Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Special-No Love

DeVai

As the owner of 3 specials I need you guys to help clarify something for me. Why is it that the specials get so little love ? The reason I say this is from looking at the prices people are willing to pay for a same era Sunburst.Most reviewers say the Sunbursts are the best guitars Hamer ever made.The lowly Special rarely gets a mention. Adding to my dismay is the fact that the special is the same exact guitar only without binding.Please chime in !

Specials rule!

I've owned more Specials than any other model and currently have three as well - the '81 I got in '87, a 2003 Sustain Block FM (C/O) and an '05 Sustain Block Junior (C/O).  While I like the look of binding, I prefer the feel without. Sunbursts look great, Specials feel great. Getting them at half the money is just the icing on the cake.

Look through the threads here at the HFC and the Special is loved a lot. 

The Sunburst came out first, and those early ones are sought after because they were early.  People swear that the 1979 was the best year for the Sunburst.  Some of the early Special had skinny necks that some people do not like, but necks varied from one year to another.  Specials with sustain blocks can be wonderful.  The 90s Specials were great. 

They are getting a lot of love alright! Cheap love that is, cheap and nasty 350 $ love.

The early 90's Specials are Hamer's best kept secret and I'd say (forum members may argue) that they are the best bang for the buck Hamer's out there today.

I have 2 1993 Special’s. One w Minibuckers that just rips thru a mix the other w buckers set up for slide. They probly get played out more than any of my other Hamers. Mostly because they cost less. They’re not pretty but they can rock w the best!! Neither have a super skinny neck. Med C is more how I’d descibe them.

2 hours ago, scottcald said:

I have one special with P90s and it's awesome.  They are simple and very versatile.  Super cool.  I'd love one with buckers as well.  

For all practical purposes a Special FM is pretty much that; a Special with HBs, with the added bonus of a not-too-thick figured maple top (but not nearly as thin as a '80's Special) for that added zing and brightness.

I had a ‘95 special FM in Aztec gold that was a beast. Amazing flame on it, really shouldn’t have gotten rid of it. Should probably get another one some time. 

Also had a mid 90’s special HB in all mahogany that I turned around way too soon to really give it a chance. 

I’m thinking a P90 special is somewhere in my future...

7 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

Specials are awesome! Used to see them for sale a lot more regularly, both P90 and FM specials.

Yes, It was easy to find one. And a great prices. Now people are holding on to them it seems. You can still score an early 90s P90 Special for under 1000 bucks. But Special FM's are harder to find, and the prices has gone way up. 

I think that both models have a strong fanbase, although Sunbursts seems to command a higher perch.  I find them to be analogous to the Tri-Five Chevys, but in reverse chronological order. The '57 is the most iconic member of the Tri-Five models, with its tall fins, two-tone paint finishes, and copious amounts of gleaming chrome. It's what people think of when you say, "classic Chevy". Such is the Sunburst when you're talking about classic early Hamer production models. The '55 Chevy, on the other hand, is far less ornamented than the '57, although it retains the same basic shape, general look, and mechanical configuration. This is analogous to the Special, which has the Sunburst's body shape, bridge, headstock, and H-H pickup configuration, but sports (almost always) an unbound body, unbound neck, and simple dot inlays.

For the record, I like them all, but I prefer the Special and the '55 Chevy. 

9 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Well then, I like my Sunburst and the '57 Chevy. 

I'm with Steve.  Love them both, but I still have a preference.

I had a 1957 Chevrolet Bel Aire two door hard top.  I can still remember the serial number.  I sold it when I was spending money on recording gear and building materials to create a studio.  Inside rust was popping out a the bottom of a quarter panel again, and a friend wanted the car.  Instead of watching the car go bad, my friend bought the car, and let his son take care of the body work.  That car is still on the road thirty years later.  He also got my parts car, a 1957 Chevrolet 210 with the original engine and power steering, too. 

31 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

GDSCN5764_zpsbvrmoeuq.jpg

G'85GMSpecial1.png

GHamerJrNicole.jpg

GHamerSpecialChristine.jpg

3PUSpecial_0611.jpg

PA210449.jpg

100_9236.jpg

100_9745.jpg

Special Kahler.jpg

Those are some Xtra Special Special’s!! Crown’s, 3 Mini’s... the white one is my favorite of that harvest tho!! Did or do you own all of them?? Jealous!!

The 'white' one is actually a butt-ugly gray that has aged (yellowed) making it even more attractive. The picture makes it look better.

Did somebody say Special?

The black '81 - that I bought it new in 1984 - is still my #1. The neck is skinny and perfect, and everything is exactly the way it's supposed to be.

Specials_1.JPG

10 minutes ago, BTMN said:

Sustain Blocks Rule!

WyldBil Pirate special #5

wyldbil4.jpg

wyldbil7.jpg

wyldbil5.jpg

I've always wondered what the story was with the thinner lower horn on the wyldbil special. I came after he had passed and wasn't aware of the details. 

Also, I've loved the couple of p90 specials from the 90's I've had or played. A Gibson currently fills that void, but I would love another Hamer Special or two. I have no idea about the 80's ones though. 

Archived