Hamer Fan Club Message Center

WTF? This can't be Hamer factory work, can it?

The seller states: "The guitar looks like the bridge was moved to the correct position at the factory when it was produced. This is not a modification to be clear."

ty1vrppqqvm5wirflsx1.jpg

From a new listing on Reverb.  1980 Sunburst:

https://reverb.com/item/19769954-1980-hamer-usa-sunburst-natural-bound-crowned-flametop-b-c-vintage

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the lines on the finish that bridge was moved after it had been installed for awhile. Maybe sent back to the factory and moved after somebody did a WTF on the intonation... just guessing...

@BadgerDave, this one looks really familiar to me. I do believe this one has been floating around for a while, the back was a clean as the rest of the guitar a few years ago, then if popped up on Ebay and the some dbag waited 35 years to put a belt belt buckle to it. The bridge is the first I've seen, that is pretty big move and taking a really good look, it probably should be in the middle of those two positions. LOL I guess, you could take another shot at it? LOL 

13 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

....misplaced the tape measure and were just eyeballing stuff.....

A pirate could eyeball better than that. That's 1/4 inch or so. Wow. "This is not a modification". No, it's AFU.

11 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

What is the debris in the rearmost screw-holes? Is it solder? That is a hot mess....

Looks like the screws where sheared or ground off.

Something ain't right with that one, but you can fix it Dave!

ETA: if you move the bridge that far, you have to move the ferrules or have a whole new set of nightmares (like trying to fish strings through, or binding/tuning hell). That can't be a Hamer 'fix'.

5 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

I guess, you could take another shot at it? LOL 

4 hours ago, hamerhead said:

Something ain't right with that one, but you can fix it Dave!

I'm not remotely interested  in this guitar at $3499, or half that price.  Just wondered if it's possible it left the factory in that condition.  Even if someone did install the bridge incorrectly, I assume they would have done a cleaner repair.  Or band-sawed it!

2 minutes ago, BadgerDave said:

I'm not remotely interested  in this guitar at $3499, or half that price.  Just wondered if it's possible it left the factory in that condition.  Even if someone did install the bridge incorrectly, I assume they would have done a cleaner repair.  Or band-sawed it!

I hope they would have just band sawed it, I wouldn't want that staying out in the world like that. 

2 hours ago, Ua D said:

The strap button is also way off center. 

3F53368F-9C0E-4FF5-ACCE-F13F1EB72151.jpeg

IMO, sometimes strap buttons were put on that way on purpose, offset from the center line towards the bass side.  I had a mid '90's Eclipse once that had a offset strap button like this, and two other Eclipses from that time frame that didn't...and no sign on the one that had the offset strap button that it was redone or was a mistake, and it hung just fine on a strap.   My '85 Cruisebass has the butt end strap button offset like this as well, with no signs of having been relocated.   Seems like I've seen other examples of factory Hamers with the offset strap button, going back as far as the early '80's.  Besides this Sunburst, that is.  Maybe it was done like this to prevent neck dive?

5 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Was the back plate Tight Bonded on? That sure is one sharp looking Sunburst. 

That does look like TiteBond.  Do you suppose someone lost the backplate screws and glued it on?  :o

5 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

I hope they would have just band sawed it, I wouldn't want that staying out in the world like that. 

I don't know that there was such a thing as a "factory 2nd" from Hamer... I was thinking about that the other day when looking at a Hamer with some finish flaws that supposedly left the factory after they shut down. Anyone ever seen a Hamer 2nd? 

12 minutes ago, Marvelicious said:

I don't know that there was such a thing as a "factory 2nd" from Hamer...

There wasn't.

25 minutes ago, BadgerDave said:

I'm not remotely interested  in this guitar at $3499, or half that price. 

Come on... You'd pounce on that guitar for $1750.  I know I would.

Archived