Hamer Fan Club Message Center

One thing you dislike about a guitar

This Nash, twisted neck, and the BS to get it replaced to only have to refinish the replacement neck, replace the tuners because one was bad, and the bridge,  when I got the guitar back months later.   With all the crap parts I replaced, I added new pickups and an Alembic Stratoblaster.   Now, it’s a cool keeper   

F53D6E72-A588-4E8A-A90C-D40A058B73C8.jpeg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:30 PM, Dutchman said:

I’ll take both off those offensive looking monstosity’s...  $350.00 each 😇

Start adding some zero's after the 350. and before the decimal point and we could Start a conversation😀

In all seriousness, I really love guitars!

There are no cosmetic deal breakers for me if I like it!

Having said that, I am not getting along well with skinny necks anymore😪

ArnieZ

Generally not a fan of: relics; black hardware; Les Paul copies with bolt-on necks;  Flying Vs with square or LP style-headstocks; scalloped fingerboards; guitars with Grateful Dead stickers/graphics on them; bs artist models that you know the "artist" doesn't actually use; and the fact that I'm not a better player.

Did I miss anything?

9 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

Expensive Imports~

I was considering including that one too but ultimately decided not to mention it because there's so many excellent imports out there now. I do have to admit, though, that it does get my gander up when I see what some are going for.

I like bolt-neck guitars when they're done right, but any of them that I can stick a business card along the side of the neck pocket all of the way to the back of the pocket with the neck bolted in place get an immediate fail from me.

2 hours ago, prototype-fan said:

I was considering including that one too but ultimately decided not to mention it because there's so many excellent imports out there now. I do have to admit, though, that it does get my gander up when I see what some are going for.

Korea has been building some really excellent guitars for quite some time. I've got a few Korean guitars that I'm quite fond of. I really like my Echotone, and I don't think I could come up with a replacement of similar quality without spending a lot more money. I'll take it over most Gibson 335's I've handled - then again, I prefer the 25.5" scale, so it has an advantage on most of the semi-hollow market.

If you think about it, Japan did the same thing... it went from, "oh, look... they think they can build guitars!" to Japanese Fenders going for about the same money as USA Fenders and Japanese Burny and Greco Les Pauls costing only slightly less on the used market than Gibsons. 

It's funny that when Japanese guitars came out everyone said 'they're crap!'. Then Korean guitars came along and MIJ's were good and 'Korean guitars are crap'. The Indonesians were next and that made the Korean ones good, China made the Indonesian's good, and so it goes....who's next?

1 hour ago, hamerhead said:

It's funny that when Japanese guitars came out everyone said 'they're crap!'. Then Korean guitars came along and MIJ's were good and 'Korean guitars are crap'. The Indonesians were next and that made the Korean ones good, China made the Indonesian's good, and so it goes....who's next?

Hell, just give me a Teisco!

6 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

I’m an over the binding guy too. As for rolled edges on binding, it’s fantastic. Much nicer feel than binding that you find on most guitars. I think most can tell the difference blindfolded while playing, between bound and unbound necks.  My DGT you wouldn’t know it was bound blindfolded. It feels so much better.

That is a good way to explain it. I have always liked the binding. Somehow, it makes the guitar feel more "finished", as if someone took the time to complete the build. I guess spending so many years with Les Pauls and 335s will do that to you. But the traditional Gibson "nibs" always seemed a little weird. All the more so if the guitar is refretted and they have to be reproduced to keep it "authentic".

My favorite guitar for the past several years does NOT have binding, so perhaps it does not really make that much difference. But the latest incidence of frets over a nice rolled binding really underscore what makes a guitar really feel, to me, like an old friend......shishkov39.jpg

The volume knob location on a strat, large pick guards, skinny necks, bad relics, mini humbuckers, gold hardware, and Kahlers.

Archived