Hamer Fan Club Message Center

"Furniture Guitars" Fo Sho (for sale)

Okay, at extreme risk of revealing the depths of my depravity, I am going to post a couple of things. Why? well, I am approaching a major (read big round) age milestone. Sooner or later someone is going to deal with a whole buncha stuff when I am gone. So, I keep trying to scale back. It is NEVER a straight line. I HAVE sold many guitars lately. These two have attracted the attention of one repeat buyer (five guitars last week). My guess is that, if he buys these as well, they may soon be headed off to some collector's vault in Asia. (No, not Japan). So, why not at least post an alert?

And, yes, I know they are way over the top in just about every possible way, including the price......Let me say, for perspective, I have had a lot of pretty nice guitars. Any many that were too fancy for many people. I have always liked working with wood, in my barely talented amateurish way, and so I appreciate it when people more talented than myself do add something of an "artistic touch" to their work. Even if some others think it is way too indulgent. I have never been afraid to play any instrument I have ever owned. I WILL say that these two do "intimidate me" just a little.

First is a 2013 Private Stock DC-245. Which means a doublecut guitar with a 24.5" scale. Sort of a predecessor to the 594 series. In a "Zombie Skin Stage 1" finish. EI rosewood neck, Madagascar rosewood board, African Mahogany body and quilted maple top. Pickups are, IMO, one of the best combinations of the "PAF" flavor pickups, with a 57/08 neck and 59/09 bridge. It has the usual "McCarty" type electronics, with a push/pull coil split.

RW buttons and locking tuners. Also somewhat unique, and apparently no longer even available.....The inlays and side dots are genuine ivory......Legal, as they are mammoth ivory. Mammoths are extinct, NOT endangered. The centers of the inlays are "leopard skin". Obviously, a natural stone type of material NOT animal parts!

Topped off with a Private Stock leather hard case. It dates to 2013 (I am the second owner, as best I know) and it does have the original certificate. Does the ivory and such contribute to greater tone? Of course not. But the combination of woods, IMO, does make it a great sounding guitar, with that extra bit of "hi fi" or "grand piano" character I like from a rosewood neck. I did post it locally for $5950.

I believe my Oriental buyer will be back in town later this week, wanting to look at both this and the other (to follow). In the meantime, I will just mention it here in the event anyone knows anyone more stateside. Otherwise, feel free to check out my lousy attempt at picture taking......Or decry the notion that people should actually pay such STOOPID amounts for a guitar, if that is your preference. What can I say? Not everything I do is completely rational. As is even more obvious when I consider what I paid. 47490720242_9e6896fb96.jpg40599984673_700afbcf70_k.jpg47513063952_376dcdc461_k.jpg 40599985433_65a7506815_k.jpg32623518577_770fc96a03_k.jpg

Well, could anything be even MORE silly? Sure, why not? I imagine that PRS has now soared way past 7,000 Private Stocks. and obviously keeps trying to out do itself....

Also from 2013, here is a "Paul's Guitar LTD Run". 1 of 50, each with a different top and color combination.

What could be even more over the top? Well. the biggest thing is the chaltecoco neck. Say what? it is related to pernambuco and both are in the Brazilian rw family. There are many that think either one is superior to the otherwise coveted Brazilian Rosewood. They are certainly harder to come by. I tend to think likewise, but YMMV. But let me point out that classical concert violinists and other string instrument players apparently will pay thousands for a pernambuco bow which weighs 3-4 ounces even with the magical strings secured from a virgin unicorn attached. Or something like that......

So, what else. BRW board. Mammoth ivory again ( dots and inlays AND purfling with 14k gold centers on the stylized birds. The other things about this model is the "hot new concept" pickups). Well, PRSh is a salesman and ALWAYS has some hot new thing. The 408 pickups are named for having 8 different sound options,  based upon each pickup being splittable separately. But, beyond that, when split, extra coils are added. Which means, a single coil sounds, but not the usual drop in volume. (Yes, that CAN take some getting used to). It DOES combine to take this one that much beyond the first one. IMO.

And if not obvious....The "Dragon's Breath" finish that does look like something is spitting fire. Game of Thrones fans, anyone?

This is a guitar and finish where I find it very difficult to actually capture the depth of the figure in the wood.

Oh yeah, BTW, it comes with the paisley Private Stock case and the signature on the headstock is also inlaid ivory. Did I say bling too many times?

And, I did mention the super salesman......A link to PRSh and his own demo. I do take his hype with a grain of salt, but I also think he does a pretty good good in this case....

I have NOT listed this one anywhere else. I did tell my would be serial buyer that I would be looking for $8k. We will see what he thinks at the end of the week. Maybe. As best I can tell, there is only one from this series offered currently, that for well over $9k. Not as attractive,  IMO.

As above, at least enjoy the pictures. Or ignore if you prefer. I do not think I am exaggerating in saying I cannot recall a guitar even being as good. So why do I sell something like this and keep going back to the same 2 (3 now, with the recently received Shishkov)? There is something in those three that just "fits me" better, at least part of which is that longer scale. (Beyond that, a longer discussion).

Hopefully, but the time I DO reach that big birthday later this year, there are a few less THINGS to have to worry about.....

And now, if you will excuse me, I have to resume my national apology tour. Seems people thought I was sneaking up behind guitars and touching them inappropriately. And here I thought it was only my PLAYING that offended people!

PRS PS 4387.jpgPRS PS 4387-4.jpgPRS PS 4387-6.jpg

33689217948_8de9641296_k.jpg

40599985673_d49b303177_k.jpg

47566027461_0cf8a7397d_k.jpg

47566026661_8b6ab3318c_k.jpg

47513064172_092431b9c5_k.jpg

Late breaking update. I feel like I am living in Bizarro world. My new buddy came by today. I took back the Huber Orca and a fairly sizable pile of cash for the "Zombie" above.

Remains to be seen what else he does. Now says he (and/or a friend overseas) may want to come back for the "Paul's Guitar" and three others. I just may be able to fund more charitable giving this year than I planned......

In the meantime, a link back to the original post with the Orca, which is once more available.....

Archived