Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: WTF A New Gibson that is actually good?

2 hours ago, bondedbybrick said:

Neck isn’t baseball-bat thick and it isn’t what I would call skinny; although it is bigger than my old ‘78 Hamer Sunburst.  Super comfy, nice string spacing for my fat old fingers!  Prob ably like a Gibson 60’s neck profile.

@Travis Round 60's, nice comfortable necks. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think those Les Paul special's are cool...  would be killer if they could make em like that

with the wrap tail in pelham blue gloss... 

here's my les paul classic player that are on closeout at GC, Musician's friend,    I normally don't like les paul's

in Ed Roman style tropical colors, but thought this looked pretty cool... top is kind of mild, but has a cool wide

pattern and mineral streaks...   richlite board, but for the price, it's fine...   

i-nNhW3Q2-M.jpg 

4 hours ago, hamerhead said:

Hey  - give him credit. He didn't take it to his luthier.

And yes, Shawn -  you DO have issues.

I don't think anybody here can point fingers at anybody but themselves. I know I have issues, sit down, shut up and just enjoy the ride. 

I would have liked the Firebird Elite, as I really like the Firebird design. But that guitar is already history. Somehow I never bonded with the classic Les Paul design. I like the double cutaway design though. That's what originally made me aware of Hamer guitars seeing the sunburst in the ads. There also was a Les Paul double cutaway in their XPL series which I also liked. The Hamer Steve Stevens is my kind of Gibson style guitar (along with the Hamer FB Firebird), and it is the design I wished Gibson would have come up with, double cutaway with body contours, 6L headstock, tremolo, one volume, one tone, maple neck. The Les Paul junior tribute DC I'd love to mod that. Body contours, Schaller vintage 3801 tremolo, gold hardware, Schaller grandtune keys, 3 mini humbuckers, 5-way-rotary switch. That would be to my liking, but then, I could play as well my Steve Stevens which is like I want it. Maybe I should admit to myself that I am not a Gibson player in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...

Its back from the spa, I had dropped by Josh's Guitar Shop last week to pickup some strings and he had mention it was in the Humidity Room for the last 8 Day. GC in the winter time is a brutal mother, and the board was very dry when I go it. I had oiled it, Josh put it to the humidity to get it all settled in for the IL Summer and dusted the frets for extra measure. He even dowel the strap button because he figured it needed to be done since it had been dropped at GC. I got it home, chamfered the dowel, inserted my washer made from the old strap button and placed the new strap button on top of it. Looks great and I don't have to worry about dinging it. Actually I think the drop Rung this guitar like ringing a Gun Stock, no stress left in the guitar and it sounds great. 

When I plugged it in, I freaked for a moment because it did not sound like it did when I brought it home. Lucky me I took some measurements of the pickup placement and durning setup the pickups were raised. I dropped the neck pup a two full turns (no more mud, increase in definition), bridge pup down one turn (added brightness and clarity). Its good to go and sounds damn good. Totally NOT disappointed in this purchase. The pots are really good, the pups are really good, nitro finish is thin and the neck is a perfect full round profile. I love the way the pick guard looks with the plastic kind of streaking on it. I have not been able to find a pick guard that give me that kind of look, but that will be the only thing that changes is the guard. 

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:33 PM, DaveL said:

I think those Les Paul special's are cool...  would be killer if they could make em like that

with the wrap tail in pelham blue gloss... 

here's my les paul classic player that are on closeout at GC, Musician's friend,    I normally don't like les paul's

in Ed Roman style tropical colors, but thought this looked pretty cool... top is kind of mild, but has a cool wide

pattern and mineral streaks...   richlite board, but for the price, it's fine...   

i-nNhW3Q2-M.jpg 

That's bad assed and I think the richlite board is a good thing though I understand I am probably in the minority on that one.

My recent SG in Pelham blue is quite nice. They can make a good guitar if they try, though  don't doubt that "less attractive" wood is hiding under the blue finish.

25 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

My recent SG in Pelham blue is quite nice. They can make a good guitar if they try, though  don't doubt that "less attractive" wood is hiding under the blue finish.

Did you get one of the Faded Pelham Blue Specials? 

6 hours ago, HAMERMAN said:

That's bad assed and I think the richlite board is a good thing though I understand I am probably in the minority on that one.

I'm with you on the Richlite. I've played guitars with it and thought it was indistinguishable. That said, Brazillian RW all the way or die! ;)

I just traded a Tele last week for an '18 SG Standard ('61 style) and I'm really liking it a lot! It's actually the first SG I've liked. QC is excellent. The only small issue is a light bleed of the cherry finish onto the neck binding near the join to the body. Really minor. I would say this one is also actually good and even great! 

20 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Did you get one of the Faded Pelham Blue Specials? 

I got one of the AMS exclusive Pelham Blue SG Standards. The 2017 version, though it was technically made in 2018.

It was a "blem" scratch N dent, so I got a bit off. I have two possibilities for the blem, and both are utterly minor.  Now if only TKL still made cases as good as they used to. The new case is nice but definitely feels kinda flimsy compared to others I've had.

Archived