Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Another Rich Kid Band? Liliac - She does a mean Dio though.

1 minute ago, Ed Rechts said:

I thought it kicked ass within "Our Quaint Family Band" perimeters.

To put it in Muse-speak:

THEORACLESEZ.png.e47b5ea0d57ac9d176b22f6601c0f224.png

Still need to see their school bus, though

Probably more Boris Vallejo than Piet Mondrian.

3 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

I saw a pic of that guitar you did recently, I'm guessing Mondrian gives you and your roll of masking tape some harsh-assed PTSD

Rolls not roll. 😄

Found this rehearsal video. Since I've never been a band for more than one day I'm asking you guys why the band is holding back on this iconic metal song? The drummer is playing with brushes. The guitar is annoyingly clean. Is this to save the ears? Do they crank it later for other rehearsals? Or are they making a different sound for this song? After watching a few vids of this band I find their movements forced and exaggerated. But that's just an observation and nothing to do with my questions. 

It's a vocal rehearsal.  The instruments are just there to keep her place.  Hence the lack of real playing and volume.

FWIW I can't watch them.  Their antics are so contrived and over the top that it actually comes off as a bad parody to me.  I suppose you could argue that she has a good voice but truth be told, she really doesn't.  The only reason they are getting any pub is because they are teenage girls playing old guy metal and doing a decent job of it.

If they're rich, why are they using Marshall CODE amps in the first video?

In the second, it can't really be a vocal rehearsal, since she seems more concerned with trying to mimic Dio's mannerisms.  Maybe it's a choregraphy rehearsal. 

2 hours ago, scottcald said:

If they're rich, why are they using Marshall CODE amps in the first video?

Because being rich doesn't mean they're smart.  That is, if they are rich, which we have no way of knowing.

The Rainbow in the Dark video was being shared to death on FB earlier this week and I immediately thought "I'm going to see this a hundred more times before it's over, and every time I'll think it's shittier than the last."  It seems like contrived, didn't-expect-young-people-to-do-that, oh-look-it's-a-female rock is the new fad.  I'm not down.

8 hours ago, tommy p said:

Because being rich doesn't mean they're smart.  That is, if they are rich, which we have no way of knowing.

The Rainbow in the Dark video was being shared to death on FB earlier this week and I immediately thought "I'm going to see this a hundred more times before it's over, and every time I'll think it's shittier than the last."  It seems like contrived, didn't-expect-young-people-to-do-that, oh-look-it's-a-female rock is the new fad.  I'm not down.

Pretty much my take. It’s not that it’s good, it’s that it’s novel. But the problem is, we’ve been seeing this kind of novel for a decade now on YouTube. 

Obviously, I don’t know them. Maybe they’re super into this.  And if they are, then good for them. Lots of people don’t like my band either. But there is no way in hell I’d stick around in a bar and watch that.

There are also all female metal tribute bands that I would stick around in a bar and watch.   This band is somewhere in between a really good karaoke act and one of those bands I would watch. 

Heavy Metal Partridge Family. 😆

Yeah, the novelty has worn off. Cliches persist. Nothing ground breaking or even noteworthy in how they cover them other than being real solid.  I dig the singer's voice and I don't mind the drummer's cleavage :P Everything else is just kinda meh. I guess that's gonna happen if you were their age when these songs first came out. We've had a long time hearing these tunes in every possible iteration, by every level of cover band. Hell, if you're like me, you've even played a number of these a hundred times or so. Like this one:

Apparently they aren't rich. They live in a 3 bedroom apt., are vegan, and are homeschooled. They have been excommunicated by their religious family because they believe Metal is the road to Hell. They have come out with their own album of original material. I'd say they can ride this Metal Partridge Family thing for a few years and then need to go out on their own. They are good musicians but I don't see this working much. One of the members of The Police has noticed them. 

Some original material without the hair flipping. Not bad. 

1 hour ago, LucSulla said:

The apartment thing maybe true, but the whole religious parents thing is just schtick.  I mean, those are their parents in one of the videos you posted.  

http://voyagela.com/interview/meet-florin-cristea-nineta-cristea-samuel-cristea-abigail-cristea-melody-cristea-ethan-cristea-justin-cristea-liliac-band-downey/

You misunderstood. The parents and their children, according to them, are excommunicated from their family in Romania. I'm assuming they are Catholic since they used the word, excommunicated. But, I'll be the first to say I don't know anything about Romania except they have blood suckers. Thanks for the link.

On 3/1/2019 at 4:26 PM, Ting Ho Dung said:

Found this rehearsal video. Since I've never been a band for more than one day I'm asking you guys why the band is holding back on this iconic metal song? The drummer is playing with brushes. The guitar is annoyingly clean. Is this to save the ears? Do they crank it later for other rehearsals? Or are they making a different sound for this song? After watching a few vids of this band I find their movements forced and exaggerated. But that's just an observation and nothing to do with my questions. 

On 3/1/2019 at 10:06 PM, edgar_allan_poe said:

It's a vocal rehearsal.  The instruments are just there to keep her place.  Hence the lack of real playing and volume.

FWIW I can't watch them.  Their antics are so contrived and over the top that it actually comes off as a bad parody to me.  I suppose you could argue that she has a good voice but truth be told, she really doesn't.  The only reason they are getting any pub is because they are teenage girls playing old guy metal and doing a decent job of it.

Yes, agreed, this was obviously just a low volume run-through... which makes the contrived gyrations even more annoying. 😏 She has an interesting voice to be sure, but I agree with pretty much everyone here that as a "band", they don't stand much of a chance.

Having said that, I do enjoy female singers covering metal classics. In fact, this is one of my favorites. Not sure if anyone here follows Richie Castellano (Band Geeks) on YouTube, but they do a wide array of covers with a rotating cast of musicians recorded in his basement. This is their version of Heaven and Hell featuring his sister-in-law on vocals... 😎

44 minutes ago, slingblader said:

I very much enjoyed her hiney. Nice voice  too.

As long as they dig doing it, and it brings them closer together as a family, good for them. They might evolve into something musically unique (not just unique for age/family/genders) or might let it fade out. Either way, cool memories, and it's good to see kids making music. Hope Dad isn't a stage/little league dad, pushing the kids to be famous to get his own dreams realized.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:35 PM, Ed Rechts said:

I saw a pic of that guitar you did recently, I'm guessing Mondrian gives you and your roll of masking tape some harsh-assed PTSD

Two YEARS in the making.....

Archived