Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Good Old Daze

18 hours ago, Stike said:

I was 4.

I don't think those cats would have carded ya, Stike.

Just imagine what crazy, groovy sparkly shit Stike would have created had he started doing psychedelics at 4...

Yeah, the music was great and so was a lot of other bits of pop-culture (though nostalgia may color my bias for a lot of it), but I'wasn't deluded such that I didnt know stupid behavior when I saw it. Then again, I actually thought bell-bottom pants were cool, so what did I know.

1974 was great-that was around the time I really started getting into music-the first time I heard  “Band on the Run” was a watershed moment for me.

Some more good ol’ Daze from the Rocketeria Festival...

A53F1D2B-F08A-4E2A-9AA9-EEA43E2E6BC7.jpeg

5BCED4A8-A20D-4292-9E48-2F2B64C427F9.jpeg

1974 I was 13 and got my 13 albums for a dollar from Columbia House including Grand Funk's We're An American Band and BTO Takin' Care of Business. It has been on ever since with others like Aerosmith, KISS, and y'all can add as you like in that vein, ever since then.

Yeah, I must have signed up with Columbia House for those "13 cassettes for a penny" (not a dollar) deals several times. After I'd buy my requisite quota of records, I'd cancel my subscription and then start all over. Music wasn't as "free" back then as the web makes it today, but it was frankly more exciting buying that new vinyl and bringing it home and popping it on the turntable while admiring the album art and accompanying ephemera. It's harder appreciating things that come too easy, the way music (and other media) is so easily accessible today. 

24 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

Did anyone ever get an automatic shipment they didn't want and then give it a spin, only to change their musical tastes forever? "I've been wrong all along about this Brill Building pop music bullshit. From here on out, it's Captain Beefheart for me!"

I actually ended up with Springsteen's Born in the USA and Bryan Adams' Into the Fire by forgetting to exercise the "negative option".  Ended up giving away the Springsteen album because you could hear most of the album on the radio or MTV for months after its release. Into the Fire was somewhat of a pleasant surprise:  lots of tasty guitar work and bluesy Strat tones throughout the album.

Beaumont, Texas:

On April 1st, 1979, our local radio station threw themselves an anniversary party at a drive-in theater. Bands played all day, then they showed movies after the sun went down.

I took these pictures from the stage - which was located on top of the projection booth building - in between bands. I don’t remember how we got our gear up to the roof, but I know it was pretty windy up there.

It wasn’t as big as Woodstock, obviously, but it had all the elements: shirtless dudes, girls in halter tops, tank tops, bell-bottom pants, mullets, headbands, tie-dye and a freakin’ Dodge van. I would venture to say epic levels of beer and pot were consumed by that crowd that day.

As well as other substances.
Spaced-out hippie chick, holding a large gumball: “Do you want to know the secret of the universe?”
Me: “Uh, okay.”
Hippie chick, wide-eyed, speaking very slowly, holding up the gumball for emphasis: “Everything is ROUND.”
Me: “Okay, thanks.”

By the way, in the second picture there’s a guy sitting on the ground wearing a black Crazy Horse Saloon t-shirt. His nickname was Tank and he would work the door for us sometimes when we played at the Crazy Horse. He’d park his rather substantial frame at a little table by the door with all the essentials: a small box to collect the money, two packs of Kools, an ash tray, his Bic lighter and a handle of Wild Turkey. (“Got everything I need!”) Nobody messed with Tank.

Showtown_1.jpgShowtown_2.jpgShowtown_3.jpg

Vans had shag carpet and wood paneling inside to make them look like a mini-living room.  It showed how little people were thinking about the big picture.  Why create a space that looked like home, but you could not stand up inside it?  Why not just redecorate the house by converting to bubble windows on shag carpet covered walls?  It would have been easier to walk around, and you could have a full sized TV and stereo. 

18 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Vans had shag carpet and wood paneling inside to make them look like a mini-living room.  It showed how little people were thinking about the big picture.  Why create a space that looked like home, but you could not stand up inside it?  Why not just redecorate the house by converting to bubble windows on shag carpet covered walls?  It would have been easier to walk around, and you could have a full sized TV and stereo. 

Because it wouldn't get you to the parties and gigs.

36 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

There was a guy back then that had the Saturday Night Fever logo painted on the side of his van. On the inside, he converted the floor into a lighted dance floor - which was pretty ridiculous considering you couldn't stand up inside (well, maybe if you were four feet tall). But everybody knew about it and considered it the coolest van in town. Ah, the 70s.

Archived