Hamer Fan Club Message Center

One thing you dislike about a guitar

I don't want to use the word 'hate' but I guess everyone has something that you can't stand seeing on an electric guitar. Mine is quilted tops. I really don't like em. The more highly figured, more I move away from it. For me, quilted top is simply ugly, tasteless and unoriginal. Maybe that's one of the reasons why I like Hamers.

What is yours? You don't need to give a reason, just tell me what makes you stay away from a guitar?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

They don't have vaginas.

Why do you think they call them "F-holes"...?

12 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

They don't have vaginas.

Attach one of those Fleshlight contraptions to it. Problem solved. 😆

Since the op is asking what we hate to see then for me it's a heavy relic, extra points for the finish over finish jobs.

Not a big fan of gold hardware either however I do like the look after it is aged from playwear over........................ time.like this for example.FITbS1w.jpgsC4C6gA.jpg

Some headstocks turn me off... to the point of not being able to ever consider owning the guitar. The pointy PRS, Heritage, the 4/2 Gretsch Corvette, D’Angelico, etc.

Being over 50 & having arthritis, I’m not into heavy guitars (I try to keep new ones coming in under 9 lbs).

Definitely with you guys on relics... I've got a few with some serious wear, but it's all honest. 

I've got quite a few things that I won't say I "hate"... they're fine for other people, just not my cup-o-tea.

Floyd Rose trems... I know a lot of guys love them, but to me it's a Rube Goldberg solution to problems that can be solved in other ways.

Red, wine red, or really red bursts...

A lot of things are certain combos... I don't like gold hardware on a lot of things, but it goes great with Korina and I wouldn't kick a white LP custom out of bed for gold hardware either. I don't like a flat (over 10") radius fretboard on a Fender-style guitar, but I'm fine with it on other things.

I could go on, but the doctor has shown up with my meds...

6 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

They don't have vaginas.

Now what kinda crack is that?

14 minutes ago, django49 said:

Now what kinda crack is that?

Hate seeing a huge gash...

On a guitar...

29 minutes ago, Travis said:

Hate seeing a huge gash...

An old man once told me, "Son, theres good 'ole big-uns, and big 'ole good-uns".

9 hours ago, Stike said:

Since the op is asking what we hate to see then for me it's a heavy relic, extra points for the finish over finish jobs.

Ditto that!! And when the string ends are curled up and not trimmed off!!

12 hours ago, Uluc Akay said:

I don't want to use the word 'hate' but I guess everyone has something that you can't stand seeing on an electric guitar. Mine is quilted tops. I really don't like em. The more highly figured, more I move away from it. For me, quilted top is simply ugly, tasteless and unoriginal. Maybe that's one of the reasons why I like Hamers.

What is yours? You don't need to give a reason, just tell me what makes you stay away from a guitar?

Not saying this is the case, but  A LOT of the time when someone REALLY dislikes a guitar or model, it's because they usually can't afford them.

It's beyond their financial grasp, and there's some envy that makes the red-eyed jealous.

You sort of come across like this with your post.

I'm not insinuating this is true, but you post kinda reads this way.

This is a really leaning TGP type of negative post.

Sometimes it's really better to not post negative stuff like this because you can offend people.

I just happen to be one of these that owns these offending "Quilted and Flamed Gibson LP and PRS type guitars.

I'll let this pass because you're from another country, and this may be very common there.

1 hour ago, Texsunburst59 said:

Not saying this is the case, but  A LOT of the time when someone REALLY dislikes a guitar or model, it's because they usually can't afford them.

It's beyond their financial grasp, and there's some envy that makes the red-eyed jealous.

You sort of come across like this with your post.

I'm not insinuating this is true, but you post kinda reads this way.

This is a really leaning TGP type of negative post.

Sometimes it's really better to not post negative stuff like this because you can offend people.

I just happen to be one of these that owns these offending "Quilted and Flamed Gibson LP and PRS type guitars.

I'll let this pass because you're from another country, and this may be very common there.

Maybe I'm misreading it, but I didn't really get that vibe... Guitars are a very subjective thing, and I think we've all got things we aren't crazy about. I've obviously got my share... Gig bags. Don't get me started on gig bags!

Also, if you're buying USA Hamers, you probably aren't exactly stone broke. The gap between the guy buying a $500 guitar and the guy buying a $1500 guitar is probably wider than the gap between the $1500 guy and the $3000 guy. Once you're past a certain threshold with your - let's be honest - frivolous purchases, it's just a matter of how many paychecks you're willing to wait for the new toy.

Personally, I've got absolutely no shame about my love for figured wood, whether flame, quilt, birdseye... whatever. I was just talking to a friend tonight about some cutting a slab or two from some alder burl he wound up with... might wind up a table, might wind up a guitar...

Archived