Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Allen Amps

I'm looking at an Allen built Old Flame Head w/ 2x12 cab. Seems to be positive from what I've seen and heard. 

Just curious if anyone has any experience with Allen Amps? 

I really like my Allen-built Classic 10. My brother built a Sweet Spot and a Chihuahua. The Sweet Spot is especially, errr, sweet. Good stuff for sure. 

33 minutes ago, cynic said:

Do you know if it's a legit DA build or one of his kits?  

It is for certain a DA build with serial and signature. 

Any relation to Allen Organs?

Well, I guess not. Allen amps are made in Walton KY, a small town of just under 4K residents. It's home to jockey Steve Cauthen, who won the Triple Crown in 1978.

Walton is less than an hour drive from where I grew up in a Cincinnati suburb.

Allen Organs' headquarters are in Macungie, Pennsylvania. Besides their organs, they do make killer amps and speakers, but mostly for classical music applications.

He serviced a Vibro Champ for me many years ago.  He was easy to deal with and did good work.  He wanted to add something he calls a RAW control, which I declined, even though I wanted more oomph out of the amp.  He has for sale a Fender DR silver face that he serviced. I would trust his work. He definitely is a tinkerer.

• 2 weeks later...

I went for it. Sold a Dr. Z Therapy for it. Will be delivered Tuesday. 

NAD post when it does :) 

On 3/21/2019 at 8:12 PM, Pieman said:

He serviced a Vibro Champ for me many years ago.  He was easy to deal with and did good work.  He wanted to add something he calls a RAW control, which I declined, even though I wanted more oomph out of the amp.  He has for sale a Fender DR silver face that he serviced. I would trust his work. He definitely is a tinkerer.

“RAW" control brings up the mids scooped by the tone stack while providing a substantial gain increase.

I imagine that’ll come in handy :) 

I was looking at the Allen Sweet Spot amp. I ended up buying a Reverend Goblin 5/15 watt 1x10 tube combo amp and later a Reverend Kingsnake 20/60 watt 1x12 combo amp (one of my main gigging amps). I think the Allen amps are the next step forward in the blackface/tweed/blonde Fender type amps with some nice modern features that sound good and are useful in the real world scenarios.

Guitar George

15 hours ago, Sugartune said:

I went for it. Sold a Dr. Z Therapy for it. Will be delivered Tuesday. 

NAD post when it does :) 

Congrats! Waiting sucks.

"NAD"(s). 😂

4 hours ago, DaveH said:

Congrats! Waiting sucks.

"NAD"(s). 😂

I’ll have only one NAD to share. The others I keep, mostly to myself. 

Not a terrible wait. It was a Kijiji deal yesterday and he’s delivering right to my work. 

Archived