Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: WTF A New Gibson that is actually good?

Man walks into a GC and sees a Westerly Guild Blues Bird, a Hamer Studio Custom and a Les Paul Special all close in price. Which one did he buy?

Just at or under 8LBS, Nitro, Rosewood, Mahogany, P90's and enough dings on a brand new guitar to warrant them knocking $250 off. SOLD! 

You guys know me by now, I never buy new guitars let alone a new Gibson. These are $999.99 at GC right now and IMHO worth every penny. I was just buying time when I sat down and played it and WHAM it hooked me. I have no plans to change a thing, pickups or anything. Not even a pot, I was completely sold just by playing it. 

Amp PSA: A few weeks ago I bought a used 1996 Crate Vintage Club 20, black with a 12" Speaker and after a fresh set of tubes its killer! Compared to a 1996 Blues Jr, its kills it. Compared to a Brand new blues jr with a Hemp Speaker, its more British sounding than the American Sounding Blues JR.

IMG_9661.JPG

That is not a faded series,  dull, flat finish btw. I quickly got it home loosened the strings and oiled the board down. Headed down now to give it a quick second coat, it was DRRRYYY. Its nice and dark now. 

Sweet score.

Played one of these the other day at GC.  Would have bought it if I hadn’t just bought a 25th anniversary artist.  Best new Gibson I’ve picked up in years.  Just a sweet simple guitar despite the massive pickguard   

BF026A25-330F-43C0-ABED-A905E7F98BF5.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Ua D said:

Sweet score.

Played one of these the other day at GC.  Would have bought it if I hadn’t just bought a 25th anniversary artist.  Best new Gibson I’ve picked up in years.  Just a sweet simple guitar despite the massive pickguard   

Interesting...is it just me, or does that pickguard look a lot like it came from a '70's Marauder?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Marauder

3 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Man walks into a GC and sees a Westerly Guild Blues Bird, a Hamer Studio Custom and a Les Paul Special all close in price. Which one did he buy?

Just at or under 8LBS, Nitro, Rosewood, Mahogany, P90's and enough dings on a brand new guitar to warrant them knocking $250 off. SOLD! 

You guys know me by now, I never buy new guitars let alone a new Gibson. These are $999.99 at GC right now and IMHO worth every penny. I was just buying time when I sat down and played it and WHAM it hooked me. I have no plans to change a thing, pickups or anything. Not even a pot, I was completely sold just by playing it. 

Amp PSA: A few weeks ago I bought a used 1996 Crate Vintage Club 20, black with a 12" Speaker and after a fresh set of tubes its killer! Compared to a 1996 Blues Jr, its kills it. Compared to a Brand new blues jr with a Hemp Speaker, its more British sounding than the American Sounding Blues JR.

IMG_9661.JPG

What’s the neck like on those things?

how does it compare to a junior (other than having a neck pickup...). I’ve heard that the neck pickup changes resonance and sustain due to taking wood out next to the neck. Factoid or tone snobbery myth...?

14 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

IMG_9661.JPG

I think I had one of those a few years ago. Is it a Tribute?

44 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

I think I had one of those a few years ago. Is it a Tribute?

No Tribute series here, this is a 2019 Les Paul Special. @Travis brother this thing has a nice full neck. I"m guessing more 59 than 60, but not as big as my 58. It tripped every trigger, and I found it better than all the 90's Specials that I played. It is about a pound lighter than my junior was. As I was walking out I noticed they had another one, but I played one while back and didn't think much about it, this one is perfect for me. 

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/Les-Paul-Special-P-90-Limited-Edition-Electric-Guitar.gc

52 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

No Tribute series here, this is a 2019 Les Paul Special. @Travis brother this thing has a nice full neck. I"m guessing more 59 than 60, but not as big as my 58. It tripped every trigger, and I found it better than all the 90's Specials that I played. It is about a pound lighter than my junior was. As I was walking out I noticed they had another one, but I played one while back and didn't think much about it, this one is perfect for me. 

