Hamer Fan Club Message Center

One thing you dislike about a guitar

I don't like fetish inlays. Dot markers, finger nail style, and Hamer victory inlays are good, but I can't stand birds, gothic symbols, Dolphins, and --- don't kill me-- boomers. I don't hate such inlays, but they busy the fretboard too much to my personal liking. 

I also don't like older burst paint jobs where it looks like a gaudy yellow to ugly kind of reddish muddy orange. Many older Lesters come to mind. 

I'd never own an Ibanez solid body because I hate their headstock design (though their hollowbody head stocks are nice). I suppose I like a lot of things that others hate.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Texsunburst59 said:

Not saying this is the case, but  A LOT of the time when someone REALLY dislikes a guitar or model, it's because they usually can't afford them.

It's beyond their financial grasp, and there's some envy that makes the red-eyed jealous.

You sort of come across like this with your post.

I'm not insinuating this is true, but you post kinda reads this way.

This is a really leaning TGP type of negative post.

Sometimes it's really better to not post negative stuff like this because you can offend people.

I just happen to be one of these that owns these offending "Quilted and Flamed Gibson LP and PRS type guitars.

I'll let this pass because you're from another country, and this may be very common there.

You're exactly right, this is not the case. Maybe you are being too sensitive on things and I can understand that.  Anyway thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Another thing I thought of: mismatched headstocks. I hate when the headstock doesn’t match the body aesthetically. Pointy headstocks on pointy guitars make sense to me. Some of the old BC Rich models come to mind. Not my cup of tea but I see the congruency in design. Curvy headstocks with curvy bodies: fender strat and tele headstocks come to mind as being perfect matches to each other. 

Its when the headstock and the body don’t seem to go together that I get bothered. I’ve seen strat headstocks on pointy V guitars. I think a Jackson pointy headstock on a strat body doesn’t match. While it goes better with the super strat 7/8’s dinky body, I think it’s perfect with the Rhoad’s, King V, Kelly, Warrior, etc. 

Call me a blasphemer but I never thought Hamer’s paddle headstock looked right on the Vector or Blitz bodies. And don’t even get me started on the Electraglide standard headstock on a sunburst body...

8 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

I don't like guitars that cost more than $10,000.  They are ugly, unoriginal, way overdone, gaudy, sound like crap and don't intonate. Did I say they're ugly. That's right. All of them. I hate them. They suck. Those that build them have unnatural relationships with goats. $10,000 guitars....PLEASE!  They should come with guitar cases that smell of lavender and vanilla bean, not like cat urine and elfen fecal matter.

Don, yours are all nice.

But you don't mention at all their "acoustic voices"

😀

On 3/9/2019 at 3:47 PM, gtrdaddy said:

They don't have vulvas.

Corrected!

3 minutes ago, Bennyboy-UK said:

Chrome coloured plastic pickup mounting rings. Just shit.

That’s actually a classic.

For what I don’t like, strings. They make noise when you pull them.

Gold? I tend to lean away, but in moderation, I can dig it.

43768875525_e0b54e18a9_b.jpg

I have even been able to overcome my natural aversion to certain Hamers that came with defective woods and excessive ornamentation....

47287870682_69f9095d81_b.jpg

47287870502_dda65fc697_b.jpg

This could be someone's dream guitar,could never be mine,just to many things that just don't appeal to me.That does not make it a bad guitar for someone.Everyone has their own preferences  when it comes to guitars as far as looks,playability and what sounds good to them.............and if its a guitar that they want to spend the money on. BTW the asking price for this one is 15K.i3HmdZX.jpg3WKQnyZ.jpgVENex18.jpg

It’s funny how we enjoy discussing about what we dislike. 😏

In general, I prefer simplicity and straightforwardness to complexity, fanciness and sophistication. But that’s mainly for the aesthetics.

Functionally speaking, I mainly dislike thin necks, locking tremolos and over-busy inlays.

Anything else, it just depends. In short, if the guitar feels good, I like it —and you may cite me from now on. 🤪🤣

Two things about relics (and I like relics).  Agree with stike  The dual color crap.    Beautiful lake placid blue with a giant splotch of sunburst I’m a spot where your arm cant possibly go?  You just ruined it.    And two. Dudes who age hardware and the stuff either locks  up, strips or say the tuner button just crumbles      How about just leavin the parts where the crap has to function mechanically alone so it can do its job. 

