Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Stop Listening to the Blues!

15 hours ago, BoogieMKIIA said:

Ain’t nuttin’ like a B3... or an M3 in this case

That's actually a C3 he's playing. Same tone generator and other guts as a B3 but fully enclosed base. That was the "church" model. Made that way so you couldn't look up the little old lady's dress while she was playing the organ in church.

Harder to move around and harder to chop, so they can usually be had for less money than a B3 because most people didn't know they were exactly the same thing other than the cabinet and pedals.

The M3 has shorter keyboards, I believe.  Yes, Jon Lord played a C3 in Deep Purple’s  heyday.  I’ve seen him playing a chopped-down Hammond on road-able folding legs in latter-day videos.

On 3/17/2019 at 5:47 PM, BoogieMKIIA said:

Ain’t nuttin’ like a B3... or an M3 in this case

Hammond C3, the church edition, which you can tell by the decorative trim. Also the B3 and C3 have a pair of 61-note (i.e., 5-octave) keyboards. The M3 is the "home version" with two 44-note (3-1/2 octave) keyboards.

I have a vintage M3 in my garage. My mom played a Hammond C3 at church for close to 20 years (from around 1955 to 1975).

2 hours ago, Rich_S said:

The M3 has shorter keyboards, I believe.  Yes, Jon Lord played a C3 in Deep Purple’s  heyday.  I’ve seen him playing a chopped-down Hammond on road-able folding legs in latter-day videos.

Yes. M3 has 44-note keyboards vs. 61-note for the C3 and B3 "big boy" consoles.

On 3/18/2019 at 11:35 PM, BoogieMKIIA said:

Refreshed my memory. The M3 has a built in amp and speaker, less draw bars.  Did Jim Lord of Deep Purple have a C3?

18 hours ago, Rich_S said:

A Hammond M3 was reportedly used in the studio by Booker T. Jones to record 'Green Onions':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Onions

I think the organ used live on this 1967 video was some other type/brand...but dig that backline of Marshalls!

Tom Scholtz also supposedly used a Hammond M3 when he recorded the first Boston album in his basement studio:

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/boston-is-back-tom-scholz-talks-tone

On 3/17/2019 at 11:13 AM, Ting Ho Dung said:

For a change of pace. You guys don't know this but I started out playing a Kimball organ in the 2nd grade. Always wanted a Hammond. 

Started on piano myself... some time in grade school.

I've got an M100 - which is basically a budget M3. My old roommate drug it home at one point, and didn't take it with him when he left... Kinda cool... I fire it up about once a year and remind myself of how rusty I am on the keys, pull it out from the wall, give it some oil and shut it down again...

Remember kids... a well lubed organ is a happy organ. Have you oiled your organ lately?

spacer.png

Archived