Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Uluc Akay

One thing you dislike about a guitar

Thin necks and abalone.  Pearl meshes well with the overall look, but abalone just doesnt for me. 

• Like 1

Early on in my guitar endeavors, I liked the abalone look. Now I can't stand it. Looks way too gaudy or over the top to me now.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stike said:

Since the op is asking what we hate to see then for me it's a heavy relic, extra points for the finish over finish jobs.

Ditto that!! And when the string ends are curled up and not trimmed off!!

• Like 1

Curled ends I can live with... just don't leave any eye-pokers!

Speaking of strings... Craigslist ads for guitars with missing strings! Absolutely kills me! Go spend the five bucks you cheap ass!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Uluc Akay said:

I don't want to use the word 'hate' but I guess everyone has something that you can't stand seeing on an electric guitar. Mine is quilted tops. I really don't like em. The more highly figured, more I move away from it. For me, quilted top is simply ugly, tasteless and unoriginal. Maybe that's one of the reasons why I like Hamers.

What is yours? You don't need to give a reason, just tell me what makes you stay away from a guitar?

Not saying this is the case, but  A LOT of the time when someone REALLY dislikes a guitar or model, it's because they usually can't afford them.

It's beyond their financial grasp, and there's some envy that makes the red-eyed jealous.

You sort of come across like this with your post.

I'm not insinuating this is true, but you post kinda reads this way.

This is a really leaning TGP type of negative post.

Sometimes it's really better to not post negative stuff like this because you can offend people.

I just happen to be one of these that owns these offending "Quilted and Flamed Gibson LP and PRS type guitars.

I'll let this pass because you're from another country, and this may be very common there.

• Like 4

I don't like thin necks, dot inlays, no inlays, and pick guards

• Like 1

Purfling. Not because it’s beyond my financial grasp, but because it’s unnecessary and gaudy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texsunburst59 said:

Not saying this is the case, but  A LOT of the time when someone REALLY dislikes a guitar or model, it's because they usually can't afford them.

It's beyond their financial grasp, and there's some envy that makes the red-eyed jealous.

Sometimes it's really better to not post negative stuff like this because you can offend people.

I just happen to be one of these that owns these offending "Quilted and Flamed Gibson LP and PRS type guitars.

I'll let this pass because you're from another country, and this may be very common there.

Maybe I'm misreading it, but I didn't really get that vibe... Guitars are a very subjective thing, and I think we've all got things we aren't crazy about. I've obviously got my share... Gig bags. Don't get me started on gig bags!

Also, if you're buying USA Hamers, you probably aren't exactly stone broke. The gap between the guy buying a $500 guitar and the guy buying a $1500 guitar is probably wider than the gap between the $1500 guy and the $3000 guy. Once you're past a certain threshold with your - let's be honest - frivolous purchases, it's just a matter of how many paychecks you're willing to wait for the new toy.

Personally, I've got absolutely no shame about my love for figured wood, whether flame, quilt, birdseye... whatever. I was just talking to a friend tonight about some cutting a slab or two from some alder burl he wound up with... might wind up a table, might wind up a guitar...

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I don't like fetish inlays. Dot markers, finger nail style, and Hamer victory inlays are good, but I can't stand birds, gothic symbols, Dolphins, and --- don't kill me-- boomers. I don't hate such inlays, but they busy the fretboard too much to my personal liking. 

I also don't like older burst paint jobs where it looks like a gaudy yellow to ugly kind of reddish muddy orange. Many older Lesters come to mind. 

I'd never own an Ibanez solid body because I hate their headstock design (though their hollowbody head stocks are nice). I suppose I like a lot of things that others hate.

Edited by FGJ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Texsunburst59 said:

13 minutes ago, Marvelicious said:

Maybe I'm misreading it, but I didn't really get that vibe... Guitars are a very subjective thing, and I think we've all got things we aren't crazy about. I've obviously got my share... Gig bags. Don't get me started on gig bags!

Also, if you're buying USA Hamers, you probably aren't exactly stone broke. The gap between the guy buying a $500 guitar and the guy buying a $1500 guitar is probably wider than the gap between the $1500 guy and the $3000 guy. Once you're past a certain threshold with your - let's be honest - frivolous purchases, it's just a matter of how many paychecks you're willing to wait for the new toy.

Personally, I've got absolutely no shame about my love for figured wood, whether flame, quilt, birdseye... whatever. I was just talking to a friend tonight about some cutting a slab or two from some alder burl he wound up with... might wind up a table, might wind up a guitar...

I don't like guitars that cost more than $10,000.  They are ugly, unoriginal, way overdone, gaudy, sound like crap and don't intonate. Did I say they're ugly. That's right. All of them. I hate them. They suck. Those that build them have unnatural relationships with goats. $10,000 guitars....PLEASE!  They should come with guitar cases that smell of lavender and vanilla bean, not like cat urine and elfen fecal matter.

