Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Charlotte, NC

Going to be in Charlotte, NC on 4/12 and 4/13.  Any cool guitar shops I should try to hit up?  Restaurant recommendations for Friday dinner and Saturday and Sunday breakfast or brunch?  Saturday during the day I think I'll be doing the Moos and Brews festival.

16 minutes ago, tommy p said:

Going to be in Charlotte, NC on 4/12 and 4/13.  Any cool guitar shops I should try to hit up?  Restaurant recommendations for Friday dinner and Saturday and Sunday breakfast or brunch?  Saturday during the day I think I'll be doing the Moos and Brews festival.

I rarely venture over to Charlotte these days, but I spent 81 Saturdays there during my last stab at grad school. For guitar shops, try Coleman Music. They always have some cool, unusual, and vintage gear. In fact, I think they still have a wraptail Studio in blonde in stock right now. It's a few miles northeast of the city, but worth the trip. Mullis Music is closer to Charlotte but off the beaten path and has a shitload of stuff crammed into a small space, but I'm not sure you'll find anything unique in there. Music 'N More is on the way to Coleman. It always struck me like a smaller version of GC in terms of what they stock. 

Restaurants? Jeez, there's a ton of good places to eat. I like Mimosa Grill and Tupelo Honey enough to eat at those joints every other time I'm in town. Also, when I'm taking the Metro downtown and the weather is nice, I jet southwest of the city center stop at Pike's for a burger and beer.

Have a nice trip. 

55 minutes ago, tommy p said:

http://www.priceschickencoop.com

Cash only.

I can offer a bed, bad coffee  or a clean rental Condo in transition of being sold. Not so much in the way of Guitar shops, sad to say. 

I'm eating breakfast at Eddies' Sunday. Jack C, are you in?

Yes to Price's. I worked 300 ft. from there in the '80s and '90s. Sweet Tea only. Sweet enough to cause kidney shutdown.

1 hour ago, Rockola said:

I can offer a bed, bad coffee  or a clean rental Condo in transition of being sold. Not so much in the way of Guitar shops, sad to say. 

Yes to Price's. I worked 300 ft. from there in the '80s and '90s. Sweet Tea only. Sweet enough to cause kidney shutdown.

I forgot to mention that Price's is take out only as well.

2 hours ago, Stike said:

That place has been around forever. 

My favorite B-day spot in my youth. (We're talking 007, Fonzie era here)

There's been so much re-gentrification there. This is a block or two from where I took a carb for rebuild. I took your money for any show at the Pterodactyl and worked furiously to replace fuses for Smithereens and Living Color...  Hard for this 50ish year old to command.

I'm sure it happens everywhere. Just Weird... 

48 minutes ago, Rockola said:

My favorite B-day spot in my youth. (We're talking 007, Fonzie era here)

There's been so much re-gentrification there. This is a block or two from where I took a carb for rebuild. I took your money for any show at the Pterodactyl and worked furiously to replace fuses for Smithereens and Living Color...  Hard for this 50ish year old to command.

I'm sure it happens everywhere. Just Weird... 

Last time I was there was with my grandmother in the very early 80s. My parents grew up in Statesville and my mom said the first time she ever had pizza was there in the early 60s.

On 3/15/2019 at 12:49 PM, Rockola said:

Sorry, man. I would have loved to meet up a Eddie’s. Maybe next week?

I've been wanting to plan a trip to Charlotte to visit friends that live there. I had tentatively planned to be there that same weekend, but it's looking like it might not happen now, for me. Perhaps I'll reconsider.

On my bucket list of Charlotte things to do is to go and see a show featuring the Hawthornes, which you will remember is coolfeel's band. I was communicating with him by PM in early February, and they had a show booked on Friday, April 12. There's been no communication between he and I since then, but you might want to look that up if you've got free time that night. I really like the Hawthorne's latest release.

On 3/18/2019 at 7:37 AM, BruceM said:

I've been wanting to plan a trip to Charlotte to visit friends that live there. I had tentatively planned to be there that same weekend, but it's looking like it might not happen now, for me. Perhaps I'll reconsider.

On my bucket list of Charlotte things to do is to go and see a show featuring the Hawthornes, which you will remember is coolfeel's band. I was communicating with him by PM in early February, and they had a show booked on Friday, April 12. There's been no communication between he and I since then, but you might want to look that up if you've got free time that night. I really like the Hawthorne's latest release.

Hey to BruceM - Charlotte rules apply.U have a room and coffee available. I'm not uber but can assist you or Tommy.

I have to compress previous PMs for more IMs but you have a place in CLT.

edit - will send my number on PM

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we're heading down tomorrow.  Looks like nasty weather for the 2.5 days we'll be there.  Hope we're able to stay dry and have some fun at the Moo and Brew Fest.  Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody!

On 3/24/2019 at 11:27 AM, Steve Haynie said:

If there is a gathering of HFC members I can possibly make a trip to Charlotte. 

I'm interviewing folks to fill a position in Charlotte, so will probably have to be there a lot for the next few months. My new home away from home... ugh. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Archived