Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Shipped an amp--buyer says it's DOA

I shipped my Marshal DSL50 via UPS a couple days ago. The buyer had it for ONE DAY and says it's DOA. He took it to his "amp tech," said the tubes are good, so send it back.

I tested the amp before I packed it, and it worked fine. I asked the buyer if he checked to see if the tubes were firmly seated, and to check the fuses. I also asked what type of cable he used to connect the speaker cabinet. I'm waiting for his response.

Something doesn't seem right to me.

When you ship anything, you first make a video of yourself using the item.

"HELLO, it April 11, 2019.  I am about to ship this amplifier to John Smith of 127 Main Street Dipshit, MA.  I will demonstrate all aspects of the amplifier are functioning."

I then play through the amp and twist all the knobs and flip all the switches.  I send said video before I send the package and insist they acknowledge receipt of said video AND tell me if there are any concerns they would like to address prior to shipment. 

By doing so, the bar has been set the amp worked just fine before shipment.  

40 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

When you ship anything, you first make a video of yourself using the item.

"HELLO, it April 11, 2019.  I am about to ship this amplifier to John Smith of 127 Main Street Dipshit, MA.  I will demonstrate all aspects of the amplifier are functioning."

I then play through the amp and twist all the knobs and flip all the switches.  I send said video before I send the package and insist they acknowledge receipt of said video AND tell me if there are any concerns they would like to address prior to shipment. 

By doing so, the bar has been set the amp worked just fine before shipment.  

If anyone needed that final nudge into the realm of never doing an internet gear deal again, read the above.

Some things in life should not require so much effort.

I was working from home yesterday. I saw one of those ubiquitous white Sprinter vans stop across the street in front of my neighbor's house.  The back door opened and the next thing I saw was a large box rolling out end over end.  Then the delivery guy came around from the side, picked up the box and carried it to the neighbor's front step, where he stopped and threw the box 3-4 feet onto the porch.  Looked like he had to put some effort into it.

I'm surprised anything arrives unbroken anymore.

C'mon...who here DOESN'T have their own personal "amp tech" on call 24/7?

6 hours ago, scottcald said:

On call?  I have someone who lives onsite.  You know, in case I buy an amp from Thundersteel. 😀

I have you know that the Swart amp I sold arrived safe and sound!  🙃

I heard back from the buyer. His "amp tech" (or "guitar tech," which he uses interchangeably) said he "tested" all the tubes, and said they were fine, and "it has something more seriously wrong." He also said one of the fuses (didn't say which one) was bad. The buyer also sent a video showing the amp was on, but no sound.

I suggested he swap ALL the tubes to see what happens, as a bad tube is more than likely the problem (I'm hoping, anyway).

I asked Reverb staff how to proceed, and said if I give a refund, to wait until the amp is shipped back to me before I give it.

I"ve shipped amps and guitars before without incident, so I suppose a glitch can happen once in a while.

1 hour ago, SSII x 2 said:

Oh yah, and it's always 'my' amp tech or guitar tech.  Like the tech's a piece of their property or something...

The real high rollers have luthiers.

96Nnt3b.png

4 hours ago, SSII x 2 said:

Oh yah, and it's always 'my' amp tech or guitar tech.  Like the tech's a piece of their property or something...

Yep.  I've been on The Gear Page before and seen that with my own eyes!  :D 

How much does a "personal luthier" make?  "My amp tech" could be someone's official job title.   Some rich lawyer or doctor might have someone on his payroll.  You guys should not be so quick to assume someone is not being truthful when they talk about their repair staff. 

18 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

How much does a "personal luthier" make? 

The personal luthiers at Guitar Center make $10.00/hour. 

I was exploring "side hustles".

On 4/12/2019 at 12:58 AM, cmatthes said:

C'mon...who here DOESN'T have their own personal "amp tech" on call 24/7?

I do. It's me. 

I just never tell em that. 

Archived