Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hal Blaine ... RIP

"Blaine appeared on such No. 1 hits as the Crystals’ “He’s a Rebel,” the Byrds’ “Mr. Tambourine Man,” Frank Sinatra’s “Strangers in the Night,” Simon & Garfunkel’s “Mrs. Robinson” and “Bridge Over Troubled Water,” the 5th Dimension’s “Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In,” the Carpenters’ “Close to You” and Barbra Streisand’s “The Way We Were.”"

Wasn't Karen Carpenter an accomplished drummer?

I grew up learning drums to his books and recently found out he was a local, growing up in the town next to where I live now.  Hal is responsible for more than we know, of that I am sure.

6 minutes ago, G Man said:

Hal is responsible for more than we know, of that I am sure.

You mean you might have a half brother somewhere?

I have a very dear friend (a drummer) who was very ill with a serious lung condition about 5 years ago. He wrote to a few of his influences while he was in the hospital 

to thank them for their work. He got a package in the mail from Hal Blaine a few weeks later. It contained a hand written letter, and this-

No photo description available.

It's a bell from the bell tree he used on all of the Beach Boys stuff. That's the kind of guy we just lost. RIP Hal.

On 3/12/2019 at 9:00 AM, Funky Chicken said:

..... got a package in the mail from Hal Blaine a few weeks later. It contained a hand written letter,.......

Ever notice how the really good ones are like that? Class act all the way.

RIP, Mr. Blaine.

On 3/12/2019 at 4:20 AM, kizanski said:

"Blaine appeared on such No. 1 hits as the Crystals’ “He’s a Rebel,” the Byrds’ “Mr. Tambourine Man,” Frank Sinatra’s “Strangers in the Night,” Simon & Garfunkel’s “Mrs. Robinson” and “Bridge Over Troubled Water,” the 5th Dimension’s “Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In,” the Carpenters’ “Close to You” and Barbra Streisand’s “The Way We Were.”"

Wasn't Karen Carpenter an accomplished drummer?

Yes: 

... but sometimes you get a more efficient recording session if some band members aren't splitting their attention between vocals and instruments.

Archived