Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Earplug Advice?

hamerhead

Question

Last night was the first time ever wearing earplugs to a rehearsal. They were the 3M re-usable rubber kind, which is basically like sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling 'What?' a lot. They helped with the volume quite a bit, but I couldn't tell what anything sounded like - no detail, blanket-over-everything mush pretty much.

I'm going for a hearing test in a month or so but in the meantime would like to find a pair that maintains the actual sound, just lowered a few notches.

Got anything?

(I searched the HFC because I thought we'd done this before, but came up empty)

12 answers to this question

I just got a set of Eargasm plugs - I had them at a rehearsal a couple of weeks ago, and they helped knock down the higher frequency pain associated with standing next to a loud snare/cymbal.  I didn't have the fuzzy, hissing sound in my ears on the drive home.

Had them at the 9:30 Club on Saturday night for Teenage Fanclub, and although they've really got the sound dialed in well there, I brought them along.  They did better than the Hearos and a few other brands I've tried over the years, but there was a little loss of the high-end "shimmer".  I pulled them out slightly, and it sounded better, but I don't know if that defeated the purpose or not.

9 hours ago, PFunk said:

I had my audiologist make some impressions and the resulting the fitted earpieces accept filters of  -5, -10, -15 db and so on. Good luck with the hearing test.

I did this too.  I've had mine for over 10 years so the $100 they cost was well worth it.  I'm about to get some new ones because the ones I have have lost their "rubberyness" over the years and I'm sure my ear shape must have changed at least a little.

I've had my ears fitted for custom earplugs twice and fit them with ER-15 filters.  It sounds pretty damn good except they buff the highs just a tiny bit.  I believe my audiologist sent my molds to place called westlab. I would recommend it.

On 3/22/2019 at 5:19 PM, cmatthes said:

I didn't have the fuzzy, hissing sound in my ears on the drive home.

I guess it's too late if you have that going on 24/7/365?

On 3/26/2019 at 11:23 AM, kizanski said:

I guess it's too late if you have that going on 24/7/365?

It’s never too late. Your ears will still whistle but less so. Trust me, I have tinnitus all the time and not wearing the plugs makes it massively bad.

2 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

It’s never too late. Your ears will still whistle but less so. Trust me, I have tinnitus all the time and not wearing the plugs makes it massively bad.

No, I think it's too late.
When your ENT prescribes hearing aids, and not ear plugs, it's too late.

Archived