder or ash (correct me if I’m wrong on that, mine was red not transparent). You can’t go wrong with the quality and playability on a USA made Diablo. Like I said, the neck was on the thick side on my old one. Only sold it because I was getting away from floating bridges at the time. 

Between the two, personally I would go with another Diablo. The pro mods are cool but I’m biased towards the American made options, with the exception of the aforementioned 650xl...

I've owned a Diablo.  While I haven't owned a Mexican pro mod, I have owned a Mexican EVH, which I understand comes off the same line.  It was one of the best shredders I've owned, and I'm a USA snob.  I've also owned American SoCals, USA Selects, and a Charvel Custom shop.  The EVH honestly wasn't that much different than the original USA Pro Mods from 2008-2009.  

They do feel different - raw vs lacquered to start with.  The Diablo I believe has smaller frets, and the neck overall felt a little slimmer, though I think Diablo necks vary a bit.  If you have a chance to play them, I'd check both out.  They're both good guitars but feel a bit different. 

I've had scores of Diablos, as well as USA, Japanese and Mexi- Pro Mods. I currently own 2 USA Diablo 1's and 2 MIM Charvel DK24's- a 3 pick up Super Stock and a maple boarded 2H FR.

The DK24s I currently own are actually more in line for a better 1-1 comparison with Diablos, IMHO.  ProMods, typically are 22 frets and feature a more traditional version of a full sized Strat body. The DK's (for Dinky or 7/8 scale) are a tad smaller. 

Basically, I'm giving a slight advantage in craftsmanship and materials to Hamers. Features are fairly even, though, admittedly, this is predicated on subjective preferences. Both have alder bodies with bolt on maple necks. Diablos, as mentioned, typically are rosewood boarded, ProMods have numerous offerings depending on the model, but are predominantly maple. 

The deciding factor, IMO, is the neck carve. As stated, Diablos have slightly more racy C profile- certainly not Wizard thin but not as chunky C-shaped as the Pro Mods I've played. The DK24s have a nice in-between profile, a bit of the D but not as chunky as the Pro Mods. Charvels also have the jumbo frets and compound radius. For some, that's a solid advantage.

I've been quite pleased with the 2 MIM DK's- though I modded them to suit my tastes. I find them to be excellent platforms for building your own dream machine. (I also give a slight nod to the traditional aesthetics of the Strat head on the Charvels ;) )  That said, it bears mentioning that I mod just about every axe, short of custom orders... including my Diablos. 😆

8 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

The deciding factor, IMO, is the neck carve. As stated, Diablos have slightly more racy C profile- certainly not Wizard thin but not as chunky C-shaped as the Pro Mods I've played. The DK24s have a nice in-between profile, a bit of the D but not as chunky as the Pro Mods. Charvels also have the jumbo frets and compound radius. For some, that's a solid advantage.

You put a nice bow on what I was unsuccessfully trying to get out of my brain and into HTML.  That's exactly why I would probably go for another Pro Mod over a Diablo myself, despite the Diablo probably being the more meticulously built of the two.  My hands just love the neck on a Charvel super strat. 

I`ve never played a Pro Mod but owned a few Diablos and still have 1 and it is great. Love the neck carve but wish the frets were a little larger. Supposidly the best Pro Mods were the Japan made ones. That is the one I would buy out of the imports.

56 minutes ago, Travis said:

I believe the pro mods are built in Mexico, so I would say to expect a similar quality to Fender’s Mexican line. 

I haven’t played a pro mod but I’m a huge fan of the old Japanese made Charvels from the 80’s-90’s, the “model” series and the toothpaste logo’d guitars which were on par with the USA Jackson’s of the day. Reason they stopped making those was because they were built so well, they were cutting into the USA Jackson sales. I still have my Charvel 650xl bought new in ‘92 (completely redoing the pickups and electronics...  expect updates relatively soon...)  but I digress...

That being said, I had a Diablo years ago and it was a hell of a guitar. Thick neck for a “shredder.” Put a pair of Duncan Distortions in there and it was an absolute beast. Schaller Floyd, Maple neck, rosewood fretboard and I believe the body was alder or ash (correct me if I’m wrong on that, mine was red not transparent). You can’t go wrong with the quality and playability on a USA made Diablo. Like I said, the neck was on the thick side on my old one. Only sold it because I was getting away from floating bridges at the time. 

Between the two, personally I would go with another Diablo. The pro mods are cool but I’m biased towards the American made options, with the exception of the aforementioned 650xl...

Is that the Trans Red Diablo I believe I sold you Travis? It had the regular headstock and not reverse? That thing was mint. Wish I had it still. I have a reversed headstock trans red one now, 1992, it`s great!

33 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

I've had scores of Diablos, as well as USA, Japanese and Mexi- Pro Mods. I currently own 2 USA Diablo 1's and 2 MIM Charvel DK24's- a 3 pick up Super Stock and a maple boarded 2H FR.

The DK24s I currently own are actually more in line for a better 1-1 comparison with Diablos, IMHO.  ProMods, typically are 22 frets and feature a more traditional version of a full sized Strat body. The DK's (for Dinky or 7/8 scale) are a tad smaller. 

