Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Lure of the Double Bound Telecaster

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a 50th anniversary MIJ Tele with Gold Hardware and Double Binding that matched the Pick Guard.. I wish I had kept it...

Tele 50th MIJ.jpg

Tele 50th MIJ 2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Still waiting.  I was supposed to have it in my hands by the end of April.  Hopefully it will be soon.  Very disappointed in the salesman.  He told me twice he was going to “check the status” and “let me know” and I’ve heard nothing but crickets..

waiting on a factory fresh American Original Telecaster in Sunburst.  Bought one brand new off Reverb, store went to ship it and found a hack mark on the back and only offered $50 off.  I opted to wait and get a new one.  

My Double Bound, matching the pickguard, MIJ 50th anniversary Telecaster..

Tele 50th MIJ.jpg

Tele 50th MIJ 2.jpg

Here's my 'Cabronita'-style bound Tele, with a Lollar P-90 in the bridge position, TysonTone P-90 in the neck position, MJT lightly relic'd double-bound ash body in Daphne Blue; plus Glendale 'Hardtail' bridge plate, saddles (aluminum for the low E and A, steel for the rest, AKA the 'Bakersfield Twang' set), neck plate, 'AL/CRS/Brass' string ferrules, and BIG (.99" at the 1st fret, 1.01" at the 12th) Musikraft figured roasted U-shaped maple neck with medium jumbo stainless steel frets and a 12" radius.  Weighs in at 6.8 lbs:

tA4DUbM.jpg

8SpgSTb.jpg

P.S.: I bought it second-hand at DGS about a year or so ago; so no, I didn't blow out my budget for all the 'goodies'.

8 hours ago, crunchee said:

Here's my 'Cabronita'-style bound Tele, with a Lollar P-90 in the bridge position, TysonTone P-90 in the neck position, MJT lightly relic'd double-bound ash body in Daphne Blue; plus Glendale 'Hardtail' bridge plate, saddles (aluminum for the low E and A, steel for the rest, AKA the 'Bakersfield Twang' set), neck plate, 'AL/CRS/Brass' string ferrules, and BIG (.99" at the 1st fret, 1.01" at the 12th) Musikraft figured roasted U-shaped maple neck with medium jumbo stainless steel frets and a 12" radius.  Weighs in at 6.8 lbs:

tA4DUbM.jpg

8SpgSTb.jpg

P.S.: I bought it second-hand at DGS about a year or so ago; so no, I didn't blow out my budget for all the 'goodies'.

LOVE that. Have been looking at different P90 teles (to build) tonight and the Cabronitas came on my radar. Had never even heard of them before. Kind of feel like “where the f have I been..?”

I was thinking of a single p90 Tele, kind of like a Junior. 

On 3/18/2019 at 4:15 PM, custom53 said:

I had a 50th anniversary MIJ Tele with Gold Hardware and Double Binding that matched the Pick Guard.. I wish I had kept it...

Tele 50th MIJ.jpg

Tele 50th MIJ 2.jpg

I had one just like it back in the day.....................it had a great neck as I remember.I traded a pretty rare guitar [Gibson Heritage Les Pauls] poster for it.

4 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

I can't believe its still there. I really don't need another telecaster, but I have a think for Japanese Fenders. 

I like the build quality of them, but I'm not a fan of MIJ/CIJ Fenders that use basswood bodies, primarily because they dent easily. 

Fernandes had MIJ double bound tele copies with alder bodies back in the 1990s, I think they were called the TE-2. I remember they looked, sounded and played incredible and they were quite affordable way back then. Like this one ... it was listed for $495 on Reverb in 2017.

fhegdap7lynzatb4it0z.jpg

On 3/9/2019 at 11:06 AM, G Man said:

Jeez I feel like I'm behind the curve this morning.  I also was going to recommend MIJ Fender.    You might also see if you can find a nice body from MJT guitars and build your own to spec. 

As to Nash, he builds partscasters,  but has the benefit of buying enough bodies and necks at a time that he can match them up pretty well, and then does his own finishes and mostly uses Lollars these days.  I own a Nash PB63 and gotta say, its more the sum of its parts type of deal.  They really do play and feel great in the hand and if mine is any indication, have the sounds I'm looking for in this type of instrument.

Very nicely put.   I think the secret to nash’s are the tight fit and the large brass saddles.    I think he tweaks the neck angle so he can use a fully round brass saddle without having it bottom out.      That said.    If mirror prefers the vintage radius check out fenders American vintage series.  (The series just prior to American original).  They made some nice stuff. (Thin nitro. Good pickups).  Don’t quite recall if they made a double bound tele but the 65 strat ri and 64 tele is one of the nicest of their vintage reissue series.  you can still find em used in nice shape.  

10 hours ago, DaveL said:

I think the secret to nash’s are the tight fit and the large brass saddles.    I think he tweaks the neck angle so he can use a fully round brass saddle without having it bottom out.  

A tight fit in the neck-to-body area is a must, but there's no 'magic' involved in that, only tighter tolerances with no 'slop' (gaps) in the neck pocket fit.  There shouldn't be any added expense to that, it's just simply good manufacturing practice (anybody remember the gripes about CBS-era Fender guitars?), and good preventive maintenance by preventing your tools or machinery from going out of specifications.  I always do the 'business card' test when looking at a guitar, if I can easily slide a business card between the side of the neck and the body in the neck pocket, then that guitar gets a failing grade from me.

When I got my 'Cabronita', the action was set very low per the previous owner's preference and it had some string buzz, which I hate with a passion.  Plus, I like to bend strings, which can be difficult with low action.  I like to let those strings ring out fully, especially on a Tele!  The Glendale barrel saddles are nice, but I found that the height adjustment screws on the saddles were much too short for my liking once I raised the saddles and string height to my preference; by the time I had finished adjusting the saddle height, I found that the height adjustment screws didn't have a lot of contact or adjustment travel left inside the height adjustment screw holes in the saddles.  My solution was to replace the Glendale height adjustment screws with longer Fender height adjustment screws from a traditional Fender Tele 60's-style steel saddle set, they were a perfect exact fit and now have full contact in the holes with the inside of the Glendale saddles.  And no, the height-adjustment screws don't stick out of the top of the saddles because of the additional length.

The point I'm getting at is that maybe the bottom of the saddles or the shape of the saddles aren't the problem!  And I definitely don't think that neck angle is an issue, otherwise we'd all be hearing a LOT more about that, about more players using shims in the neck pockets of their guitars, or even about old-style built-in neck-tilt adjustors.  Maybe players nowadays are setting the saddle height too low because 'that's what everybody does', and the manufacturers are having to re-design them and sell them like that because of current player preference, and NOT because it's best for using and playing the guitar optimally!

It finally arrived yesterday.  Everytime I try to post a picture I get an error.  Will try again tonight. I’ve looked at a lot of wood over the years and it looks like a one piece body.  

Well, I guess this is too little, too late, but I'll post it in case anybody else caught the fever and is on the lookout for a bound "Tele".

"G&L ASAT Classic Electric Guitar Clear Orange over Ash Top Bound Brand New" $1649

spacer.png

Available on eBay.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally!!

Archived