Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Lure of the Double Bound Telecaster

I know some people feel putting binding on a Tele goes against its utilitarian nature but I l love the look.

what are my options if I’m looking to purchase something new/recent with the look of an early 60s double bound Tele?

1) Fender American Original 60s Tele- looks nice but I would prefer vintage spec fingerboard radius

2) Nash TC 63- heard good stuff about Nash. Never played one.  Not crazy about relics.  Does he build his own stuff or put together Warmoth, etc partcasters?

3)  Roll my own.  I could probably spec and build one but I’m too lazy.

Anything else on the market? 2k budget for new instrument.  Not interested in stretching to find used Custom shop fender. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Fender MIJ '62 Tele customs are fantastic if you can find one. Totally vintage spec and really well made. Prices are pretty much in line with where you're looking. I had an early 90's years ago and have been flogging myself for letting it go.

Example listing. No affiliation.

https://reverb.com/item/17955667-fender-62-reissue-telecaster-custom-mij-1990-s-candy-apple-red

Jeez I feel like I'm behind the curve this morning.  I also was going to recommend MIJ Fender.    You might also see if you can find a nice body from MJT guitars and build your own to spec. 

As to Nash, he builds partscasters,  but has the benefit of buying enough bodies and necks at a time that he can match them up pretty well, and then does his own finishes and mostly uses Lollars these days.  I own a Nash PB63 and gotta say, its more the sum of its parts type of deal.  They really do play and feel great in the hand and if mine is any indication, have the sounds I'm looking for in this type of instrument.

I rolled my own.

Musikraft Ash Body - pretty lightweight, and cheap because it had a knot.

Envycastercomplete.jpg

Envycastercomplete3.jpg

The MJT stuff is pretty good too, and unlike Warmoth and a few others, uses a correct body shape.

7 hours ago, cmatthes said:

I rolled my own.

Musikraft Ash Body - pretty lightweight, and cheap because it had a knot.

The MJT stuff is pretty good too, and unlike Warmoth and a few others, uses a correct body shape.

Is that a chopper or SD rail in bridge ?

Thanks for all the suggestions and every guitar posted looks great.

I am looking for the classic early 60s Fender sunburst with white binding look.  I really wish I could put my hands on a Nash.  I’ve heard very good things (from people I wouldn’t expect it from) about Nash but the relic and logo have me on the fence.

What about this?  Same quality as the black one?  This is the look I’m after and it has vintage specs.  Do the electronics suck or ok as is.

Fender Traditional 60s Telecaster Custom 3-Color Sunburst Made in Japan
https://reverb.com/item/19759566-fender-traditional-60s-telecaster-custom-3-color-sunburst-made-in-japan?utm_source=ios-app&utm_medium=share

13 hours ago, mirrorimij said:

What about this?  Same quality as the black one?  This is the look I’m after and it has vintage specs.  Do the electronics suck or ok as is.

https://reverb.com/item/19759566-fender-traditional-60s-telecaster-custom-3-color-sunburst-made-in-japan?utm_source=ios-app&utm_medium=share

That's a lot of quality guitar for $944.57. Electronics? Japanese electrics have upped the quality of hardware/electronics, so I wouldn't worry about that. Certainly solid in the last 30yrs or so. Chinese, Indonesia, Vietnam are the up-and-comers. They'll catch up soon enough.

16 hours ago, mirrorimij said:

Use this search at Reverb: fender telecaster 62 and select United States.

I see an AVRI in sunburst at $1850 (near your budget). I had an AVRI years ago, it was really amazing. There are a couple Japanese ones too.

https://reverb.com/item/17712926-fender-american-vintage-62-reissue-sunburst

11 hours ago, mirrorimij said:

I see its still for sale?  I'm confused, seems to be exactly what you are looking for, so pull the trigger.

1 hour ago, G Man said:

I see its still for sale?  I'm confused, seems to be exactly what you are looking for, so pull the trigger.

What he said, but if you want an aged Nash then hold out. Just like any guitar some are good and some are over the top. 

The only reason I haven’t pulled the trigger is I have never purchased from Japan and the import duties are on me according to the add.  I’m trying to figure out actual cost.  I think it’s closer to $1200 when you factor that in. 

2 minutes ago, mirrorimij said:

The only reason I haven’t pulled the trigger is I have never purchased from Japan and the import duties are on me according to the add.

Personally, I would avoid that and narrow my scope to the 100,000,000 Telecasters for sale in this country.

52 minutes ago, mirrorimij said:

The only reason I haven’t pulled the trigger is I have never purchased from Japan and the import duties are on me according to the add.  I’m trying to figure out actual cost.  I think it’s closer to $1200 when you factor that in. 

If they ship EMS, it's unlikely you'll incur any duties (I never have). The bigger issue is that it has rosewood, which is restricted. However, I and others have imported many guitars with rosewood with no issues. 

But I'm with Kiz on this one. the price isn't good enough to warrant dealing with the issues if you aren't used to them. You should be able to find one in the US for roughly the same price.

Archived