9 minutes ago, ArnieZ said:

I Really don't care for quilt or gold hardware, somebody please take these off my hands!

DSC00565.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

arniez

I’ll take both off those offensive looking monstosity’s...  $350.00 each 😇

Yeah, it isn't my thing, but I don't have too much against a moderate relic if I can't tell at a casual glance that it's a relic. That's the whole point right? It's simulating years of hard-knock smoky-dive sets. The relic guitar is part of a costume: make the player look like he's seen more crowds than excel sheets... If it doesn't look like the real deal then it's just a bad finish!

Once it gets to the point where the guitar doesn't even work well anymore, you've completely lost me.

19 hours ago, Thundersteel said:

no inlays

I forgot this one. The “no inlays” feature usually is a turn off for me, as much as very fancy or over-the-top inlays also are.

Also forgot active pickups. I don’t like them. 

So, thin necks, active pickups, locking trems, over-the-top aesthetics (including fancy inlays) and no inlays are features I dislike.

Ah! Guitars which look too bound to a specific musical genre also tend to kill my excitement —being metal and jazz the most apparent.

I mean, I do favour Vees and SG’s, as well as more classic-looking double-cutaways, Strats and even Standards; but if they go excessively pointy or excessively jazz-oriented, my interest tends to decrease.

2 hours ago, Dutchman said:

I’ll take both off those offensive looking monstosity’s...  $350.00 each 😇

You beat me to that exact post...

21 hours ago, Texsunburst59 said:

Not saying this is the case, but  A LOT of the time when someone REALLY dislikes a guitar or model, it's because they usually can't afford them.

It's beyond their financial grasp, and there's some envy that makes the red-eyed jealous.

You sort of come across like this with your post.

I'm not insinuating this is true, but you post kinda reads this way.

This is a really leaning TGP type of negative post.

Sometimes it's really better to not post negative stuff like this because you can offend people.

I just happen to be one of these that owns these offending "Quilted and Flamed Gibson LP and PRS type guitars.

I'll let this pass because you're from another country, and this may be very common there.

Dang, Hoss! Way to wealth-shame a new member. Wuzzit "that time" of the month for ya, or whut?

My favorite sentence is the last one, though. What a tool!

Gold hardware. Well, unless it's a black Les Paul Custom, then it's okay.

Fat necks. Having said that, my Special Korina Junior has a pretty substantial neck, but I like everything else about it so much it makes it okay.

A jackplug output connector on the top the guitar, unless it is a Stratocaster, then I like it.

But on an SG and a 335 it is horrible. For that reason I do not even want that kind of guitars,

Gabe 😀

While relics are not something I want, there was a lightly relic'ed guitar at RS Guitarworks that looked more like a lightly used guitar.  Paying a new price for something that looks used makes no sense, but in that case the guitar was one that you would never have to worry about when you would put a nick or scratch on it.  It would better suit me to have a new looking guitar, but if a relic plays like a dream then it is worth having.  You can always get someone to refinish it for you.  I intentionally want to win a guitar with a relic finish just so I can have it refinished.  Let the gearheads go crazy over how much the guitar is devalued. 

Guitars that do not stay in tune are the only thing that really has bothered me with guitars that have been through my stash of instruments.  There was a 1958 Les Paul Jr. that I had while in high school that had a six on a side set of tuners that meant three of them were backwards.  That may have been the problem, or there may have been binding at the nut.  It has been too many years, and that guitar is long gone.  My Dean ML had a neck that would bend back and forth if you moved too fast.  As great as it felt to play, the waviness of that neck was a nuisance. 

Poor repair jobs make me cringe. 

43 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

I love my 335s, but I never got used to the jack on the top!

Ah! In Vees, it’s inside the wings I dislike it. To play while sitting down, one needs to put one’s thigh in there, making the Vee to “mount” on your leg. A dong hanging in between her legs, man... that’s.... disgusting! 😖

27 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

I intentionally want to win a guitar with a relic finish just so I can have it refinished.  Let the gearheads go crazy over how much the guitar is devalued. 

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! YES!!!  This. So much this.  

Years ago our work did a “time and talent auction” and one of the employees offered up a multi-course vegan meal. I wanted to bid on it and then just throw bacon on all of it. 

Archived