Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Shipping mishaps.

11 hours ago, kizanski said:

That's what I was thinking as well.  I'd bet my house on it.

It took what, a week? There's no way any real guitar tech would do such a rush job. Not to mention, all that was done was a gluing. He's a scourge to the used guitar market.

On 4/19/2019 at 6:29 PM, tbonesullivan said:

It took what, a week? There's no way any real guitar tech would do such a rush job. Not to mention, all that was done was a gluing. He's a scourge.

Corrected.

On 4/16/2019 at 2:01 PM, Never2Late said:

HOW MANY 1999 Silver-Sparkle Hamer USA Phantom A5s were made?  A few....but only a few.

How many are they making NOW?  Zero.

Zero 1999 Silver Sparkle Phantoms were made.

17 hours ago, Dasein said:

Maybe a better question -- how would you "undo" this fix?

Well, from what I've gathered about this guy from this thread, he probably used superglue, so see the above offering of "The Monterey Method."

Sometimes the broken ends of the wood can fit together correctly, which is something only the person doing the repair would know.  With that total break it would be best to add some splines to the repair.  Considering the profit motive of the seller, the repair likely was done as cheaply as possible. 

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:14 PM, Dasein said:

Maybe a better question -- how would you "undo" this fix?

Step one - strip the finish and see what's what.....

Greg always ALWAYS adds splines to the break, and worked the new wood down to the original neck radius.

A proper refinish of the affected area, properly blended-in makes the repair invisible.

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

You can buy a lot more white Elmer's glue for what one tiny tube of super glue costs. 

Yes, but you have to actually care to properly repair it with white glue, where as you can hold the two pieces together for 30 seconds and appear to have repaired it with superglue.

4 hours ago, Never2Late said:

Step one - strip the finish and see what's what.....

Greg always ALWAYS adds splines to the break, and worked the new wood down to the original neck radius.

A proper refinish of the affected area, properly blended-in makes the repair invisible.

I've only seen once when he didn't use a spline, and that was a partial break with plenty of surface area, that also didn't have some one decide to do a home repair to it first.

Sadly more and more guitars will pass into the hands of people with drill buffers and non-existent gluing skills.

17 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

I've only seen once when he didn't use a spline, and that was a partial break with plenty of surface area, that also didn't have some one decide to do a home repair to it first.

Sadly more and more guitars will pass into the hands of people with drill buffers and non-existent gluing skills.

If I were to invest in a guitar like this, I'd ask Greg to make the affected area "stronger than stock" for peace-of-mind and I believe splines would go-in whether the break was complete, or not....YMMV.

2 hours ago, Never2Late said:

If I were to invest in a guitar like this, I'd ask Greg to make the affected area "stronger than stock" for peace-of-mind and I believe splines would go-in whether the break was complete, or not....YMMV.

No, I'm sure Brent's repair is just fine.  

Archived