Hamer Fan Club Message Center

On 5/5/2019 at 8:23 AM, Punkavenger said:

If I was asking $6000 for a guitar I would offer free shipping. 

It's funny because I paid 9000.00 for two guitars and still paid shipping. To a VERY reputable person who is a member here. Everybody wants something for nothing.

😉

It's just a matter of if you want to sell your guitar or not. Everyone likes to think they are getting a deal and free shipping is a nice perk. Or you can have your 4 digit sit under the bed for the next 6 years. Your choice I guess.  $6000 isn't exactly a bargain price. An item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. A few years back I was looking for a specific vintage receiver, I found a guy on a audio forum that had 3 of them. He want $750 each and I personally thought they were worth more in the $500 range. He wouldn't budge on the price and guess what? He still has a garage full of vintage audio equipment and no cash. 

2 hours ago, Punkavenger said:

$6000 isn't exactly a bargain price. An item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. 

I personally think it's an excellent price considering the rarity of a 4 digit Standard in excellent unmolested condition & not to mention the overall quality... these guitars don't pop up in this condition very often & had this been a Gibson, it'd be worth at least double that... the only problem is most of us don't have $6,000 that they're willing to spend on a guitar... I'm no longer buying guitars but had this been a few years ago and I had the money, I would have snagged this up in a heartbeat!.. it's such a nice guitar it's actually making me reconsider... & would be happy to pay the shipping with insurance 😉

5 hours ago, Punkavenger said:

It's just a matter of if you want to sell your guitar or not. Everyone likes to think they are getting a deal and free shipping is a nice perk. Or you can have your 4 digit sit under the bed for the next 6 years. Your choice I guess.  $6000 isn't exactly a bargain price. An item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. A few years back I was looking for a specific vintage receiver, I found a guy on a audio forum that had 3 of them. He want $750 each and I personally thought they were worth more in the $500 range. He wouldn't budge on the price and guess what? He still has a garage full of vintage audio equipment and no cash. 

I do not HAVE to sell this, I don't have a tax bill to pay or anything like that. The simple matter is this, I don't play it that often. So, I want it to go to someone who will play the crap out of it. Could I build a frame for it and hang it on the wall, sure...but what a waste! $6000.00 for a clean unbroken piece, there really aren't that many out there left is TOTALLY a bargain. Out of 750 4 digits total, probably ~400 of them standards and probably less than half are unbroken, or orig finish. This is a damn near perfect guitar, especially for it's age, ok, not perfect, it's got some miles, but no bruises...it's been well cared for.

The bottom line is this, everyone wants to be a member of the club, but no one wants to pay the fee. Everyone here likes to say how Hamer is the best, but when a piece like this comes up people squawk about the price. ....Owning this guitar is not for everyone.

38 minutes ago, 6onthesly said:

The bottom line is this, everyone wants to be a member of the club, but no one wants to pay the fee. Everyone here likes to say how Hamer is the best, but when a piece like this comes up people squawk about the price. ....Owning this guitar is not for everyone.

This should be on the message board header.

1 minute ago, kizanski said:

This should be on the message board header.

42 minutes ago, 6onthesly said:

I do not HAVE to sell this, I don't have a tax bill to pay or anything like that. The simple matter is this, I don't play it that often. So, I want it to go to someone who will play the crap out of it. Could I build a frame for it and hang it on the wall, sure...but what a waste! $6000.00 for a clean unbroken piece, there really aren't that many out there left is TOTALLY a bargain. Out of 750 4 digits total, probably ~400 of them standards and probably less than half are unbroken, or orig finish. This is a damn near perfect guitar, especially for it's age, ok, not perfect, it's got some miles, but no bruises...it's been well cared for.

Which is exactly my point. There are a lot of cheap bastards here at the HFC. I couldn't sell a mint SFG Daytona for $600 bucks a few years back. That thing was beautiful and perfect in every way. Sometimes you need to sweeten the pot. It's mostly psychological. What's the most free shipping going to cost you $65 plus whatever the insurance would be  ... $200?  Would you take $5800 for the 4 digit if you knew it was going to sell? I bet you would. 

