Hamer Fan Club Message Center

SS1 Reasonable Value

Hi folks,

I've owned nothing but Hamers as long as I've played with the exception of my first learner which was an El degas. 

I had a USA which I sold and then purchased the SS1 which I played for 20 years through a Peavey Roadmaster 160 Watt all Tube Monster that had more power than my ears could ever handle lol. 

Anyway, im at the stage where my boys have never shown an interest in playing and I have seen these things go up for sale with a price range that is mind boggling. My question is simple , what is the reasonable value for one. I've attached a few shots. 

I figured if anyone would know 

20170112_223136.jpg

20170112_223429.jpg

20170112_223236.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah saw it in a window of a music store downtown Montreal ...went straight home got my other guitar and made the trade.

I'm trying to get a bead on what I should ask for it as I'm thinking of putting it up.

On 3/1/2019 at 6:54 PM, SS1 said:

Hi folks,

I've owned nothing but Hamers as long as I've played with the exception of my first learner which was an El degas. 

I had a USA which I sold and then purchased the SS1 which I played for 20 years through a Peavey Roadmaster 160 Watt all Tube Monster that had more power than my ears could ever handle lol. 

Anyway, im at the stage where my boys have never shown an interest in playing and I have seen these things go up for sale with a price range that is mind boggling. My question is simple , what is the reasonable value for one. I've attached a few shots. 

I figured if anyone would know 

20170112_223136.jpg

20170112_223429.jpg

20170112_223236.jpg  I can see why this one caught your eye,a VERY sharp guitar!:)  Sure a admirer of these guitars would want this one,looks like you have taken good care of it...................... Good $$$ for this one.

SS guy, yeah its solid maple.

When I pulled it out and went over it, I dont even think there's a scratch. 😁

I am really in the dark as I had swapped my USA and 300$ bucks for it . I actually thought it to be a one off at one stage, just because  I never saw the flame top in this model either. What I saw were always or for the most part painted pastel colors or black.

3000 Pounds equates to around 5000CAD$??? I would think that to be a bit much, but again that's why I'm asking you guys.  If it is at that level I wouldn't know where to sell it. Lol.  Not sure I would Ebay it as I have never used it and would really be afraid of shipping and possible damage.  

Nice to have a Hamer forum and find folk that actually have the same love for these instruments that I have. 

Thank you for additional input you have already been extremely helpful.

So based on my research here in the forum on serial numbers, this would have in fact been a production model.

Is there anyway of knowing how many of each model were actually made? 

I would highly doubt that would bring £3k.$5kCAD.  It is a SS-1 that was placed as a custom order with solid maple body (an upcharge option in 1989) and Gold Hardware (also an upcharge).  It's super cool, and definitely rare, but I'd be surprised to see it pull $3.5k US$ in the current market unless there's a SS-1 collector out there who has to have it.  My guess is that if you find the right buyer, somewhere in the $3k US$ range would be good.  If it had an ebony board with crowns, boomers or LEDs, it would probably go for much more.

It's incredibly cool and from an era when Hamer custom orders were at their peak.  

Thank you c mat, that's sounds more what I thought in terms of the range between 2- 2.5 US was where it would land, perhaps a little more due simply to actual condition and the original Hamer case.

I didn't know about the custom options but that would and does make sense.

Thanks for the additional info.

I may let it loose here in the forum ..at least it will go to folk that can appreciate the workmanship in these pieces they really are awesome guitars.

Like I said originally played my first Hamer and never wandered. 

Solid maple.  Wow that is indeed a very cool one.  Best of luck with the sale.  With it being that clean don’t be hard balled into a low price.  I would bet there’d be someone out there that would love everything about that guitar.  

Thanks Dbraz, no I won't.

No urgency or dire need to sell it financially where that possibility of being low balled usually stems from. It's just not being used. Nor will it .

When I play now, I reach for the Ovation. (Another awesome piece) I must say i have the same love for those on the acoustic side.

So the Peavey Roadmaster and the Hamer will find new homes and do what they are meant to do, be enjoyed.

Well, I always see cool Hamer guitars I'd love to have. This is one might be a dream guitar (a maple Chap or Californian in this color would be also a dream), but since I mostly play bass these days, there would be no reason to add more guitars. I am financially not in the position to buy lots of stuff anyway. Also I don't have enough space to store much more gear. There is a guy selling an early bolt-on Chap that looks nice (it is special that it has a factory OFR, a curly maple neck with maple fretboard and OBL's), he is just a few streets far from me. I was tempted, but I just have to decline. I want to concentrate using the stuff I already have. I just want that new Fender Acoustasonic Tele and a new bass amp (Mesa Subway WD800 and Subway 2x12" cab), that will be a lot of money for me. Then I want to be done buying stuff and play my gear for the rest of my life. If I had the money I'd start at offering 1500 Euros to maximum probably 2200 Euros. Others might offer more.

Yeah its hard to separate the want from need at times. I appreciate the input hamer. That euro amount falls just shy of around 3.5k cad ... that's a little short of of end state but not far off based on the info over the last few days I think 3.5 -4k Cad equivalent is a fair value I'll bd settling on.

15 hours ago, HamStd said:

I'll play too, this sounds like a fun game.

It's in the Hamer book

Peter

SS3pu WS.png

Ok if a guitar has 3 humbuckers and all of them are coil tapped AND there's a piezo pickup too, how many different pickup configurations are there? Ready set go.

Archived