Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Sub $500 Bass recommendations?

Carl.B

Question

What sub $500 bass out there would you guy's recommend?  My preference would be a slim maple board. Since my Son finally took his basses including his MIJ Geddy Lee jazz bass home with him all I am left with is MIM Fender P-bass. I really liked the neck on the Geddy Lee the P-bass neck is just a little to big for my small hands. How does a Cruise bass compare either version set neck or bolt on?

Thanks for any input in advance.
Carl B

15 answers to this question

28 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Check out Schecter. I don’t know about today’s offerings, but I’ve a really killer one with maple neck and board that feels very much like a Geddy.

Thank you gtrdaddy!

A second generation Cruise Bass will be a great instrument with Jazz Bass features, but not in your price range.  The first generation Cruise was entirely different, and the nut width was that of the Precision Bass. 

Made in Mexico Fenders can be found in your price range.  Those are all nice. 

Also look for American made Peavey basses.  They were very much like Jazz Basses, and offered a lot of bang for the buck when new.  Even the cheap entry level models were nice to play.  They ought to be good deals on the used market. 

4 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

A second generation Cruise Bass will be a great instrument with Jazz Bass features, but not in your price range.  The first generation Cruise was entirely different, and the nut width was that of the Precision Bass. 

Made in Mexico Fenders can be found in your price range.  Those are all nice. 

Also look for American made Peavey basses.  They were very much like Jazz Basses, and offered a lot of bang for the buck when new.  Even the cheap entry level models were nice to play.  They ought to be good deals on the used market. 

Found a second generation Cruise Bass on CL locally going to check it out hopefully tomorrow. It's more than $500 but sometimes you got to do what you have to do.

The Indonesian-made G&L Tribute ASATs and Legacy guitars I've serviced at the shop have been exceptional in the bang-for-the-buck class, I'd suspect their Tribute L-series basses pack similar value. A quick Reverb scan showed clean used L-2000s clocking in around the $500 mark. Hit that "make an offer" button and you might get a pleasant in-budget surprise. 

Killer 2Tek Cruise, hope you got it! Those are underpriced for sure. 

You can probably score a used US G&L in your range. The SB-2 usually has a Jazz-like neck, the L-2000 is usually a bit wider. A Guild Pilot is another recommendation.

Check out talkbass. I've had no problems buying/shipping basses from that lot. 

Second Gen Cruise sounds like it's right up your alley (other than a rosewood board).  Jazz size neck, great players.  There's a couple on eBay, one in Sherwood IL, local pickup only, for 4 bills with one current bid (a bargain), and then this one:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hamer-USA-Cruise-Bass-4-String-With-2TEK-Bridge/202620091667?hash=item2f2d193d13:g:ONYAAOSwRolca3p~

The burst one says "best offer" - my guess is you have a good chance of getting it delivered for less than $600.  You won't regret paying a little extra.  I have almost a dozen Hamer basses, a Thunderbird, a American Standard Jazz, a couple of Stingrays, but my go to bass is still my blue Second Gen Cruise with a Gotoh bridge.

On 3/10/2019 at 2:18 PM, Jeff R said:

The Indonesian-made G&L Tribute ASATs and Legacy guitars I've serviced at the shop have been exceptional in the bang-for-the-buck class, I'd suspect their Tribute L-series basses pack similar value. A quick Reverb scan showed clean used L-2000s clocking in around the $500 mark. Hit that "make an offer" button and you might get a pleasant in-budget surprise. 

Your suspicions would be correct, sir. Here are a couple of G&L's Indonesian-made Tribute series J-basses priced at $449.99 each, new w/warranty:

71m3gZWugWL._AC_UL320_.jpg and     71CUtglMU7L._AC_UL320_.jpg

BTW, those cast bridges deliver massive tone with excellent clarity.

Archived