Hamer Fan Club Message Center

It seems I have cleared out quite a few of the guitars I posted since the beginning of 2019. Let me try a couple more.

First, a 2010 Huber Orca. I guess it is no secret I am a big fan of Nik's work. I only wish I could keep them all. But I am not getting any younger.....

Here is my sales pitch.....

This is a 2010 Orca in the harder to find combination of a korina body and neck, with Indian Rosewood fingerboard and Orca inlays. The pickup configuration is a Haussell Vintage in the neck and 1959 in the bridge. They are "PAF" style pickups (among the best, IMO) with the bridge being a bit hotter. But both are still very much in the "vintage" realm.
The Orca clearly takes on the classic Les Paul formula. However, there are a couple changes....The scale is 25" and the body is slightly slimmer, resulting in a very comfortable weight of just over 8 pounds. It includes a hardshell case that is a replica of the type/look used by Gibson back in the 50s. Very classy, IMO.

Nik is at the top echelon of guitar builders today. Operating in Germany, he uses top quality materials and his work is flawless. Very few builders perform at his level. (With the recent receipt of the Shishkov DC custom, I will gladly affirm at least one other!) Nik's guitars play and sound as good as they look. This particular guitar has the "sweeter" response that korina provides relative to the more typical mahogany. Although the two woods are similar, the korina (to my ears) provides a bit better tone in the mid-range.

Note that there is a push/pull tone knob that splits both coils to create a very nice set of single coil tone options.

Here is a direct quote from Nik's website.....

A legend in and of itself, the Orca looks familiar to guitar players around the world by virtue of its shape. Paying tribute to the first solid body of this kind, the Orca brings a new twist to the traditional form with a slightly thinner body and a longer scale.
The classic combination of tonewoods and traditional method of construction make this guitar spring to life out of the fascinating merger between vintage values and modern-day quality.

Let me toss this out at an asking price of $3850, that including shipping and insurance (CONUS only, sorry). I dare say there are not going to be many, if ever any, in this price range for something in this shape. Please add payment fees, if necessary.

Huber Orca Korina.jpghuber orca korina 6.jpghuber orca korina 2.jpghuber orca korina 3.jpgIMG_2230.JPGIMG_2232.JPG

And, number two. Sort of in the same neighborhood. In some ways more "authentic" to the vintage Gibson feel with the slightly shorter scale. The 594 has a slightly asymmetric shape neck to fit the left hand very nicely. This is a "Wood Library" version, which means it was commissioned by a dealer for a short run to the dealer's specs. Which means more select than the basoc core line or "ten top". This is somewhat unusual for a PRS, as it has both a korina neck and body, but with an ebony board. The maple top is a more subtle but gorgeous quilt. I need to get a better picture,  probably, as these make it hard to tell for sure that it is a one piece top. And a fairly recent build (2017)

From my local listing....

A PRS Singlecut 594. This guitar was made to capture all the goodness of a vintage Les Paul, but without the usual shortcomings. It has a thick body for a fat tone and LT humbucking pickups for a great vintage sound with the ability to get that "Tele on Steroids" tone. AND, the pickups split beautifully (IMO). Further the use of FOUR knobs gives a bit more versatility, for those pining for the classic "Gibson" sort of controls. Unusual specs, with a korina body and neck, with ebony board. And a beautiful but understated one piece quilted maple top in a vintage color. With all the case candy and the extra heavy duty PRS case.

Let me add that this is NOT one of those lightweight pieces of korina. In fact, this guitar weighs nearly 10 pounds. As opposed to the Orca, which is just a bit over 8 pounds. So, if weight is an issue.....

Choosing between the two? I think they are both great. I am a fan of korina. One interesting thing is that the PRS, with the low turn pickups has a really nice clarity (I like that, as it is easy to ADD dirt, not so easy to remove it when the pickups have more output to start with). But that does not make it "weak". I suppose I attribute it, at least in part, to the thicker and heavier body. I am not sure if it is intuitive that it would be both more "clear" AND more "fat" at the same time. But that is how I would describe it. Not that the Huber is any slouch, y'unnerstan!

Asking $3300, to include shipping and insurance (CONUS only). Please add payment fees if necessary.

PRS 594SC-1.jpgPRS 594SC-4.jpgPRS 594SC.jpgPRS 594SC-3.jpgPRS 594SC-2.jpg

23 hours ago, kizanski said:

Why feet?  Why?

To emphasize that toes are some really nice guitars on offer, even if they aren't arch tops, and that either one will sound great through effects boxes such as phalangers.

Great marketing, in fact. Quite a feet.

Howzabout a few with less danger of contracting toe-maine poisoning? No Orcas or other sea life harmed in taking these pictures. Though a couple frogs did decide to jump outta the way.

IMG_2235.JPGIMG_2236.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Okay.....The Orca just walked out the door. The feet stayed behind.

Life is funny sometimes. The same guy inquired about one of my other guitars. He likes it too. Said he will be back  with forty Benjamins tomorrow to snag it. Maybe I should show him a doublecut as well......That PRS Hollowbody II has become even more superfluous with the recent arrival of Mike's #88.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps my head is spinning. The buyer of the Orca  (one of FIVE he bought LAST week) decided he liked one of my PRS Private Stocks even more, so he returned today with the Huber and a fistful of cash. Plus some indication that he has not yet finished buying. I guess we will see.

In the meantime, a delicious little korina Orca is now back up for your consideration.

Archived