Hamer Fan Club Message Center

3D amp tone

DeVai

Since I am the mathman...

a flat piece of paper is 2D.   Length and width or base and height..  3D adds the third dimension to the two options.  

so a flat piece of paper can lay flat on a table. L and W.   It could be stood on it’s side, base and height.  3D is length , width, and height.

so, the sound of an amp doesn’t just go along the floor,2D . It also doesn’t jus go straight up. Again 2D.  It goes up, down and all around.  3D.

Tone is hard to describe sometimes....but “3D”smacks of TGP knobbery... see RobB’s post for further elucidation.

People often say the tweed Bassman and Bandmaster have a “swirling” tone, and they are refueling to the multiple speaker interplay, not Trem or vibrato.

Good Tone can be hard to describe, but I know it when I hear it!

9 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

People often say the tweed Bassman and Bandmaster have a “swirling” tone, and they are refueling to the multiple speaker interplay, not Trem or vibrato.

I think you're right about it being weird phase relationships with multiple speakers.  The term has often confused me so I tend to side with RobB too. 

I've been playing with new DAW software recently and reminds me a bit of how synth folks tend to go ga-ga for additional modulation sources.  Anything to make the patch feel "dynamic" and "alive".  But with guitar it's somehow a kind of tone that does it in the absence of explicit modulation - that would be...  cheating? 

It's almost more like the way analog synths drift a little and provide a bit of non-determinism to the tone.

You need to tape one pair of these over both your ears to hear it. Red over the right ear, and the blue over the left ear. It's a bit of a hazzle but so worth it. It really works. Try it! 

660574.png

On 4/10/2019 at 9:03 AM, Studio Custom said:

What ever happened to haunting mids? 

spacer.png

Great pedal and troll all in one ;)

On 4/10/2019 at 7:26 AM, Devnor said:

My IIC+ has 3D amp tone in spades.  Do I get double points for that?

Wait......3D from a 2C? What brand of batteries are you using?

I know that many describe EL34s has having a kind of "3D Swirl of sound", but that's about it.

Otherwise, sounds like cork sniffing.. or sniffing something else.

Archived