Hamer Fan Club Message Center

One thing you dislike about a guitar

On 3/13/2019 at 11:55 AM, DaveH said:

Hell, just give me a Teisco!

When they first came out, I would use a Teisco to start a fire.  Today, I would do the same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My hate list is mostly Gibson-centric:

Harmonica bridges on 70s Gibsons

Wine Red LP Customs

Once upon a time, I loved having zebra pickups in my guitars.  I’m over that now.  That said, I also find a pair of double black pickups to be pretty boring too. 

Goldtop LPs with black plastic.

Dry looking, lightly colored rosewood fretboards.

Witch hat & chicken head knobs 

70s-mid 80s SGs where the end of the fretboard butts up directly to the neck pickup, and screw those small rectangular inlays too, while we’re at it

Unbound fretboards on a set neck guitar 

Juniors & Specials with stop bars & tune-o-matics 

Strats with HSH configurations 

LP Customs with maple fretboards 

signed, 

Hack “The Crown Prince Of Hate”-ubus

4 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

I like the original Dean headstocks well enough.  The redesign, not so much, but it was for a specific market of metal fans. 

For me it was an acquired taste. I used to hate those Dean headstocks. But when I tried the Czech Deans and began playing them frequently, I was so amazed by how good they were, that their headstocks didn’t bother me anymore... and I ended up even liking them!

6 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Expensive guitars when the owner can't play for shit.

And here we enter again in the “I don’t deserve this guitar” debate. 😏

7 hours ago, zorrow said:

For me it was an acquired taste. I used to hate those Dean headstocks. But when I tried the Czech Deans and began playing them frequently, I was so amazed by how good they were, that their headstocks didn’t bother me anymore... and I ended up even liking them!

Stockholm syndrome.

What really haunts me is the heil-say of Gibson and Fender and that most builders are copying these, not because the standard shapes are in terms natural, but because they are Gibson and Fender. That’s making the guitar market in many ways boring.

Archived