Basically, I'm giving a slight advantage in craftsmanship and materials to Hamers. Features are fairly even, though, admittedly, this is predicated on subjective preferences. Both have alder bodies with bolt on maple necks. Diablos, as mentioned, typically are rosewood boarded, ProMods have numerous offerings depending on the model, but are predominantly maple. 

I've been quite pleased with the 2 MIM DK's- though I modded them to suit my tastes. I find them to be excellent platforms for building your own dream machine. (I also give a slight nod to the traditional aesthetics of the Strat head on the Charvels ;) )  That said, it bears mentioning that I mod just about every axe, short of custom orders... including my Diablos. 😆

You are the Dr Frankenstein of guitars and I mean that in a good way!😁 

12 minutes ago, Carl.B said:

You are the Dr Frankenstein of guitars and I mean that in a good way!😁 

Oh sure,  you say that carrying a torch and pitchfork! ;)

31 minutes ago, black magic said:

Is that the Trans Red Diablo I believe I sold you Travis? It had the regular headstock and not reverse? That thing was mint. Wish I had it still. I have a reversed headstock trans red one now, 1992, it`s great!

Yes! One of the few regular headstock diablos I’ve seen.

Diablos are every bit as good a guitar as the Californians and chapparals, just stripped down workhorses. 

3 minutes ago, Travis said:

Diablos are every bit as good a guitar as the Californians and chapparals, just stripped down workhorses. 

Err, uhh, mmm... as a serious fan and longtime player of Diablos, I might have to challenge that statement. Certainly in regard to Californians.  ;)  But then, I remember that this is highly subjective and thus, you are 100% correct in your opinion. :D

6 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

Err, uhh, mmm... as a serious fan and longtime player of Diablos, I might have to challenge that statement. Certainly in regard to Californians.  ;)  But then, I remember that this is highly subjective and thus, you are 100% correct in your opinion. :D

Ha!

Allow me to elaborate. I’ve had one Diablo, one Californian Standard and one Chapparal (the short scale glued in neck with dots and three mini toggles). 

To me, the Diablo had the best neck. But again, mine was a thicker carve than what sounds like most others had. The Chap neck was just small, round but narrow. The Californian was cool, but just didn’t offer that much more to me than the Diablo did. 

Now, if anyone would like to send me their Californian customs or elites to try out for a chance at a second opinion, I would be willing to keep an open mind. 😉

3 hours ago, Travis said:

Ha!

Allow me to elaborate. I’ve had one Diablo, one Californian Standard and one Chapparal (the short scale glued in neck with dots and three mini toggles). 

To me, the Diablo had the best neck. But again, mine was a thicker carve than what sounds like most others had. The Chap neck was just small, round but narrow. The Californian was cool, but just didn’t offer that much more to me than the Diablo did. 

Now, if anyone would like to send me their Californian customs or elites to try out for a chance at a second opinion, I would be willing to keep an open mind. 😉

Let me see, I think I've got one of them Californians around here some where... 🤔😆

I wouldn't trade this MIM for any Diablo I've ever owned or played. Not to say the latter weren't good, more so to say this MIM is exceptionally good. Worth noting ... the Charvel is totally stock, JB/59, all I did was tweaked the setup. If I nitpicked, I'd prefer a German OFR but I'll wait until one presents itself via my shop's salvage bins.

IMG_2990.jpg

1 hour ago, Ed Rechts said:

As a native Southern Californian, this statement offends me.

Mexicans wouldn't be caught dead using Tabasco.  They prefer Valentina, Cholula, or Tapatio. The hardcores love El Yucateco.

Don't embarrass yourself, man.

Yep. Tabasco is made in Louisiana and imo kinda sucks. I may hail from NC the land of Texas Pete (don't ask) but I'm a El Yucateco and Cholula man.

As a native Southern Californian, this statement offends me.

Mexicans wouldn't be caught dead using Tabasco.  They prefer Valentina, Cholula, or Tapatio. The hardcores love El Yucateco.

Don't embarrass yourself, man.

The local Mexican restaurant we go to has Tapatio, Cholula and El Yucateco on the tables.  

49 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

Hot. It's habenero based. (Very inexpensive at Mexican grocery stores though, like <$2).

hotsauce.png.e2d0e9088008ca7fbcb7d6b65ae66c1f.png

Of course, like all season-everything-with-spicy-vinegar backyard chefs,  I'm a Texas Pete man myself. I use that stuff like salt&pepper

Next time you make buffalo wings replace the Frank's Red Hot ( I know, Texas Pete ) with a 50/50 mix of Cholula and El Yucateco. 

49 minutes ago, Stike said:

Yep. Tabasco is made in Louisiana and imo kinda sucks. I may hail from NC the land of Texas Pete (don't ask) but I'm a El Yucateco and Cholula man.

When it comes to Louisiana fare, I'm Crystal and Louisiana all the way. 

Mexican - Cholula and El Yucateo. 

I don't each much Tabasco, but I love the green Tabasco on Mission-style burritos for some reason.

Hot. It's habenero based. (Very inexpensive at Mexican grocery stores though, like <$2).

hotsauce.png.e2d0e9088008ca7fbcb7d6b65ae66c1f.png

Of course, like all season-everything-with-spicy-vinegar backyard chefs,  I'm a Texas Pete man myself. I use that stuff like salt&pepper

But do you notice how the Tapatio bottle is the most emptiest? 😆

Archived