Hamer Fan Club Message Center

FS 1971 Les Paul Deluxe mini humbuckers $2500

My first "real guitar."  I bought this in 1978.  All of the wear you see came from the original owner.  I bought this from a guy who was moving to a 335 when Larry Carlton and those players were in vogue. After I bought this, I realized I was a Fender guy and played this some over the last 40 years.  There were long periods when I never played it all for personal reasons (mostly lack of ability). Finally getting around to sell and fund my granddaughter's college fund. No trades.

It sounds and plays great.  I know that is subjective but good players have said so FWIW. The particulars for full disclosure:

• 1971 -  Serial number is hard to see.  Pots dated to the fall of 1971.  When I inspected this a couple months ago, i wiped of the dust and discovered there is a tone pot where a vol pot should be.
  • Pro refret around 1990.  No fret wear. 
  • Maybe a new tail piece ten years ago. Maybe not.  I don't have an old one.
  • Pickups were reseated for stability at some point.  I think the original owner said the magnets were reversed for out of phase.  I don't know enough to tell.
  • Tuners were switched to Grovers by original owner.
  • Every few years it was taken in for adjustments, etc.  I would said I was a good caretaker.

Body condition is nice.  A few dings and scratches are there.  I would call this a mild relic, if that.  This was no a case queen when I bought it.  Nice patina, especially by the upper bought where it is a bit greeny.  The are two scapes on the neck by the heel and mid-neck.  See photos 14 and 15.  It may bother you.  Just pointing them out. No breaks or cracks.

What else.  Same case when I bought it. Hasn't been restrung in a while.

Check out all the photos in the Photobucket album.  Happy to answer questions. Check out a couple other Hamers of mine.

Price is $2500 for HFCers.  I think that is fair or maybe low compared to Reverb listings.  

$100 to ship double boxed. US only.   Will refund the difference if less, but I will pack to survive transit.  Money order or check after clearing.  PayPal Gift or you pay the fees. 

I have purchased from Django (who hasn't), Johnny Thunders and BubbaVO.

http://s384.photobucket.com/user/Pieman_101/library/1971 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe gold top?sort=2&page=1

If somebody would re-post a photo here, I would be thankful.  My photos seem to be too large for me to enter.

Thanks Joe  The Photobucket slide show is set for slow but there are 23 photos there 

Also I have an inquiry about cross-border shipment and I will have to say no.  I don't want to deal with the risk of customs purgatory.  Also, I will pack this for point to point delivery, so it gets there in one piece.  Don't want another stage between me and the buyer.

Arrrrrrrrrrgh!.. why is it when I tell myself No more guitars, someone post a must-have guitar? 😕

Looks like it would be easy enough to put the original tuners back on... Does anybody know if you have to redrill the peg holes to accommodate those Grover's?

2 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

... Does anybody know if you have to redrill the peg holes to accommodate those Grover's?

I’ve had to ream the Kluson holes out to get the Grovers installed on the swaps I’ve done.

Just now, Dutchman said:

I’ve had to ream the Kluson holes out to get the Grovers installed on the swaps I’ve done.

That's what I thought... To reinstall the original Gibson Klusions back, I think you'd have to insert tuner ferrules/bushings huh?.. still no biggie 

BTW, Awesome guitar~

5 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

To reinstall the original Gibson Klusions back, I think you'd have to insert tuner ferrules/bushings huh?.. still no biggie 

Yeah... the reinstall good and solid w bushings. 

https://reverb.com/p/allparts-adapter-bushings?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIptmckJz24AIVDp7ACh1CHw6qEAQYAiABEgJ2fPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&hfid=18302

Large holes back to small holes ... those adapter bushings. I keep a set handy in the shop all the time. I think they're Gotoh but don't quote me on that.

Small holes to large holes ... use a reamer. DO NOT USE AN ELECTRIC DRILL, NOT EVEN A STATIONARY DRILL PRESS. The problem is not the drill(s) but the drill bit, most common bits can and likely will catch/snag and tear jagged splinters entering the hole you're widening. 

Additional information:

Somebody asked about what I meant by "reseating the pickups for stability."  IIRC, the neck pickup mounting was a little spongy, i.e., if you pushed on one side, there was some give to it. When it was refretted, the tech put in something so the pick up height could be adjusted.  No, the body was not rerouted.  I never pulled the pick ups but I believe they are original. Thet were in there when I bought this 40 years ago.

Somebody asked about the "scratch"  (I don't know what to call it) on the high side of the neck.  It is centered over the seventh fret.  See the new photo with a penny for size reference.  I turned the neck to catch the light.  The photo accents it.  To me, it is no biggie but I am putting it out there.  

http://s384.photobucket.com/user/Pieman_101/library/1971 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe gold top?sort=2&page=2

The price is firm.  If it doesn't sell, it will go back on the shelf. i have five Tallies and T-Pros that will bring as much or more.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

An HFC-er asked me to report on the truss rod.  It turned pretty easy in one direction but a bit tighter on the other direction.  It was the first time I ever put a truss rod wrench on it.  I decided to take it to the guitar tech for restring, intonation, neck relief, truss rod check etc..  My daughter dropped it off today,  I want this to be in a- ok shape.   He wrote me back and said it would be a couple weeks.  I am going to take this off the market for now.   I will also try to get the serial number when it is returned.  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

There are several of you who have asked to be contacted when it comes back from the tech. He is way backlogged and I am waiting for him to check the truss rod, new set- up etc.

If anybody has thoughts on how to get a good read on the serial number, please pass that along. It was not a stamped number, IIRC.

"The most important dating feature on guitars with six-digit serial numbers is that, starting in 1970, Gibson began stamping “Made In USA” near the serial number on the back of the headstock." and "As for dating pots, .....t the fourth and fifth numbers of the potentiometer date code indicate the last two digits of the year"

Take with a grain of alt, from: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Dating_A_70s_Les_Paul

Yours looks like it just wore off from the pics, you can tell there was something there but...maybe a magnifying glass would help?

On 4/8/2019 at 1:18 PM, Pieman said:

If anybody has thoughts on how to get a good read on the serial number, please pass that along. It was not a stamped number, IIRC.

Might be worth a shot to shine a black light on it in a dark room.  Some inks light up.

• 11 months later...

Hi.  I Iost track of the HFC-er who bought this and I cleaned out my mail box some time ago.

I think I found the original bridge and would be happy to send it along.   Probably nice to be able to say you have it.

Please PM me.  Thanks.  tom

Archived