Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Will US pedals work in Europe?

Pieman

Question

14 answers to this question

The electrical supply in Slovenia is 230 VAC at 50 Hz.

They use either IEC Type "C" plugs like this:image.png or IEC Type "F" plugs like this:image.png

Depending upon what you are bringing over there, you can probably find the proper wall wart power supply at Digi-Key or Mouser. Since they are neither cheap nor easy to find over here you may want to consider just using batteries if you are bringing pedals that will take them.

Apart from the power supply, there might be slightly sound differences for the 60Hz vs. 50Hz differences of the networks. However, you wouldn’t be able to compare. So, don’t care about it. 

3 hours ago, JochenP said:

We talking about pedals? So I think 9Volt battery should be the same all over the world 🙂

No. In Germany they run in 50Hz. B)

As long as it isn`t pedals with internal power supplys, like an original Chandler Tube driver, you won`t need any converters. I assume your friends in Slovenia has some sort of power supplys for pedals readily available. 

Some pedals do not use batteries, so they must have a proper adapter.  Make notes of the voltage and amperage requirements for each pedal along with the polarity of the plug.  Your friends might be able to find proper adapters in Slovenia. 

Most if not all pedals run on DC power, so the local frequency wouldn't matter, as the AC gets rectified to DC. only thing to worry about is the voltage.

On 4/16/2019 at 11:25 PM, tbonesullivan said:

Most if not all pedals run on DC power, so the local frequency wouldn't matter, as the AC gets rectified to DC. only thing to worry about is the voltage.

Tbone got this right!  When I started reading about hertz differences I was about to correct this misconception myself.

Archived