Don, yours are all nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Texsunburst59 said:

You're exactly right, this is not the case. Maybe you are being too sensitive on things and I can understand that.  Anyway thanks for sharing your thoughts!

• Like 1

There's a short list of turn offs for me.  Thin "shredder" necks. Locking tremelo systems. Active pickups. Anything John Mayer (looking at you PRS)....

• Like 3

Another thing I thought of: mismatched headstocks. I hate when the headstock doesn’t match the body aesthetically. Pointy headstocks on pointy guitars make sense to me. Some of the old BC Rich models come to mind. Not my cup of tea but I see the congruency in design. Curvy headstocks with curvy bodies: fender strat and tele headstocks come to mind as being perfect matches to each other. 

Its when the headstock and the body don’t seem to go together that I get bothered. I’ve seen strat headstocks on pointy V guitars. I think a Jackson pointy headstock on a strat body doesn’t match. While it goes better with the super strat 7/8’s dinky body, I think it’s perfect with the Rhoad’s, King V, Kelly, Warrior, etc. 

Call me a blasphemer but I never thought Hamer’s paddle headstock looked right on the Vector or Blitz bodies. And don’t even get me started on the Electraglide standard headstock on a sunburst body...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

I don't like guitars that cost more than $10,000.  They are ugly, unoriginal, way overdone, gaudy, sound like crap and don't intonate. Did I say they're ugly. That's right. All of them. I hate them. They suck. Those that build them have unnatural relationships with goats. $10,000 guitars....PLEASE!  They should come with guitar cases that smell of lavender and vanilla bean, not like cat urine and elfen fecal matter.

Don, yours are all nice.

But you don't mention at all their "acoustic voices"

😀

• Haha 2

On 3/9/2019 at 3:47 PM, gtrdaddy said:

They don't have vulvas.

Corrected!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bennyboy-UK said:

Chrome coloured plastic pickup mounting rings. Just shit.

That’s actually a classic.

For what I don’t like, strings. They make noise when you pull them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

EMG Pickups, Duncan Pickups, Gold Hardware, overly ornate, I like solid color guitars, so as much as I think quilts and stripes look amazing, I must hate em, cause I've only owned two guitars with even a fade/burst... Tune o Matics.... though I have two Hamers with em... I love me some expensive  and vintage geetars, but they are out of my peasant league, but saving for cool assed ones that are within savings reach, that's my mountain. 

I keep seeing B&G guitars on FB and in ads, but I don't like em one bit, and their schtick don't stick with me. 

Posted (edited)

Gold? I tend to lean away, but in moderation, I can dig it.

43768875525_e0b54e18a9_b.jpg

I have even been able to overcome my natural aversion to certain Hamers that came with defective woods and excessive ornamentation....

47287870682_69f9095d81_b.jpg

47287870502_dda65fc697_b.jpg

Edited by django49
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

This could be someone's dream guitar,could never be mine,just to many things that just don't appeal to me.That does not make it a bad guitar for someone.Everyone has their own preferences  when it comes to guitars as far as looks,playability and what sounds good to them.............and if its a guitar that they want to spend the money on. BTW the asking price for this one is 15K.i3HmdZX.jpg3WKQnyZ.jpgVENex18.jpg

Edited by ARM OF HAMER

It’s funny how we enjoy discussing about what we dislike. 😏

In general, I prefer simplicity and straightforwardness to complexity, fanciness and sophistication. But that’s mainly for the aesthetics.

Functionally speaking, I mainly dislike thin necks, locking tremolos and over-busy inlays.

Anything else, it just depends. In short, if the guitar feels good, I like it —and you may cite me from now on. 🤪🤣

• Like 4

4 hours ago, specialk said:

But you don't mention at all their "acoustic voices"

😀

They all sound like a wet fart in an oil can.

• Haha 1

I Really don't care for quilt or gold hardware, somebody please take these off my hands!

DSC00565.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

arniez

• Like 5

Two things about relics (and I like relics).  Agree with stike  The dual color crap.    Beautiful lake placid blue with a giant splotch of sunburst I’m a spot where your arm cant possibly go?  You just ruined it.    And two. Dudes who age hardware and the stuff either locks  up, strips or say the tuner button just crumbles      How about just leavin the parts where the crap has to function mechanically alone so it can do its job. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, ArnieZ said:

I Really don't care for quilt or gold hardware, somebody please take these off my hands!

DSC00565.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

arniez

I’ll take both off those offensive looking monstosity’s...  $350.00 each 😇

Edited by Dutchman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4