Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Uluc Akay

One thing you dislike about a guitar

Yeah, it isn't my thing, but I don't have too much against a moderate relic if I can't tell at a casual glance that it's a relic. That's the whole point right? It's simulating years of hard-knock smoky-dive sets. The relic guitar is part of a costume: make the player look like he's seen more crowds than excel sheets... If it doesn't look like the real deal then it's just a bad finish!

Once it gets to the point where the guitar doesn't even work well anymore, you've completely lost me.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Thundersteel said:

no inlays

I forgot this one. The “no inlays” feature usually is a turn off for me, as much as very fancy or over-the-top inlays also are.

Also forgot active pickups. I don’t like them. 

So, thin necks, active pickups, locking trems, over-the-top aesthetics (including fancy inlays) and no inlays are features I dislike.

Ah! Guitars which look too bound to a specific musical genre also tend to kill my excitement —being metal and jazz the most apparent.

I mean, I do favour Vees and SG’s, as well as more classic-looking double-cutaways, Strats and even Standards; but if they go excessively pointy or excessively jazz-oriented, my interest tends to decrease.

2 hours ago, Dutchman said:

I’ll take both off those offensive looking monstosity’s...  $350.00 each 😇

You beat me to that exact post...

21 hours ago, Texsunburst59 said:

Not saying this is the case, but  A LOT of the time when someone REALLY dislikes a guitar or model, it's because they usually can't afford them.

It's beyond their financial grasp, and there's some envy that makes the red-eyed jealous.

You sort of come across like this with your post.

I'm not insinuating this is true, but you post kinda reads this way.

This is a really leaning TGP type of negative post.

Sometimes it's really better to not post negative stuff like this because you can offend people.

I just happen to be one of these that owns these offending "Quilted and Flamed Gibson LP and PRS type guitars.

I'll let this pass because you're from another country, and this may be very common there.

Dang, Hoss! Way to wealth-shame a new member. Wuzzit "that time" of the month for ya, or whut?

My favorite sentence is the last one, though. What a tool!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

Gold hardware. Well, unless it's a black Les Paul Custom, then it's okay.

Fat necks. Having said that, my Special Korina Junior has a pretty substantial neck, but I like everything else about it so much it makes it okay.

A jackplug output connector on the top the guitar, unless it is a Stratocaster, then I like it.

But on an SG and a 335 it is horrible. For that reason I do not even want that kind of guitars,

Gabe 😀

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gabe said:

A jackplug output connector on the top the guitar, unless it is a Stratocaster, then I like it.

But on an SG and a 335 it is horrible. For that reason I do not even want that kind of guitars,

Gabe 😀

I love my 335s, but I never got used to the jack on the top!

• Like 1

While relics are not something I want, there was a lightly relic'ed guitar at RS Guitarworks that looked more like a lightly used guitar.  Paying a new price for something that looks used makes no sense, but in that case the guitar was one that you would never have to worry about when you would put a nick or scratch on it.  It would better suit me to have a new looking guitar, but if a relic plays like a dream then it is worth having.  You can always get someone to refinish it for you.  I intentionally want to win a guitar with a relic finish just so I can have it refinished.  Let the gearheads go crazy over how much the guitar is devalued. 

Guitars that do not stay in tune are the only thing that really has bothered me with guitars that have been through my stash of instruments.  There was a 1958 Les Paul Jr. that I had while in high school that had a six on a side set of tuners that meant three of them were backwards.  That may have been the problem, or there may have been binding at the nut.  It has been too many years, and that guitar is long gone.  My Dean ML had a neck that would bend back and forth if you moved too fast.  As great as it felt to play, the waviness of that neck was a nuisance. 

Poor repair jobs make me cringe. 

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

I love my 335s, but I never got used to the jack on the top!

Ah! In Vees, it’s inside the wings I dislike it. To play while sitting down, one needs to put one’s thigh in there, making the Vee to “mount” on your leg. A dong hanging in between her legs, man... that’s.... disgusting! 😖

Edited by zorrow
  • Haha 5

27 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

I intentionally want to win a guitar with a relic finish just so I can have it refinished.  Let the gearheads go crazy over how much the guitar is devalued. 

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! YES!!!  This. So much this.  

Years ago our work did a “time and talent auction” and one of the employees offered up a multi-course vegan meal. I wanted to bid on it and then just throw bacon on all of it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

This Nash, twisted neck, and the BS to get it replaced to only have to refinish the replacement neck, replace the tuners because one was bad, and the bridge,  when I got the guitar back months later.   With all the crap parts I replaced, I added new pickups and an Alembic Stratoblaster.   Now, it’s a cool keeper   

F53D6E72-A588-4E8A-A90C-D40A058B73C8.jpeg

Edited by ptm1diver

What does the Alembic do? Is it a mids volume boost and is it variable? 

Hughie Thomasson used to favor these in his Strat and he always got a great sound. 

Ugly Headstocks(subjective)

Ugly Bodies(subjective)

Non-Locking Trems

Skinny Necks

Headless Guitars

Small Frets

Hardtail Bridges except the Kahler Pro fixed trem

Wraparound Bridges

Etc.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:30 PM, Dutchman said:

I’ll take both off those offensive looking monstosity’s...  $350.00 each 😇

Start adding some zero's after the 350. and before the decimal point and we could Start a conversation😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In all seriousness, I really love guitars!

There are no cosmetic deal breakers for me if I like it!

Having said that, I am not getting along well with skinny necks anymore😪

ArnieZ

• Like 4

1 hour ago, black magic said:

Ugly Headstocks(subjective)

Ugly Bodies(subjective)

Non-Locking Trems

Skinny Necks

Headless Guitars

Small Frets

Hardtail Bridges except the Kahler Pro fixed trem

Wraparound Bridges

Etc.

Etc? Damn! You’re a tough customer :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pear shaped bodies, shrieking highs, and flabby lows... Wait, are we still talking about guitars?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Generally not a fan of: relics; black hardware; Les Paul copies with bolt-on necks;  Flying Vs with square or LP style-headstocks; scalloped fingerboards; guitars with Grateful Dead stickers/graphics on them; bs artist models that you know the "artist" doesn't actually use; and the fact that I'm not a better player.

Did I miss anything?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Etc? Damn! You’re a tough customer :lol:

I am picky admittedly for sure. I have owned hundreds of guitars and now rotate about 10. I have 9 so that meens I need another one:D

• Like 1

I know what ewe mean about quilted tops. I really hate this one:

Flame.jpg

and this one;

cajunburst.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JGale said:

I know what ewe mean about quilted tops. I really hate this one:

Flame.jpg

and this one;