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/Les-Paul-Special-P-90-Limited-Edition-Electric-Guitar.gc

So, sounds like the new specials can be a great find if you come across a good one. Maybe hesitate buying one sight unseen but don’t be afraid to try a couple out, just might be pleasantly surprised?

Seems like at this price point they’d be a perfect guitar to take on the road and not worry about beating up your more valuable guitars. 

How’s the fretwork and finish on your special? 

@Travis, Finish work is great, since this one was dropped, I can see that the finish is super thin. Fretwork is spot on, but since GC Does not humidify the board was dry and I had to put two coats of oil on it. Action is super low and played clean. 

34 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

@Travis, Finish work is great, since this one was dropped, I can see that the finish is super thin. Fretwork is spot on, but since GC Does not humidify the board was dry and I had to put two coats of oil on it. Action is super low and played clean. 

Sounds awesome. I’ll have to check one out. 

Otherwise, I’ll just call dibs on yours. 😜

Very nice. I’ve got my “vintage” ;) ‘92 that gets the bulk of my time. I really love that finish. Enjoy the hell out of it....as you know, Josh makes very sweet pickups. His P90s are killer....

17 hours ago, Sugartune said:

Very nice. I’ve got my “vintage” ;) ‘92 that gets the bulk of my time. I really love that finish. Enjoy the hell out of it....as you know, Josh makes very sweet pickups. His P90s are killer....

When I bought my 58 Reissue, I was waiting for them to change a the strings on it and I picked up a 91/92 Les Paul Special that was all worn out. It was divine and I had to make a decision to leave it behind and I regretted it. I'm just a P90 Guy at heart, I think they are the perfect pickup. 

Somebody refresh my memory about what a Gibson "Tribute" instrument is. I know what G & L's "Tribute" concept entails but may have overlooked the details about Gibson's instruments that have the same moniker...not that I was interested in the first place..Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

Somebody refresh my memory about what a Gibson "Tribute" instrument is. I know what G & L's "Tribute" concept entails but may have overlooked the details about Gibson's instruments that have the same moniker...not that I was interested in the first place..Thanks in advance.

USA Made, satin finishes. https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/USABDE792/Les-Paul-Studio-Tribute-2019

This is NOT one of those. I have put my hands on a lot of guitars, this one pushed all the buttons and it sounds fantastic. 

Oh, if anyone buys one, try not to get one that has been hanging on the top rack in the winter at GC. I feel bad for Fender and Gibson when someone picks up a guitar in winter at GC. 

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:34 PM, Ua D said:

Sweet score.

The big pickguard and top mount controls make me want to projectile vomit on those guitars. Gibson you know the recipe !! don't F^*K it up!!!

2 hours ago, bruce919 said:

The big pickguard and top mount controls make me want to projectile vomit on those guitars. Gibson you know the recipe !! don't F^*K it up!!!

You know thats cost cutting for ease of assembly to hit a price point. I do agree, its not pretty. ;) 

On 3/25/2019 at 6:36 PM, bubs_42 said:

You know thats cost cutting for ease of assembly to hit a price point. I do agree, its not pretty. ;) 

I agree it's for cost cutting, but I think they actually did a decent job with it.  I don't HATE it.  I must admit I have some experience with Gibsons and front loaded electronics and controls.  One of these bad boys was my first electric guitar:

gibson-sonex-180-custom-179449.jpg

Nice buy 'Bubs.  I've always like the Specials, especially with P90's and a wrapper.  Simplicity at its finest!  Couldn't find one I could afford so I bought a semi-lookalike :2015 Godin Core CT for A LOT LESS!

Godin#4.jpg

6 hours ago, bondedbybrick said:

Nice buy 'Bubs.  I've always like the Specials, especially with P90's and a wrapper.  Simplicity at its finest!  Couldn't find one I could afford so I bought a semi-lookalike :2015 Godin Core CT for A LOT LESS!

Godin#4.jpg

What’s the neck like on those things?

Neck isn’t baseball-bat thick and it isn’t what I would call skinny; although it is bigger than my old ‘78 Hamer Sunburst.  Super comfy, nice string spacing for my fat old fingers!  Prob ably like a Gibson 60’s neck profile.

Archived