Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NUAD: Big and Heavy: Mesa Dual Rectifier Trem-O-Verb 2x12 Combo

On 3/20/2019 at 5:18 PM, tbonesullivan said:

I don't think Mesa makes a light ANYTHING. This one is from when they were putting ceramic tube sockets in everything, which added to the weight. Of course this means the contacts can get loose in the socket, so sometimes you need to push them back in, never a fun thing. I pulled the chassis and bent over that one contact so it wouldn't slip out again.

100 watt combos are never light, but at least I get some nice exercise.

I can think of Subway WD 800.  I have been gigging one of those for few years and its light as a feather but packs a punch.

I might know when I’m on the lead channel, but after enough times that I couldn’t  find my foot switch on a dark stage to switch back, I fixed the problem.  Version 2 of my tremoverb footswitch for the channels has a dpdt switch with dual color led and a 9 volt and resistor to power it .  It’s red on the lead channel and green on the rhythm.  I only have to replace the 9 volt every couple years.    Just have to remember to make sure it’s not lit up while the amp is off.  

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got around to switching the tubes out to some nice 6L6 tubes, which seems to have allowed the high end to shine a lot more.  It's a GREAT rock and hard rock amplifier. I know that many people only see the "rectifier" series as heavy metal beasts, but they really are quite versatile. The reverb is VERY nice. The tremolo is ok. It takes some getting used to, as it is a lot more subtle than a lot of the tremolo effects out there.

With the "spongy" control reducing the voltage, as well as the tube rectifiers, a really smooth sound is pretty easy to get. I also put an amperex preamp tube in V2, and an EHX in V1, and put the stock Beijing China tubes back in V3 and V4.

Nice.  Do mind if I ask which 6l6 you used?  I was thinking of going back to 6l6. Especially since I’m doing lots of clean and very low gain stuff lately. I rarelt use mine for metal at all either.  Well sometimes I get the need to put on the red channel and chugga chugga.  🤘😝

9 hours ago, Ua D said:

Nice.  Do mind if I ask which 6l6 you used?  I was thinking of going back to 6l6. Especially since I’m doing lots of clean and very low gain stuff lately. I rarelt use mine for metal at all either.  Well sometimes I get the need to put on the red channel and chugga chugga.  🤘😝

I went with the Mesa Boogie 6L6 STR 440s. You can also find them sold under the Ruby 6L6GCMSTR name. They are chinese made, and they are the standard stock tubes for mesa boogies.    I think if you go grooves tubes, you want tubes rated from 4 to 6.

Most tube dealers should be able to select you tubes that will bias correctly in a mesa boogie.

7 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

I went with the Mesa Boogie 6L6 STR 440s. You can also find them sold under the Ruby 6L6GCMSTR name. They are chinese made, and they are the standard stock tubes for mesa boogies.    I think if you go grooves tubes, you want tubes rated from 4 to 6.

Most tube dealers should be able to select you tubes that will bias correctly in a mesa boogie.

Thanks.   I was thinking of just getting the Mesa branded tubes for ease of use.  I’m planning on going back to using their spax7 and preamp tubes also.  These amps are noisy enough already.  I feel the JJ’s I’ve gotten the past couple of times are noisy.  I remember when I first got my combo it was nice and quiet (relative term) compared to how it seems the past few years.  

5 hours ago, Ua D said:

Thanks.   I was thinking of just getting the Mesa branded tubes for ease of use.  I’m planning on going back to using their spax7 and preamp tubes also.  These amps are noisy enough already.  I feel the JJ’s I’ve gotten the past couple of times are noisy.  I remember when I first got my combo it was nice and quiet (relative term) compared to how it seems the past few years.  

I have not had good luck with JJ power tubes as of late. At least not the un-branded ones. They sometimes just start making tones of static noise, and then you need to figure out which tube it is, and replace just that one. It's kind of a PITA. There are however a lot of good choices if you have a good dealer who knows how to select the right tubes. Doug's Tubes, The Tube Store, etc should all be able to get you some nice power tubes that will bias correctly. You could also look at Groove Tubes,  but those are MORE expensive than the Mesa tubes, for the same tubes.  The Tung-Sol Reissue 6l6GC tubes look nice, as do the newer offerings from China.

The preamp tubes from Mesa are currently ALL JJ tubes, even the SPAX7 ones. Originally for the Tremoverb, they were all MESA 7025 STR tubes, which are Beijing China tubes, which are no longer in production. Honestly, the mesa preamp tubes are way overpriced for what they are: JJ ECC83S tubes.

This is what I have in my Combo Right now:

V1(Input state and Reverb driver): MESA 12AX7-A Russian 2 (rebranded Electro Harmonix)

V2(2nd and 3rd Gain Stages): Amperex Holland Silvertone ANOS

V3(4th gain stage and Buffer Cathode Follower): MESA 7025 STR Beijing China

V4(Effects Loop Driver with Cathode Follower): MESA 7025 STR Beijing China

V5(Reverb Driver): EHX 12AX7

V6(Phase Inverter): Sovtek 12AX7LPS

I like the Sovtek 12AX7LPS for phase inverters. It's got a nice sound, and in the phase inverter slot, you can get away with the long plates.  If I didn't have any Mesa branded tubes for the preamp, I probably would have gone with a Tung-Sol reissue in V1, and then a mix of Ruby 7025 Tubes, which are Chinese 9th Gen 12AX7 tubes. V3 and V4 are somewhat special, as they have Cathode Followers in them, which do not work well with any of the Russian made tubes with Spiral Filaments. I would use Chinese or JJ tubes in those slots.

Spiral Filament tube list: Electro Harmonix 12AX7, Tung Sol Reissue, Mullard Reissue, Sovtek 12AX7 LPS.

He's got some good preamp choices. He'll probably recommend a mixture of tung sol and Ruby preamp tubes.  I would go with a Tung Sol in V1, and Ruby 12AX7AC5s in the rest.

V4 and V5 are only really for effects loop and reverb, so if those are working fine, it's not really worth it to replace those. They don't get nearly the workout that the other preamp tubes do.

Congrats!  I loved the Trem-O-Verbs I got to try in music stores back in the day.  Never owned one, but I really dug the ones I played. 

Archived