Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Uluc Akay

One thing you dislike about a guitar

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

Expensive Imports~

I was considering including that one too but ultimately decided not to mention it because there's so many excellent imports out there now. I do have to admit, though, that it does get my gander up when I see what some are going for.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I like bolt-neck guitars when they're done right, but any of them that I can stick a business card along the side of the neck pocket all of the way to the back of the pocket with the neck bolted in place get an immediate fail from me.

Edited by crunchee
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, prototype-fan said:

I was considering including that one too but ultimately decided not to mention it because there's so many excellent imports out there now. I do have to admit, though, that it does get my gander up when I see what some are going for.

Korea has been building some really excellent guitars for quite some time. I've got a few Korean guitars that I'm quite fond of. I really like my Echotone, and I don't think I could come up with a replacement of similar quality without spending a lot more money. I'll take it over most Gibson 335's I've handled - then again, I prefer the 25.5" scale, so it has an advantage on most of the semi-hollow market.

If you think about it, Japan did the same thing... it went from, "oh, look... they think they can build guitars!" to Japanese Fenders going for about the same money as USA Fenders and Japanese Burny and Greco Les Pauls costing only slightly less on the used market than Gibsons. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's funny that when Japanese guitars came out everyone said 'they're crap!'. Then Korean guitars came along and MIJ's were good and 'Korean guitars are crap'. The Indonesians were next and that made the Korean ones good, China made the Indonesian's good, and so it goes....who's next?

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hamerhead said:

It's funny that when Japanese guitars came out everyone said 'they're crap!'. Then Korean guitars came along and MIJ's were good and 'Korean guitars are crap'. The Indonesians were next and that made the Korean ones good, China made the Indonesian's good, and so it goes....who's next?

Hell, just give me a Teisco!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another coupla years and we'll be there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nicking my fingers on the string cuts on the tuners.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, prototype-fan said:

I do have to admit, though, that it does get my gander up

You have a horny erect goose? I think you mean dander.

:lol:

Edited by gtrdaddy
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not into playing a guitar with binding on the neck.  Looks nice, but the only one that didn't bother me was a Taylor with bevelled binding so that it was kind of like rolled edges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t like all those other nice guitars that I DON’T HAVE!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sixesandsevens said:

I'm not into playing a guitar with binding on the neck.  Looks nice, but the only one that didn't bother me was a Taylor with bevelled binding so that it was kind of like rolled edges.

PRS is rolling the edge of binding on some of their models. My DGT has rolled off binding. Feels great, and looks killer. Don't know why they all don't do it. It's a great feature!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Marvelicious said:

No need to roll the binding if you install the fret over it. I'm firmly in the anti-nib camp.

I’m an over the binding guy too. As for rolled edges on binding, it’s fantastic. Much nicer feel than binding that you find on most guitars. I think most can tell the difference blindfolded while playing, between bound and unbound necks.  My DGT you wouldn’t know it was bound blindfolded. It feels so much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

I’m an over the binding guy too. As for rolled edges on binding, it’s fantastic. Much nicer feel than binding that you find on most guitars. I think most can tell the difference blindfolded while playing, between bound and unbound necks.  My DGT you wouldn’t know it was bound blindfolded. It feels so much better.

That is a good way to explain it. I have always liked the binding. Somehow, it makes the guitar feel more "finished", as if someone took the time to complete the build. I guess spending so many years with Les Pauls and 335s will do that to you. But the traditional Gibson "nibs" always seemed a little weird. All the more so if the guitar is refretted and they have to be reproduced to keep it "authentic".

My favorite guitar for the past several years does NOT have binding, so perhaps it does not really make that much difference. But the latest incidence of frets over a nice rolled binding really underscore what makes a guitar really feel, to me, like an old friend......shishkov39.jpg

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate how guitars taunt me and refuse to play extended runs of 16th notes on time. The fret spacing always seems to be off too....

  • Like 5
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

You have a horny erect goose? I think you mean dander.

:lol:

You got me.... I’m a goose....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The volume knob location on a strat, large pick guards, skinny necks, bad relics, mini humbuckers, gold hardware, and Kahlers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 11:55 AM, DaveH said:

Hell, just give me a Teisco!

When they first came out, I would use a Teisco to start a fire.  Today, I would do the same.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My hate list is mostly Gibson-centric:

Harmonica bridges on 70s Gibsons

Wine Red LP Customs

Once upon a time, I loved having zebra pickups in my guitars.  I’m over that now.  That said, I also find a pair of double black pickups to be pretty boring too. 

Goldtop LPs with black plastic.

Dry looking, lightly colored rosewood fretboards.

Witch hat & chicken head knobs 

70s-mid 80s SGs where the end of the fretboard butts up directly to the neck pickup, and screw those small rectangular inlays too, while we’re at it

Unbound fretboards on a set neck guitar 

Juniors & Specials with stop bars & tune-o-matics 

Strats with HSH configurations 

LP Customs with maple fretboards 

 

signed, 

Hack “The Crown Prince Of Hate”-ubus

 

 

 

Edited by Hackubus
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

These grotesques.

image.pngimage.png

And reverse headstocks - especially reverse hockey stick headstocks - are design abominations.

 

Edited by Menehune

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the original Dean headstocks well enough.  The redesign, not so much, but it was for a specific market of metal fans. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

I like the original Dean headstocks well enough.  The redesign, not so much, but it was for a specific market of metal fans. 

For me it was an acquired taste. I used to hate those Dean headstocks. But when I tried the Czech Deans and began playing them frequently, I was so amazed by how good they were, that their headstocks didn’t bother me anymore... and I ended up even liking them!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Expensive guitars when the owner can't play for shit.

And here we enter again in the “I don’t deserve this guitar” debate. 😏

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, zorrow said:

For me it was an acquired taste. I used to hate those Dean headstocks. But when I tried the Czech Deans and began playing them frequently, I was so amazed by how good they were, that their headstocks didn’t bother me anymore... and I ended up even liking them!

Stockholm syndrome.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...