Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Blonde 1980 Special

3 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Do you $1295 like it?
It's 15 minutes from my house, but $1000 is my ceiling on Specials. And as we all know, the ceiling is the roof.

Wow...I'd say I like it enough but I fear it won't be able to bring it home (Cites etc). Probably has a thin neck too but I'd love to get my clumsy paws on it....

...dancing on the ceiling....

Just now, cynic said:

It is exactly like a veneer, same as all the older Standards and Sunbursts.

Good to know.  I have never owned an "old" Hamer.

Had one very similar to it just not in as good of shape as this one. They do have skinny necks on them for anyone wanting to pick one up worked fine for my kid sized hands other people with normal sized hand's may not. The combination of the all Hog body, sustain block bridge, and those old DiMarzio pickup's put you in RnR heaven.  

4 minutes ago, 0054 said:

Duncan pickups, WTF!!!

Good eye! The DiMarzio pickup's were a zebra at the neck and all cream at the bridge.

18 minutes ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

Nice looking guitar!................and for that money IF  I was in the market for one of these I'd pull the trigger................1952 is my birth year.:)

Mine as well.

They must have gotten tired of the phone calls and added the price to the website.

"HAMER Special, 1980, first year of production, Blonde, curly Maple top, double cutaway, 2 Duncan Humbuckers, exc, ohsc...$1295"

54 minutes ago, kizanski said:

About $1000.

LOL, thats no joke. 

56 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

So what is the difference between these early Specials and the Sunburst?

What Kiz said plus Binding and sometimes Crowns. 

3 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

LOL, thats no joke. 

What Kiz said plus Binding and sometimes Crowns. 

So if you saw them side by side and no binding and all dots you couldn't tell them apart?

1 hour ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

So if you saw them side by side and no binding and all dots you couldn't tell them apart?

If neither of them had binding or Crowns (EXCEPT A FEW EXCEPTIONS) they would both say Special on the headstock. They are one in the same, its all visual.  

I have relatives near Lark that have bought from Buzz..................have gotten good deals and he a is a good guy to deal with.As far as Hamer guitars I'm sure he can see this is a great looking guitar in fine condition.other than that I don't believe he knows too much about Hamer guitars.Hamer is a uncommon brand that has long been discontinued,surprised he even has one. He did have one in his shop that was posted here quite a while back................can't remember what it was................a "Special" also perhaps.

4 minutes ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

...he a is a good guy to deal with.  As far as Hamer guitars I'm sure he can see this is a great looking guitar in fine condition.other than that I don't believe he knows too much about Hamer guitars.

I've been to Lark Street 100 times and I've bought from "Buzz" once. This is 1. because his prices are always just a little too high, and 2. because of Buzz's tendency to be...let's say...shady.  There was one specific time with a GVCG Telecaster that really drove the point home for me.

Many of you are familiar with GVCG. I was working in the village when I happened upon Jonathan's shop early on totally by accident. There were a couple of guys playing his Fender relic copies and they looked amazing.  Then I saw the prices. He was clearly trying to shoehorn himself in-between the prices Fender's relics (which were thousands less expensive) and real vintage Fenders which had reached astronomical numbers.
A few months later the GVCG hysteria revved up, thanks to TGP, and I was hot and heavy for one just like everyone else. Lark Street had a few, and I played them. These were very close to the actual vintage Fenders I had played and owned - they made the Fender Relics look like jokes - so I was impressed.

Well, as per usual in these situations, the prices skyrocket seemingly overnight and you're suddenly crossing buying a GVCG off of your future plans.

Then, some months later, I see another GVCG Tele at Lark Street, this time with a really low price tag. Literally about $1000 less than he should have been asking for it.
Buzz had had many GVCGs go through his shop, so he knows what they're worth, and "new" or "used" didn't make a difference, price-wise, during the crazy times, so I asked him why it was so low.
He said some nonsense about it being used, which sounded fishy to me, but I wanted to believe it and wanted the guitar, so I gave him a credit card deposit on the phone right then and there so that he didn't sell it out from under me, since i couldn't get there until the following afternoon.

The next day I run there after work like an excited little kid.  I walk in the store, and there it is!
I play it and I'm underwhelmed. It played fine, but there was something very unbalanced about the ageing job. The body looked great, but the neck looked pretty vanilla.

"Can we pop this neck off?"

Buzz has his tech loosen the strings, and remove the neck bolts.

Inside the neck pocket on the body, I saw exactly what you'd want to see: Jonathan's hand written markings.
The neck, however, said ALLPARTS.

"Buzz? What the Hell is this?"

"That's why it was priced so low."

"Yeah, you can reverse that charge on my credit card now."

My 1981 Hamer Special...

81Special.jpg

81 Special 2.jpg

005.JPG

And my Custom Case for it, to match the headstock and strap...

CheckerboardCase.jpg

Archived