2 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

I personally think it's an excellent price considering the rarity of a 4 digit Standard in excellent unmolested condition & not to mention the overall quality... these guitars don't pop up in this condition very often & had this been a Gibson, it'd be worth at least double that... the only problem is most of us don't have $6,000 that they're willing to spend on a guitar... I'm no longer buying guitars but had this been a few years ago and I had the money, I would have snagged this up in a heartbeat!.. it's such a nice guitar it's actually making me reconsider... & would be happy to pay the shipping with insurance 😉

Hey Dave, you're a hell of a stand up guy. Thanks for the PM's.

5 minutes ago, Punkavenger said:

Which is exactly my point. There are a lot of cheap bastards here at the HFC. I couldn't sell a mint SFG Daytona for $600 bucks a few years back. That thing was beautiful and perfect in every way. Sometimes you need to sweeten the pot. It's mostly psychological. What's the most free shipping going to cost you $65 plus whatever the insurance would be  ... $200?  Would you take $5800 for the 4 digit if you knew it was going to sell? I bet you would. 

So for the shipping, everyone wants overnight on a piece like this. No one does ground. Right, the longer its in shipping's hands, the more likely it is to break. So, insured and over night is 600.00 to go across the country. I'm on the west coast.

8 minutes ago, Punkavenger said:

Which is exactly my point. There are a lot of cheap bastards here at the HFC. I couldn't sell a mint SFG Daytona for $600 bucks a few years back. That thing was beautiful and perfect in every way.

Yea, that's crazy to me. These guitars are the best of the best, and of course including Shishkov, yet people don't want to pay for it. Let's face it, the guitars are worth more now, and the ones in amazing condition are worth paying for. ....or don't.

I just don't get it sometimes....😫

Nice Hamers are sometimes as rare as the person who has the money to spend at a given moment.  Sometimes a model will pop up at a high price and five other people jump in trying to get a similar price-- and they do!  Then all the people looking for a particular model stop spending and prices fall. 

Hold out for your price.  The buying seasons change for everyone. 

A GREAT guitar IS a GREAT guitar, you just have to find the right person that is willing to throw down on it.IF you don't have to sell it then stick to your guns and wait till that person sees this guitar and says yeah! I WANT that guitar!................ and can pay for it!  It IS  rare and beautiful [And in very fine condition no doubting that.Steve is right on with his statement that "Nice Hamers are sometimes as rare as the person who has the money to spend at a given moment." 

I agree with Steve. There was a black four digit Standard on Reverb that was on there for a very long time. He was asking like $4800. It wasn't in near this good of shape but it sat so long it made me wonder if four digits weren't going for super huge dollars anymore (always thought they were more like $8k-$10k). I thought real hard about getting that one but didn't. Then of course one day....gone. Depends on who has the money and who is looking I guess.

Beautiful guitar by the way, 6onthesly. Real beautiful. GLWTS. 😁

A four digit is on my bucket list like a lot of us here I think.

15 hours ago, Scarab85 said:

Beautiful guitar by the way, 6onthesly. Real beautiful. GLWTS. 😁

A four digit is on my bucket list like a lot of us here I think.

Thanks Bud! It's an awesome guitar for sure.

Don't know if this is a option/desire for you but a trade or a partial trade plus cash can be a good thing also. Both my Hamer "Sunbursts" went that way when selling them became a issue...................like people just not knowing much about the brand or the guitars.That is one thing you have going for you...................you have the FLAGSHIP of Hamer guitars.:)

2 hours ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

Don't know if this is a option/desire for you but a trade or a partial trade plus cash can be a good thing also. Both my Hamer "Sunbursts" went that way when selling them became a issue...................like people just not knowing much about the brand or the guitars.That is one thing you have going for you...................you have the FLAGSHIP of Hamer guitars.:)

Thanks for the suggestion. Interesting thought. Currently, I'm lightening the load. There's one guitar that I'm interested, but I'm fairly certain a partial trade is not on the table. Otherwise I might be into it. That is super cool that it worked for you.

I appreciate the comments.

Archived