Hamer Fan Club Message Center

EMG pick up upgrade question for B12L

WreckedBig

Question

Greetings to my fellow Hamer Fan Club crew,

The question is:

I have a 1993 Hamer B12L.  I don't care for the harsh high end of the factory installed EMG 35 DC's.

I want to upgrade them to EMG 35CS soapbars which according to the description "tame" the high end frequencies and smooth out the top end giving more warmth and punch.  See link:

http://www.emgpickups.com/bass/extended-series/4-string/35cs.html

In order to do this, will I simply need to buy two pick up sets?  Each pick up comes with a volume pot and a tone pot.  

The B12L has a bass pot, treble pot, pan pot and volume.  

Can I just hardwire the PAN pot into the new kit, or do I need an extra component(s)?

Also, will these pickups work with the Active tone circuit in the bass?  

At the end of the day, I'm just looking for some advice on how to do the swap out and what components I need.

Thanks to any experienced chap who can help me clear the confusion.

WB

3 answers to this question

My experience is active pups are not compatible with passive pickups in the same guitar. All active or all passive.  Each requires different pots and the actives require juice from 9 to 18 volts. Been a while since I’ve installed active pups so that may be old school.

On 4/1/2019 at 5:08 AM, tomteriffic said:

In this case, since you're going from and to EMG, no additional circuitry swap should be necessary.  You can simply wire the new pickups in exactly the way the old ones were.  Save the pots, etc. for some place down the road.

Sounds like good advice. But as a bass pickup newbie, I have to ask--what about going from EMG to Bartolini hum-canceling soapbars?

Archived