Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Why I’m not so crazy about new country music

Someone showed me that video a few weeks ago and it reaffirmed why I despise country music. 

Wonder if they have one of those mashup videos for nickelback...

Next up, a mashup of the worst of Elvis' movie soundtrack songs. But how would you know where to start?

No Room To Rhumba in a Sports Car

Yoga Is as Yoga Does

And, of course, Ito Eats......

1 hour ago, Stike said:

Florida Georgia Line makes me want to kick puppies.

Musical pablum at its worst. It makes me want to start my own video channel modeled after Rick Beato's podcasts, but instead, focused on "What Makes This Song So Shitty".  

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, it was Nickelback's producer who "discovered" these idiots. That speaks volumes.

17 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Musical pablum at its worst. It makes me want to start my own video channel modeled after Rick Beato's podcasts, but instead, focused on "What Makes This Song So Shitty".  

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, it was Nickelback's producer who "discovered" these idiots. That speaks volumes.

Bro country and all its variants are revolting to my ears but those guys are fucking egregious.

I was listening to Elton John's 80's stuff the other day and thinking how bad pop music has gotten - all of it.  You can break it into country, rap, whatever, but it's all really just pop music.  

A lot of pop in the 80s and 90s was actually pretty damned hard to make, even if you didn't like it.  But then, there was a lot of trash that has been forgotten because it was trash.  The only difference now is that I'm not sure that there is any pop today that anyone will give a damn about two years from now.  We shall see. 

The sense that pop is drivel rotting brains is not especially new.  Let me introduce you to the idea's patron saint, Theodor Adorno.  I used to find him rather pretentious, but I'm starting to wonder if he didn't have a point. 

https://listentobettermusic.wordpress.com/2014/08/16/on-popular-music-by-theodor-adorno/

*and no, I'm not a cultural Marxist or critical theorist, nor am I trying to get political here.  But I think even sans the Marxist approach to it (structure, base, society replication, so on), there are some interesting arguments that he made. 

1 hour ago, scottcald said:

Yeah, there's lots of throwaway stuff going on these days, I can't imagine people in 30 years listening to this stuff with fondness. 

There will be dipshits who were 16-22 and love bro country now that will be going to see all those acts at rib fests, state fairs, and local downtown live events in 30 years.

Mass produced pop is pukey, regardless of style.

I love country music and there are plenty of amazing players and legit songwriters NOT chasing Bro-country and Nashville hype.

My two favorite examples right now of legit country bands that are touring and releasing great stuff are Turnpike Troubadours (7&7, Good Lord Lorrie, Diamonds and Gasoline) and Reckless Kelly (Wicked Twisted Road, Sunset Motel).

Buck Owens' "Close Up the Honky Tonks" (written by Red Simpson) is a stereotypical Bakersfield Sound/twangy-guitar-and-drums-for-dancin' type of country song that is as good as it gets. That said, the Buckaroos' and Dwight Yoakum's versions are 2/4. Coming back from the Nashville Guitar Show a week ago I heard a 4/4 version by Forrest Lee Jr. that blew me away, not only because of the tempo but the guitar breaks therein. You can't help but sing along; I was in the SUV by myself and managed to  hit some high harmony parts, a la Don Rich. From Lee's latest release Raising the Bar which is a, er, 'theme' album about beer.

1 hour ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

Buck Owens' "Close Up the Honky Tonks" (written by Red Simpson) is a stereotypical Bakersfield Sound/twangy-guitar-and-drums-for-dancin' type of country songs that is as good as it gets. That said, the Buckaroos' and Dwight Yoakum's versions are 2/4. Coming back from the Nashville Guitar Show a week ago I hear a 4/4 version by Forrest Lee Jr. that blew me away, not only because of the tempo but the guitar breaks therein. You can't help but sing along. From Lee's latest release Raising the Bar which is a, er, 'theme' album about beer.

Dwight's cover of that is on my short list of favorite songs, particularly after losing a girl to a bar once. 

The same thing is wrong with 'modern country' that was bad about pre-Beatles rock.

The same handful of writers and producers and session players contributed to every

popular song.  Musical inbreeding and it shows now just like it did back then...

23 hours ago, Stike said:

There will be dipshits who were 16-22 and love bro country now that will be going to see all those acts at rib fests, state fairs, and local downtown live events in 30 years.

It's the new pop, this garbage. Music for people who don't actually like music but like the sound of this song or that song (that are the exact same)

24 minutes ago, Sugartune said:

It's the new pop, this garbage. Music for people who don't actually like music but like the sound of this song or that song (that are the exact same)

You said it!  Everyone 'likes' music, but not too many try and understand what goes into making it...

^^^^Well said. Not just genres, but bands or players themselves all too many of which end up fueling their careers with the wispy, ever-dissipating fumes of nostalgia, as has been discussed on the forum before. There are notable exceptions, however.

My wife watched the CMAs a couple of weeks ago.  I heard ONE song that sounded country to me the entire show.  The rest was horrible no matter whatever genre you want to classify it as, but it sure as hell wasn't country.  And the entire crowd was on its feet and singing every song.

While I don't wish to defend bro country AT ALL, I will vouch for the musicianship of the lads in Parmalee. Scott and Matt played classic rock covers for years with their dad in Jerry Thomas and the Thomas Brothers Band back in the early '90s, and they were pretty damn good at it. They know their shit. I am happy to see them succeed, even if I don't care for their current choice of mashed-up genre.

Archived