Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Is this guitar worth 10K?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

New, that would have run probably around $1400 in 2004. It's got the Piezo option with active electronics, but otherwise it's a standard DC400 with a flamed maple top. There is nothing that makes that guitar remotely special. You can't build one today because they got rid of the active and piezo electronics options on the DC series guitars some years back.

Damn they must be smoking a lot.

I looked over this guy's Ebay listings, and it seems to me like he's one of those high priced collectors who doesn't care whether he sells anything right away or not...he's also got old Baseball cards, toy train stuff, and old US coins and currency for sale.  After looking over his stuff, I'm pretty sure now that he sets his prices and aims his sales pitch for the Palm Springs well-to-do clientele level, not towards Average Joe Guitarist.

19 hours ago, HAMERMAN said:

In this case not touched makes me just think it's not a good player...

Well, that was the complaint about Carvin for years.  They looked immaculate and had low action, but the guitars had no life.  Someone told me that in 1982, and it was said by others over the years.  When there was an opportunity to try one out it was easy to understand what those people had told me. 

Now that the guitars are being made under the Keisel name there might be a different direction.  If someone has tried one of the guitars from the past few years their experience might be much more positive.  It would be nice to try a few out to see for myself if they are better now. 

7 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

It would be nice to try a few out to see for myself if they are better now. 

First I would have to see one which I would want to touch.

I’ve got a parts mutt I slapped together from an old carvin bolt body, carvin neck and bridge and a single Duncan custom shop humbucker. It’s actually a hell of a player for a sub $300 guitar.

Of all the complaints I’ve heard about carvin’s neck thru and set neck guitars, mostly that they are “lifeless” with “dead necks” I’ve heard positive things about the bolt on guitars. 

I was at carvin’s shop in San Diego years ago when my brother lived there so I got a chance to try out a few different guitars they had in stock. I was left mostly unimpressed, especially compared to my USA Hamers. 

That being said, if I ever decide to slap together another beater guitar I wouldn’t be afraid to use a carvin bolt on neck, purchased used for $100 or less, of course...

Maybe this helps....

Q    "Cool guitar! How do you know it is worth $10,000?"

A   "I traded two $5,000 cats for it---I am invested!"

3 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

Maybe they could make you one that resembles your peepee. 

Then it would look immaculate AND have plenty of life!

2 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

He wishes it was 2.5 fingers long, so does his boyfriend!

You seem to fantasize a lot about my crank and my sexual leanings.  You can come out of the closet, Spidey.  You're among friends.  You don't have to hint around.  

On 3/24/2019 at 6:41 PM, Jake8773 said:

I really must be doing life all wrong! I am going to try and list a roll of Scott Tissue "UNTOUCHED" for $600 Bucks!!!

I mean, who wants TP that has been touched anyway?

Brad (The Guitarologist) on YouTube did a Shitpost Friday posting that in part covered people trying to sell stupid guitar stuff for stupid prices. The prize entry was someone selling a small piece of what looked like masking tape peeled off of, if I remember correctly, a 1960's Fender pickup. I don't recall the price, but remember it was enough to make me saucer-eyed.

There really should be a social media channel dedicated to sharing these gems.

The ad copy puffery reads much like a tweet or impromptu speech by the Donald (before or during his time as POTUS):

"PRISTINE SUPERB MINT"

"EXQUISITE MAGNIFICENT MASTERPIECE"

"BEST COLOR EVER AVAILABLE"

"THIS IS IT"

"YOU WON'T FIND AN ORIGINAL LIKE THIS ONE ANYWHERE"

"SUPERB PRISTINE MINT"

"ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESS"

The only thing missing is a video of three dudes with gelatinized hair and wearing cheap suits shouting, "PARLAY OF THE YEAR!!!"

Archived