Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gear too precious to use?

stobro

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LucSulla said:

Plus, if you’re gigging, guitars with character are part of the show.  Whether it’s a 10k custom shop guitar, a beat up MIJ strat that clearly has stories to tell, or a guitar shaped like the Miller logo, it’s all part of the show too.

I suspect that there's a lot of MIJ Fenders out there that look beat up, and not only because they play or sound good or get used a lot...many of those sold in the US in the '80's and early '90's, especially the RI models, came with basswood bodies.  I don't like basswood mainly because it dents easily.

2 hours ago, pirateflynn said:

@rugby1970 Thanks! Yeah, it is an incredible looking guitar.

@Marvelicious @RobB The top is Sycamore, which Ron described as European Maple. Below is the spec. sheet. 

JCf7mCk.jpg

Cannot help but recall the wood we got from the sycamore trees in our front yard way back when we lived in Loz Feliz. Not too terribly far from Ron's shop. I only WISH it had been anything like that! Just perfection.

18 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

That's a pretty special piece of sycamore! 

Thanks! And to all else who commented. But like the title says, it was a bit too precious for me to play and not be concerned. I tend to gravitate to cool looking guitars but less 'fancy' these days. 

I love all of my guitars and play them whenever I can regardless of cost or value. Sure I‘m not a stage player, but you can collect dings and dongs everywhere.

I use most of my stuff. Rehearsed with a 4-digit Standard yesteray. Planning to use it at an out door festival gig in May (if the weather is okay).

I am not bringing out my old Electro Harmonix Zipper envelope filter, other than if it's for studio use. It's so fragile, and it's a tone sucker too, so I don't want to use it at gigs or rehersals.
My first version 1970s Electro Harmonix Qstone is also retired from the pedal board. Sounds great, but noisy and fragile. 

Archived