Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Peter Tork IBS

hamerhead

I still love to play “I’m A Believer”. They had a comeback album a couple years ago with a KILLER fun in the sun song called “You Bring The Summer”.

RIP. I dug them.

"33 1/3 Revolutions per Monkee", that TV special that aired in April 1969, was quite good for its time. IIRC Brian Auger portrayed Charles Darwin (!) and Buddy Miles and Julie Driscoll were around as well.

Then there were the appearances of Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis and  Little Richard playing on three stacked up pianos. 

But the finale of "Listen to the Band" that built upward with just about all cast members into a chaotic psychedelic ending was mind-blowing, as was the "He' s Really Playing This!" sign.

Somebody burned the show onto a DVD for me a few years ago; it's around here somewhere...maybe I need to dig it out for a positive time warp experience.

But there's also the youtube version: 

Jeezus! The image for the link looks like something out of New Order's "True Faith" video! And that came along some 18 years later!

There was also "Daily Nightly", a sendup of psychedelia (includes pans of one side to the other) that pretty much worked. The twang of the guitar at the intro is to die for, as are the vintage synth sounds.  The b/w video shows an early Moog (I guess). Dolenz's one-word comment at the end is a hoot. Videos were shown at the end of each Monkees episode a la "Ozzie & Harriet" but Ricky Nelson's were performances, as in "concert" instead of Monkees video performances as in "show biz". Reading the comments on this link is intriguing, particularly when it's compared to the Beatles and Jim Morrison...

Every time I see these IBS posts I wonder why the HFC is so interested in someone's irritable bowl syndrome...

We got Monkees re-runs in the late 70s/early 80s from a Boston tation, probably UHF Channel 38, which also carried the Celtics and Bruins back then.  To hear them on the radio was an epochal event.  I didn't understand radio then.

It was always a treat to watch the show.

The Monkees had a national revival my senior year in high school, '86.  

Who's left?  Nesmith and Dolenz?

On 2/21/2019 at 7:00 PM, Jakeboy said:

I still love to play “I’m A Believer”.

Mickey Dolenz really kicked ass on that vocal lead, especially the lead-out where he's singing "...and I'm a Believer yeah, yeah, yeah, yeahaaahaa!". 

Also, Neil Diamond wrote that, and his hit compositions for The Monkees really made his career for the '60s and '70s.

On 2/22/2019 at 2:28 PM, Greg G said:

9D7E3B23-FBF2-4F1E-AC63-D081D1A2ECA1.jpeg

I saw the Monkeemobile at a custom car show in the '60s. Based on 1966 GTOs, it was a really cool rendition. It was a Dean Jeffries creation, which was extra cool because he had been turned down for the Batmobile because the producers needed the B-mobile in a couple of weeks and George Barris already had a 1954 Lincoln Futura concept car that gave him a head start for the Batmobile.

e7jj.jpg

On 2/22/2019 at 5:39 PM, Toadroller said:

Who's left?  Nesmith and Dolenz?

Yep. Davy died seven years ago in February 2012 and Peter Tork died three days ago.

Archived